Time to re-evaluate router-table routers?

I have the larger Triton and it has worked well for over three years. From casual observation I think it is still the best bang for the buck today. However, if I won the lottery I would probably replace it with the set up shown on the site below. It uses a special Milwaukee in a Jessem table with a Jessem lift and fence. Cheers, JG

Reply to
JGS

I'm happy with the Freud FT1700VCE. It adjusts, raises and locks for above the table bit changes. I used to hate bit changing and height adjustmentwith my Dewalt plunge router. I haven't lifted the Freud out of the table since I dropped it in there 6 months ago. Its easy to use with everything above the table.

My only complaints: a. The paper template for the mounting holes was not accurate. b. The plastic base plate was riveted to the metal base and partially blocked one of the threaded table mounting holes. c. When unlocked for height adjustment the router is a bit wobbly.

Jim (happy with Freud)

Reply to
Woodhead

Since I am not sure what that is, I would have to say no. :)

Reply to
Locutus

I have no trouble tightening the collet from above the table using the Porter-Cable wrenches. Any decent lift can raise the collet above the table.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Bingo! Easy as pie. The Milwaukee I use, has a button that releases the threaded adjustment bar. Down comes the motor. Change the bit, Up goes the motor to roughly where I want it, let go of the button, and twirl the bit into position. I do like the idea of the Triton's lower minimum speed.

Reply to
Robatoy

I think there is still a market for all three. For the first timer, or rare user, screw the router base under the table and be done with it. For the occasional-to-moderate user, a router with built-in above table height adjustment is more economical than a lift, but provides faster adjustment than a fixed-base router. For the heavy user, a dedicated router lift is typically sturdier and has better precision.

Many of the routers with built-in above table adjustment aren't really built to withstand daily use. I used a Freud 1700 for less than a year before it died. It's replacement (under warranty) only lasted a couple of weeks before the spindle lock broke. Typically, the lift mechanisms have a lot of backlash, and use plastic parts that distort or break with heavy use.

I recently got the Milwaukee 5625 and the Woodpecker router plate specifically because there is an upgrade path if a failure occurs. It is far superior to the Freud, in terms of rigidity. We'll see how well it holds up. If the lift mechanism in the router breaks, I'll upgrade to the Woodpecker router lift made for the 5625 body. So at least I won't have to re-do my router table again.

Regards, John.

Never Enough M> After several postings to the thread "Triton Router - she no start" I

Reply to
the_tool_man