Timber dogs

This is the first time I've seen this. I can't way to get some and try them out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehiSOFuBlRo&feature=em-subs_digest

Mike
On Wednesday, March 11, 2015 at 11:33:57 PM UTC-5, Michael wrote:

I bought a few, off Ebay. Seems, old original ones are not offered, that often, so I bought newer, repro ones.... 6" & 8" ones. I hadn't thought t o use them for joining boards, but for steadying logs or large timbers, as I hand split them or hand work them, in certain circumstances.... more so i n a fashion of a hold-down type tool. *Old original hold downs are not al ways so readily available, on Ebay, either.
There are very large varieties of pinch dogs, 3', 4', etc., for logs, also. I don't recall if those larger ones have a different "name"/term.
They look simple to use, but my use was not perfect. I didn't know a prop er technique, for my purpose, so I had problems, as to their proper applica tion and function, but I persisted. I suppose, someday, I'll learn better , as I practice, more, have a project that I can practice on.
I like old tools, I have only a few, and it's a little annoying when I have to teach myself their proper or best use. It looks easy, when someone els e uses them, correctly, but not so easy, when it's use is new to me. Some times, I try to convince myself that I'm smarter, than an inanimate object, but end up humbling to my *smartaleckness, if you know what I mean.
Similarly, using a adze or broad ax, properly, is not as easy as it seems, either.
Sometimes I feel like a idiot, sometimes I prove it, when messing with old hand tools!.... and, luckily, I still have all my fingers and toes.
Sonny
Sonny wrote:

used a broadaxe and maul to cut a slit to insert the tins in. That was long ago but not so far away.
--
 GW Ross

 People who live in stone houses
*snip*

*snip*
Sometimes there's a lot of knowledge hidden in tool designs. It's not the object you have to be smarter than, but the designer you have to equal.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 3/11/2015 11:33 PM, Michael wrote:

I think I would be more inclined to use clamps...

He certainly had enough planes there. I figure at least two dozen.
On Thursday, March 12, 2015 at 9:40:44 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

No doubt, but I'm still going to try this. It looks like fun.
On 3/11/2015 11:33 PM, Michael wrote:

Cabinetmaker I worked for briefly in the UK 50 years ago had boxes full of them, some of them fairly long, 8 to 10 or so". He had them made by the local blacksmith.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net