Time For New Cordless Drill/Driver

Page 1 of 3
The disposable B&D cordless set I bought several years ago is finally biting the dust. I got more than my money's worth out of it and actually loved the drill and sawzall.
I think I like the idea of an impact driver this time around. If anyone sees any killer deals on cordless packages or even singles, please post them!
--

-MIKE-

In spewed forth:

My preferences are Milwakee and Bosch. Picked up a Milwakee 18v Impact here w/ no battery for 59 bucks already had 2 18v batteries http://www.tooliday.com /
ChairMan wrote:

I second the Milwaukee, have the 12V impact and driver and sawzall used on almost a daily basis and they work great. The impact is perfect for driving tek screws into metal cabinets.
--
PV

If you can't fix it with a hammer.......you have an electrical problem

RE: Subject
SFWIW, Lowes has a mailer out today that has an 18V lithium ion Bosch drill for $99.
Includes 2 batteries, charger & case.
Item: 300250.
Lew
Looks like a Lowes scam.
No inventory in 3 major USA markets.
Lew ---------------------------------- "Lew Hodgett" wrote:

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
The disposable B&D cordless set I bought several years ago is finally biting the dust. I got more than my money's worth out of it and actually loved the drill and sawzall.
I think I like the idea of an impact driver this time around. If anyone sees any killer deals on cordless packages or even singles, please post them!
--

-MIKE-

Go get yourself a Makita BTD141 kit. I got the heavy duty set because I often do decks and such. http://goo.gl/ezjit
You might be able to get away with the lighter weight BTD142HW kit. http://goo.gl/ijcAH
Makita is the Festool of Impacts, complete with built-in lights and a beautiful aqua MaKtainer. ;)
The BTD144 gives you a couple LEDs and 3 variable speed ranges (which my variable trigger already has?) for $40 more. It might be a good fit for cabinet installations. http://goo.gl/o1XLM
You should have a lithium blower as well, for that tiny amount of dust your Festool HEPA Big Sucker doesn't pick up. http://goo.gl/weMhA They're not like a plug-in model, but for quick cleanup of small spaces, they're truly handy. It makes short work of the pickup bed after a dump run. http://goo.gl/h0BOl save $15 at eBay
-- It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctively native American criminal class except Congress. -- Mark Twain

steered friends to them as well. I never had the need for a super industrial model of anything. But I did not want junk either. Makita did it for me. I have an old 9.6 volt ni-cad drill with a clutch that will still drive three inch deck screws into hard joists. That is good enough for anything I do. I also like the abundance and easy availability of single tools.
You can get a kit to get a charger and batteries. Then just get what you need after that. It is amazing that a lot of people don't know that. I have told this basic bit of information to quite a number of people. Many people think that rechargeable tools only come in kits and can only be purchased at the Borg. A web search turns up lots of sources and Amazon is a favorite once they figure it out.
Some interesting discussions would follow this revelation. Like, what are all these tools for? Or, who needs all of these tools? I would patiently explain the function of most of the tools. I must admit though, never have seem some of them, I was a little unsure to their exact utility. But I didn't have any problem figuring out what I would use them for!! LOL And if they thought that the tools were kind of expensive, I just show them some industrial tools or Festool. That shuts them up.
On Sun, 15 May 2011 16:06:37 -0400, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

My first drills (12V and a 9.6V right-angle) were Makita. I then bought the cut-off saw. I haven't bought a Makita since. I then went to a PC (pre-crapsmaning), which was too heavy, a few DeWalts (too heavy or not enough power) and now have a bunch (12V and 18V series) of Bosch drills and drivers. I like them far better than any of the others I've used.

Sure, but Lowes carries individual tools, also. Home Despot has gone down the tubes over the last five years or so.

Festool is outrageous for some things. Not so much for others. I'm using their smaller track saw today, in fact (just taking a break). It really isn't any more expensive than DeWalt's track saw and there are a lot more accessories available for it.
On 5/15/11 2:07 PM, Leon wrote:

I've trusted Panasonic for decades.

Can you elaborate of that? Thanks!
--

-MIKE-

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
On 5/15/11 2:07 PM, Leon wrote:

I've trusted Panasonic for decades.

Can you elaborate of that? Thanks!
From what I understand the black and white Makita's are targeted more toward the home owner type user, they tend to be considerably less expensive than the traditional green ones. They may very suite your needs however depending on how much and how long you expect to use it.
On 5/15/11 4:11 PM, Leon wrote:

On one hand, anything Makita, including their cheaper version, will likely be a huge step up in reliability from my B&D's. On the other hand, there doesn't seem to be that much of a price difference between the two lines.... at least not enough to compel me to buy the lower.
--

-MIKE-

Another vote for looking at a Panasonic. Bought a 12V one for SWMBO about 4.5 years ago, and it is still going strong. Granted, she doesn't use it day in or day out, but I've found I use it as much as my 18v Dewalt. The thing just FEELS so much better built than the Dewalt.
Regards, Roy
RE: Subject
SFWIW, Lowes has a mailer out today that has an 18V lithium ion Bosch drill for $99.
Includes 2 batteries, charger & case.
Item: 300250.
Lew
On 5/16/11 11:23 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

I saw the boxes when I was at Lowes, today. Can't help but wonder if it's a cheaper version, for bait, or a loss leader... for bait. It's tempting, either way.
--

-MIKE-

It's not. I got the 18V drill and Impactor for $199 at Christmas time. Very nice tools but when I don't need the torque I still prefer the 12V versions.

Good price. Highly recommended.
"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
Some how or another I must have won a Bosch Impactor impact driver 2~3 years ago, It showed up on my door step addressed to me with a return address direct from Bosch. No other information. Anyway it is an 18 volt version with 2 batteries, charger and case. I already had a 12 volt Makita. Both are ready to be used at any time however I always reach for the Makita. I am not sure what it is but the Makita just feels better and is still my preferred tool to use.

I ran a Bosch 14.4v Impactor happily for 3 years when the Makita 18v LIons came out, so I got one. I should probably sell that Bosch. I had thought the batteries were slowing down, but I had a client who wanted to help me put up his new porch, so I loaned the Bosch to him for the day and it kept right up with the Makita.
Both companies (and all their tools) get A+ ratings from me.
-- It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctively native American criminal class except Congress. -- Mark Twain
I ended up getting this one from Lowes... the Bosch - 36618-02. Turns out 99 bucks was a darn good deal, as they are back up to $179 on the website. The batteries came, charged. That's already a plus in my book. :-)
I've heard reviews about lithium ion batteries not lasting as long... we'll see how that goes.
http://xrl.us/Bosch36618

--

-MIKE-

Can't be any worse than the Nicads on my last 3. Dead if left for more than 6 weeks - and wouldn't take or hold a charge after 3 or 4 years... My Lithium drill can sit on the shelf or 3 months and still have a good head of steam.