Tim Hortons fires an employee over one TimBit.

Page 5 of 6
"Charlie Self" wrote

LOL ... you're not one of those who, like me, actually looked forward to SOS for breakfast, and mess hall corned beef at supper?
Funny what the service will do to you/your tastes. I also ate well trading up for cans of C-Ration "scrambled" eggs ... a little Louisiana hot sauce, and my shaker of combined garlic powder/salt and pepper, was all I needed for a gourmand breakfast, relative speaking.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Liver and onions with seconds at lunch. Same again for dinner. And sneak into midnight chow for more. Why they bothered with liver is beyond me, most folks hated it. Coffee picked up from the mess hall at 7am Saturday still on the hot plate at 7am Sunday. Standing a spoon upright in it was almost possible.
But, I'll pass on the chicken. Somebody in the Pentagon or Congress must have owned a chicken ranch.

At Parris Island, the ONLY time I got enough to eat was on the days we had liver and onions. There was always enough for thirds.

Wow! I am sooo impressed. A dude who eats ANYTHING! I suddenly have a whole new admiration for Charley Self.
I'm going to put him on my shelf beside Doug Miller, J. Clarke.

Same guy that had the chicken ranch must have been heavy into Liver Futures!

"snipped for brevity"
My son was just away for a weeks brigade eercise with his reserve unit. Long story short - apparently now "hard rats:" have cabbage roll dinners!
Who knew? Almost enough to make me want re reillist.
"Swingman"

You know - many days now I'm still not sure if I like "coffee" or if I like the taste of evaporated milk and sugar in a hot liquid?

But the hot sauce was an essential with those eggs. Lots of salt, too. Even then, I found regular pepper almost flavor free. Too much oatmeal mixed in, I guess.
If you read the fine print at the bottom of the article, she was rehired the next day.

Oooups! LOL
Let 'em know how you feel. I did.
customer snipped-for-privacy@timhortons.com

So, will you offer her a job? The link also had a story that she was hired back. Hmm. In the US, I have been employed for the last 40 years by a variety of companies, some large, some small with the understanding that I could be let go at any time. I was laid off twice and decided that was it and went off on my own. Best decision I ever made. I have my own hours and make a fair wage for what I do.
SWMBO has a brother-in-law who was laid off at the mill twice before he could reach a pensionable age. Went off, got a job that he loved, now is in retirement in Florida. Not sure if he missed that old steel mill job or not. Face it. Job's are NEVER permanent. Unless you are some sort of high-end professional like a doctor or lawyer. You will always be subject to "redeployment" at anytime. Sad fact of life.
The alternative is the French and other European country systems. You can't layoff anyone in France unless you give them a LONG lead time - like 6 months! Guess how much productivity goes down during that time.
Bottom line - be prepared for surprises in life. Didn't John Lennon say: "Life is what happens when you're busy making ther plans?"
MJ Wallace

<<<snip>>>
The difference is between "fired" and "laid off" or (I hate this one) downsized is that if you are laid off, a future employer likely will not think twice about it, other than maybe thinking about if you get called back.
"Fired", on the other hand, has some very negative connotations that, in this case, a young mother, may have a hard time getting around for a while to get another job

I won't even make a guess as to whether the managers made the right or wrong call, based on policy, but I do wonder why the hell it took THREE of them!!! I've had to fire a few guys in a prior life as a boss....never once did I need "help" or backup.
Mike
Robatoy wrote:

Wasn't he in that Dr Seuss film called "Horton humps a who" ? phnork.
Robatoy wrote:

There is more now.
http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2008/05/08/timbit-lilliman.html?ref=rss
And I agree. Outrageous
--

Tanus

This is not really a sig

What in the hell is a "recycled" TimBit??
And yes, it is an Outrage.

That only applies to the Tim Horton version of the Kopi Luwak flavoured TimBits <G>

GAG!!
Thanks Robatoy:
Only 2 more to get to 100!
What a non-woodworking event this turned out to be. Yeah, I know, I posted a reply as well.
Can we talk about tablesaws now?
MJ
With or without consealed damage?
Lew