Time for new planer

I have decided to replace my venerable old Delta 12"planer. I am fairly close to selecting the DW735 although I haven't ruled out a larger floor model. After Googling this group I read some threads that suggested there is/was a problem with sprockets breaking on the 735 when making cuts deeper than 1/16". Does anybody know if this was a design/manufacturing problem. If so has Dewalt acknowledged and resolved the problem? Thanks

You may want to check out the Delta 680 on clearance at Loews. It was posted here that they had them for $229. That would be a hekofa buy. For a floor model, I'd look at Wilke Machine.
Edwin Pawlowski said:

What he said, only look for the 22-580 model. I just about lost it when I saw these stacked up in the store - I paid full price... It's a $500 two speed planer that has received top ratings for $229.
FWIW,
Greg G.
Semi-portable planers that run on 120v seem to be really popular now, and prices seem to be falling. Do they accomplish the task almost as well as ($$) 230v floor models?
Dave
<Greg G.> wrote in message

And have been since the late 80's I still have the one I bought in 1988,

I am not too sure I would agree to that but you can on occasion find a good deal on a close out model.
Do they accomplish the task almost as well as

Actually they can do a better job of leaving a better surface IMHO. The price you pay though is that they are slower, take much shallower cuts and are not really intended for a long periods of daily use as compared to many floor models. If you intend to use a planer a lot, I still go with the floor models with induction motors.
Dave said:

Most leave a nice surface finish, but are noisy as hell because of the universal motors. They are not meant for production work, and are limited in width - the widest "portable" planer I have seen is 13". They are slower, lighter, designed for short operating bursts, limited in width, but much cheaper to own. Snipe has all but been eliminated in most better models, although stock feed/extraction technique still plays a large roll in eliminating it.
FWIW,
Greg G.
<Greg G.> wrote in message

Actually I remember the stationary planers be quite loud also. The wood whacking is louder than the motor.
Greg G. wrote in message

Damn the Delta 22-680 for $229 would of made my heart stop a couple tics :) I'm leaning toward the Dewalt for 3 reasons;3 knives, chip extraction and still semi portable. I've seen just enough stuff here and on the net about these sprockets to make me nervous. Guess I'll contact their rep and see what they say.

Why not an Oliver? http://www.eaglemachinery-repair.com / http://www.olivermachinery.net / Alex
On 30 Sep 2004 10:26:56 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Yahoo) wrote:

I love my 735 but frankly would have bought the Delta 580 -- if it had been $229.
I take light cuts anyway - never more that a 1/16" so I can't comment on the sprockets. Mine are fine and I'm snipe free too.

I've not yet got the knack for feed and removal of stock. A couple months ago I bought the extension tables hoping it would help, but the very little amount of stock I've run through since still had some good snipe to it.
What's the secret, I was wondering if I need to angle my feed tables a bit or something.
Also how short of boards are you able to get snipe free on?
Alan
On 2 Oct 2004 05:24:50 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net (Alan W) wrote:

20" last nite. Again, I take very light cuts - usually 1/32" to start and then 1/2 handle turns (1/64", IIRC) to finish up.
No extra tables on mine, just light lift upwards as they exit. About the only time I see snipe is when I'm rushing and put two boards thru at once...
Don't know, but there has been quite a bit of trash talk about the smaller planers on Amazon.com. Of course, those with an axe to grind....
Dave