Tim Hortons fires an employee over one TimBit.

Page 4 of 6

One piece of advice I hope you already know: Never be afraid to hire someone smarter than you, whether you are an owner or manager.

He seem fortunate that his name is not public. Timbit will go into the lexicon of manager screw ups, as in To Timbit, but apparently not the manager's name.

Emergence of new form of tongue lashing from manager to employee: "Smarten up or I'm going to Timbit you!"

LOL ...... or: "What kinda TimBit move was that????!!!" or in the nightly news: "In what can only be described as a TimBit move, Prime Minister Harper today announced today that**************

I have got to congratulate Tim Hortons on one VERY fast reaction and superb damage control effort. I receiver 2 e-mails in response to my e-mails and they basically said: "Yup somebody screwed up, we're on it..." And an immediate apology to all those offended.
My coffee is still WAY better. AND that manager should be fired.

I have got to congratulate Tim Hortons on one VERY fast reaction and superb damage control effort. I receiver 2 e-mails in response to my e-mails and they basically said: "Yup somebody screwed up, we're on it..." And an immediate apology to all those offended.
Good on you Robatoy and good on them for looking into the matter. Obviousely "damage control".
My coffee is still WAY better. AND that manager should be fired.
Agreed he had a whole day to think about it and still shot from the hip.
On Thu, 8 May 2008 16:33:01 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

APPARENTLY the employee in question had stood up for some other employee in a conflict with the "boss" who then had it in for her. The TimBit was the excuse. Totally against canadian labour regulations and everything else - common sense and common courtesy included.
I suspect the manager(s) involved will be disciplined severely - and may VERY well lose her (their) job(s).
<clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada> wrote in message >

I hope I clipped this correcltly.
As one radio pundit said today --- $16 for a Timbit and $16,000,000.00 of bad PR/
Couldn't agree more!
Doug Brown wrote:

16 bucks for a TimBit? Geez, I knew inflation was bad but that's ridiculous.
--John

She was probably on the store's kill list because she had a good work ethic and made the other employees look bad.
Jim Willemin wrote:

Huh? What store management has that kind of attitude? Other employees maybe, but not store management.

Making the managers look bad is also a possibility.
"Robatoy" wrote in message

Sounds a (Tim)bit like the "zero tolerance" policy in our public schools down thissaway, the sole purpose of which is not public good, but to relieve incompetent administrators from the consequences of making decisions.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

assume that the managers will be okay then... after all, that is all that seems to matter. Screw the serfs.
There was just an update on the radio that one of the managers admitted that the employee in question had never been written up for anything in 3 years.
Tim Hortons's stuff is shit anyway.
"Robatoy" wrote in message

A "manager" will never be fired for enforcing a rule or policy, no matter how ridiculous. He is, after all, "just doing his job".
... there you have the hidden agenda/thrust behind a "zero tolerance" policy.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08
Swingman wrote:

Depends upon the company for whom one works and the vision of upper level management. My job certainly would qualify me as "management" and I while I might not be fired over following a rule or policy at the expense of customer relations, I guarantee you that such an action would be severely career limiting and would be reflected in my yearly performance review results.

Zero-tolerance may have no consequences to employees of a government run organization that, because of tax policies has little serious competition, it does not work for businesses that have competition.

Sounds a bit like Dickens.
"Robatoy" > "Robatoy" wrote in message Tim Hortons's stuff is shit anyway.
'seriously clipped.'
I agree - can't stand Timmies coffee or doughtnuts. But I am (seriously) coflicted. My son is in uniform and as we all know - Timmies is the national coffee shop. Where do I go? what do I buy? Oh, the agony.

Public school zero tolorance policies are not limited to your neck of the woods. Some wild things that permanantly stain a student's record happen all the time over nothing. I wish some outraged parents would sue the bastards. A couple big judgements would reintroduce a little sanity into the process.
"Swingman" wrote:

The "Peter Principle" personified.
Lew