Time For New Cordless Drill/Driver

Page 2 of 3
My Lithium didn't last a summer. The high heat in the shop kills the battery.
I hate to keep my tools in the house or create a special room with refrigeration.
Martin
On 5/25/2011 9:31 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

On 5/25/2011 9:57 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:

I don't know how a DIY outfit like the current Skil brand does it, but I've had the original for about three years and can't kill the damn thing. It stays in the tool bag behind the seat of the truck in all kinds of weather, always has a charge, even weeks after use, and has just the right amount of torque to drive hinge and drawer slide screws into plywood and mdf without stripping, and perfect for tight spots.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Festool should be so lucky ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 5/26/2011 6:53 AM, Swingman wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)
On 5/25/11 9:57 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:

Bosch has a 2-year battery life guarantee. I guess that's long enough to determine if they're any good.
--

-MIKE-

Note that the 18v dewalt lithium, NiCD, and NiMH batteries are for the most part interchangeable. If you get one and decide that it's not to your liking try another. No need to replace tools.
On 5/26/11 1:31 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

Wha? Are you saying those Dewalt batts fit the Bosch tools?
--

-MIKE-

No, I'm saying that if you have 18v dewalts you aren't locked into any given battery technology.

Just had one die (won't charge). I bought a bunch, cheap, so I'm not short of them, but perhaps I'll send it in.

I have two of the 14.4 Makita Drills, one set included the driver. The reason I have two is my wife was sure the old one (13-15 years old?) was going to die about 4 or 5 years ago. She bought a set including the driver as a Christmas gift then.
Both are performing great. The driver has seen thousands of screws including 300+ feet of fence and and new house, including deck. Starting to look a little rough but, outside of one dead charger, no problems.
RonB

I'm almost ashamed to admit it since no other respondents mentioned DeWalt, but that's what I've used for the past several years. In my case, the 18v models with fairly big heavy batteries. The only reason I'm commenting is that more recently, I bought my first impact driver, a Dewalt 12v with lithium ion battery which is more recent technology and a considerably lighter type of battery. Whatever brand you choose, I suggest you go with the lithium type of battery which holds a charge longer and charges faster. If by chance you do choose to go with an 18v impact driver, 18v lithium ion batteries are also just entering the market.
"Upscale" wrote:

Also had an 18VDC DeWalt drill along with a panel saw. for about 10 years before it was stolen.
Wore out at least 2 sets of batteries.
At the time it was stolen, it didn't owe me anything.
Lew

I'm on my third year of a 6 unit set of cordless DeWalt tools so I haven't yet approached the wearing out of any of the batteries. Just last month I had a look at some of the new 18v lithium ion batteries. Half the weight of the XRP batteries and almost have the size. What I'd like to see is some of those XRP battery casings retrofitted to hold some of those lithium ion battery cells. Doubt that's going to happen though. Naturally DeWalt will be after people buying entirely new cordless tools than just buying new updated batteries for them.
On 5/15/2011 6:33 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

I recently had a few batteries rebuilt; two for my 15v Panasonic drill/driver, two for my Makita 9v (which I use the heck out of, mostly that little reciprocating saw), and another for my *olde* DeWalt 14v set that I use in the shop primarily. I think I'll be getting batteries rebuilt rather than buying new tools, at least for the time being. The rebuild technology is very, very good...they come back with more pop than the originals and the process costs 50% or so less than buying new. I used an outfit called Primecell and wouldn't hesitate to recommend the service...
cg
On 5/16/11 12:48 PM, Charlie Groh wrote:

If you really want to save money, you can buy the cells and rebuild them yourself. It helps to own a small spot welder, but it can be done without.
--

-MIKE-

I had a DeWalt 14.4 volt that I used for over 10 years. When the batteries died I bought a Panasonic 18 volt. After about two years of use both batteries died. Replacement batteries for the Panasonic are not available locally and on-line prices are about $95 each.
I bought a new Dewalt 18 volt drill instead. It cost me less than two of the Panasonic batteries and the DeWalt batteries are readily available at a considerably lower cost.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
-MIKE- wrote:

and love it. Was an old PC user but their new ones suck! Amazon.com is the place to get em. I do and would like to try the Bosch and Milwaukee someday. But stuck on Makita for now!!!
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

I picked up my kit from Amazon as well. A combo drill/driver kit will probably cost less than the individual tools combined, not to mention come with multiple batteries.
At the time, the Makita LCT300W with light was cheaper than the LCT200W without light. Same tools, just one had a light. Glad I got that light, it's come in handy several times. (We drained one battery on it last night, and started work on a second.)
Puckdropper
"Rich" wrote in message
FWIW I own a 12 volt Makita impact and a 18 volt Bosch Impactor. I prefer the Makita.

I agree with those who recommend Makita or Milwaukee. I have the drill and impact driver in 18v by Makita and in 12V by Milwaukee. BUT if I were buying now I would be sure to get an impact driver that has a clutch. I broke a lot of screw heads off before I learned not to "impact" too much. And I'm using McFeeley's screws.
Max

Check local battery shops, marts, etc. A couple of shops in Wichita, where we used to live, would rebuild or update most cordless batteries.
RonB