Time Needed Acclimate Oak Trim

I purchased some 1-by and 5/4-by oak today for some window trim (Craftsman-style) that I plan to do starting next week. Is 7 days enough time to acclimate it to minimize shrinkage? I live in the Phila area.

Would taking it out for a few cycles in the relative cold (not brutal, yet) accelerate the process?

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

A week is probably OK. It really depends on the differential in heat and moisture. Stack the wood loosely so air can get around it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Couldn't agree with that more. The worst thing to do is waste your time on a project.

If it turns out poorly, you will have to redo it. That not only doubles your cost, but it doubles your time, and to add insult to injury, you will have to tear all the poorly installed material out and dispose of it.

A moisture meter can look mighty inexpensive from some perspectives.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Can't/won't disagree w/ the other recommendations for sure, use a moisture meter. OTOH, where did the material come from and where has it been stored? If it were kiln-dry properly and stored inside it's highly likely for the purpose it will be just fine--after all in Craftsman style you'll not be having wide cross grain miters, etc., where the movement is going to be of much significance.

If it's been outside given it's 5/4 instead of 4 or 3, I'd prefer a little longer than just one week, but still all in all, probably ok if it's been shedded/dry since coming out of the kiln.

As for the second question, "no". If anything that'll simply down the process of acclimation by changing the boundary conditions to which the material is exposed and thereby the direction in which changes will being trying to head.

--

Reply to
dpb

Interesting.....looks like a meter will even fit in a Christmas stocking....

I think I will take your advice.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

If you do get a meter don't worry much about a specific target just watch over a few days to see if it is changing.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Unless, of course, it's wringing wet... :)

Reply to
dpb

I assume somwhere south of 10%

Reply to