Timberwolf Blades. Is any one else having problems with them?

Page 1 of 3

Last week I received my Rikon 18" band saw equipped with a 5/8" blade. Who knows what brand. Any way I got the saw up and running and was not disappointed in the performance of the blade contrary to what some here have witnessed with their blades. Not great but it had no drift and cut relatively cleanly.
Yesterday I put my new 1" wide Timber wolf blade on the saw and it cut OK, certainly not any smoother than the OEM blade but tracked straight also. But there is this clicking noise as the back of the blade whacks the rear bearing. Click, click, click... So I go around to the side and notice that the blade moves forward and backward a good 1/16 inch with each revolution of the blade. I know it is with each revolution because I see the weld spot with each click. I used a white pencil to mark the high spot while the saw was running.
I called Timberwolf and talked to Tom and he indicated that he has heard of 2 other instances of this happening with a Rikon band saw. In particular the new model. Not to slam Rikon he asked me to take the Timberwolf blade and cut it open at the weld and check to see if the back of the band is straight. He indicated that a tape measure should be straight enough to help indicate a bow in the back of the blade. My son noticed that the blade bowed about 2' down from the weld. a 2' steel rule confirmed the bow to be about 1/16", 2' up from the weld. I relayed this to Tom. I noticed that the weld, before cutting the lower part of the band was off set about 1/16". So I put the 3/4" Timberwolf blade on. Same problem. Wobble from front to back. I installed the 1/2" blade. Same problem but not as bad. Installed the 1/4" blade, same problem about as bad as the 1/2" blade. I reinstalled the OEM blade and it tracks nice and straight by comparison.
I called Tom back and he is skeptical that there could be 4 bad blades in 4 different sizes and I totally agreed. He is going to do some checking in the morning and send me out a new 1" blade.
I called Rikon and mentioned the problem. Rod at Rikon asked if the original blade tracked OK, I said Yes. Then asked if the new blade tracked OK. I said No. Then he asked of the new blade was a Timberwolf. Yes, I said. He indicated that Timberwolf makes their blades a little long and that they needed to initially be tensioned tighter than the indicator points out before proceeding to the flutter test. Sooooo. I go out and adjust the tension on the 3/4" blade to the tension that a 1-1/4 blade would take trying to get the wobble out. Damn tight basically. That did not help at all. So I put the OEM blade back on and again it tracks fine. Once again I put the 3/4" Timber wolf blade on and it continues to wobble front to back. So this time I take the white pencil and turn the saw on and gently let the pencil mark the back of the blade and turn the saw off. In the exact spot that my son saw the high spot on the 1" blade I see the pencil mark on the 3/4" blade. 2' up from the weld. I'm betting that the other 2 blades have a high spot 2' up from the weld. BTY, I measured the length of the 1" blade that I cut open. It was 141-15/16" long. It was short the width of the blade I used to cut the blade open. It appears that this blade is exactly the stated length, 142".
I was beginning to suspect the Rikon saw and Rod at Rikon indicated that he would walk me through changing the camber of the wheels to fix the problem if the extra tension did not work out. I am thinking that the Timberwolf blades are the problem as 2 of them have the high spots 2' up from the welds. I am guessing that their jig may be out of calibration and badly.
Tomorrow I plan to buy another blade, different brand, and see what happens.
Any thoughts?
"Leon" wrote in message

happens.
I've been having good luck with Lenox blades ... FWIW.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Buying Locally? I need 142".

All I can get locally, is a selection of Starrett band saw blades. I bought a 1/4" one and it's fine by me...I have NO idea how Starrett stacks up. It could even be a 'badge engineering' thing...branding for sale.
"Leon" wrote in message

Unfortunately no, the old fashioned way ... on the phone. I wish Iturra would hurry up and get that website up and running.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

I agree. Or the welder had an off day.

I see Woodcraft stocks a house brand in the length that I need. I think I am going to pick one up and see how it does. If I get straight tracking I am going to rule out the BS. and I'll call Inturra and order some. I Googled the group and found that there are several complaints about Timberwolf since last summer. I had to go back to 2003 to get good responses. Since the 142" appears to be unique to the Rikon I suspect a large batch was made up and they were not welded properly or aligned correctly or perhaps they weld them up as ordered and all of mine were made at the same time which would explain a lot.
Leon wrote:

I've only one Timberwolf blade, which I bought a month or so ago (105" 6tpi 3/8") for my Grizzly G0555 bandsaw, and it works very well for me. It tracks true, without any drift.
-jav

Like every thing, mistakes can be made. I suspect that the 105" is a common size that may have been in stock for some time. I have read a lot of complaints about Timberwold blades bought in the last 6 months and the rep did admit that they were having trouble with some of the 1" blades. His first suggestion was to cut my blade open to see if the back was straight. It was pretty straight but had a high spot in a similar location to the high spot on my 3/4" blade. With my Rikon being relative new and using a unique length my Timberwolf blades may have been made for my order and all made incorrectly. I think I just got a bad batch. But I need to try another brand to rule out the Band Saw although another brand blade does fine.
"Leon" wrote in message

You're right ... 105" is the common length for Delta, Jet and Sears 14" bandsaws with riser installed ... and maybe Grizzly?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05
Swingman wrote:

It would appear to be the case. The G0555 with the riser installed uses 105" blades.
-jav

I learned today that Circle Saw makes BS blades. I ordered one this morning and will pick it up after 3. 142" x 3/4" 3tpi, $18.99.
I do not know if it is any good but maybe it will indicate where my tracking problem is.
On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 14:54:30 GMT, "Leon"

Leon, at the local Woodcraft store (Raleigh, NC) their 'own' brand is actually Timberwolf - I don't know if this is universally true.
Tom

Thanks for the heads up. On the on line site the blades look different than the Timberwolf blades and I bought their house brand locally some years ago and they too looked different. Anyway the local store did not have any house brand in stock. They referred me to another local shop make me a blade today and fortunately for me it tracks fine.

The Local Woodcraft blades say (as I recall) PS Wood - from the Makers of the Timberwolf.
According to the Iturra catalog, (and perhaps someone can confirm this) most dealers cannot use the name "Timberwolf" for legal reasons. I'm not certain because "Timberwolf" isn't mentioned by name. Iturra sells the blades, and calls them somthing else as well.
It's very confusing to me, specially when someone says Timberwolf blades suck, and the PS Wood from Woodcraft are great.
"Bruce Barnett" wrote in message

LOL ... the one thing American public education system is really good at fostering is gullibility.
It's all about marketing. After all, Eggland's Best eggs are _perceived_ by many to be worth a dollar +/- more a dozen than any other commercially produced egg because of the packaging and stamp.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

How true, why pay more when you don't need to? For all I know I know Timberwolf's blades are trash.
I had the exact same problem with two Timberwolf blades I purchased last year. No more Timberwolf blades will be installed on my Jet 18, they just ain't worth the hassle. I've been using Woodcraft's house brand since and have not had any problems, they cut fine and are half the price. --dave

For some reason woodcraft marks the timberwolf blades up by about 100%. Perhaps it has something to do with having a house brand.
Watching this with interest as I'm about to order my first "real" band saw.
-Leuf