Time For New Cordless Drill/Driver

I recently had a few batteries rebuilt; two for my 15v Panasonic drill/driver, two for my Makita 9v (which I use the heck out of, mostly that little reciprocating saw), and another for my *olde* DeWalt 14v set that I use in the shop primarily. I think I'll be getting batteries rebuilt rather than buying new tools, at least for the time being. The rebuild technology is very, very good...they come back with more pop than the originals and the process costs 50% or so less than buying new. I used an outfit called Primecell and wouldn't hesitate to recommend the service...

cg

Reply to
Charlie Groh

If you really want to save money, you can buy the cells and rebuild them yourself. It helps to own a small spot welder, but it can be done without.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Another vote for looking at a Panasonic. Bought a 12V one for SWMBO about 4.5 years ago, and it is still going strong. Granted, she doesn't use it day in or day out, but I've found I use it as much as my 18v Dewalt. The thing just FEELS so much better built than the Dewalt.

Regards, Roy

Reply to
Roy

RE: Subject

SFWIW, Lowes has a mailer out today that has an 18V lithium ion Bosch drill for $99.

Includes 2 batteries, charger & case.

Item: 300250.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I saw the boxes when I was at Lowes, today. Can't help but wonder if it's a cheaper version, for bait, or a loss leader... for bait. It's tempting, either way.

Reply to
-MIKE-

It's not. I got the 18V drill and Impactor for $199 at Christmas time. Very nice tools but when I don't need the torque I still prefer the 12V versions.

Good price. Highly recommended.

Reply to
krw

RE: Subject

SFWIW, Lowes has a mailer out today that has an 18V lithium ion Bosch drill for $99.

Includes 2 batteries, charger & case.

Item: 300250.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Looks like a Lowes scam.

No inventory in 3 major USA markets.

Lew

---------------------------------- "Lew Hodgett" wrote:

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Rich wrote in news:iqq4cc$rpq$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I picked up my kit from Amazon as well. A combo drill/driver kit will probably cost less than the individual tools combined, not to mention come with multiple batteries.

At the time, the Makita LCT300W with light was cheaper than the LCT200W without light. Same tools, just one had a light. Glad I got that light, it's come in handy several times. (We drained one battery on it last night, and started work on a second.)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

RE: Subject

SFWIW, Lowes has a mailer out today that has an 18V lithium ion Bosch drill for $99.

Includes 2 batteries, charger & case.

Item: 300250.

Lew

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Some how or another I must have won a Bosch Impactor impact driver 2~3 years ago, It showed up on my door step addressed to me with a return address direct from Bosch. No other information. Anyway it is an 18 volt version with 2 batteries, charger and case. I already had a 12 volt Makita. Both are ready to be used at any time however I always reach for the Makita. I am not sure what it is but the Makita just feels better and is still my preferred tool to use.

Reply to
Leon

Makita 18 volt use it everyday. Its light and strong. Bought the Impact too and love it. Was an old PC user but their new ones suck! Amazon.com is the place to get em. I do and would like to try the Bosch and Milwaukee someday. But stuck on Makita for now!!!

@@@@@@@@@@@@

FWIW I own a 12 volt Makita impact and a 18 volt Bosch Impactor. I prefer the Makita.

Reply to
Leon

That's an excellent deal, Lew. Wow, 1/2" chuck, too!

I ran a Bosch 14.4v Impactor happily for 3 years when the Makita 18v LIons came out, so I got one. I should probably sell that Bosch. I had thought the batteries were slowing down, but I had a client who wanted to help me put up his new porch, so I loaned the Bosch to him for the day and it kept right up with the Makita.

Both companies (and all their tools) get A+ ratings from me.

-- It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctively native American criminal class except Congress. -- Mark Twain

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I ended up getting this one from Lowes... the Bosch - 36618-02. Turns out 99 bucks was a darn good deal, as they are back up to $179 on the website. The batteries came, charged. That's already a plus in my book. :-)

I've heard reviews about lithium ion batteries not lasting as long... we'll see how that goes.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Can't be any worse than the Nicads on my last 3. Dead if left for more than 6 weeks - and wouldn't take or hold a charge after 3 or 4 years... My Lithium drill can sit on the shelf or 3 months and still have a good head of steam.

Reply to
clare

My Lithium didn't last a summer. The high heat in the shop kills the battery.

I hate to keep my tools in the house or create a special room with refrigeration.

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

I don't know how a DIY outfit like the current Skil brand does it, but I've had the original for about three years and can't kill the damn thing. It stays in the tool bag behind the seat of the truck in all kinds of weather, always has a charge, even weeks after use, and has just the right amount of torque to drive hinge and drawer slide screws into plywood and mdf without stripping, and perfect for tight spots.

should be so lucky ...

Reply to
Swingman

Bosch has a 2-year battery life guarantee. I guess that's long enough to determine if they're any good.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Note that the 18v dewalt lithium, NiCD, and NiMH batteries are for the most part interchangeable. If you get one and decide that it's not to your liking try another. No need to replace tools.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Wha? Are you saying those Dewalt batts fit the Bosch tools?

Reply to
-MIKE-

No, I'm saying that if you have 18v dewalts you aren't locked into any given battery technology.

Reply to
J. Clarke