Tim Hortons fires an employee over one TimBit.

Excellent soup and sandwich lunches in Canada, anyway.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

APPARENTLY the employee in question had stood up for some other employee in a conflict with the "boss" who then had it in for her. The TimBit was the excuse. Totally against canadian labour regulations and everything else - common sense and common courtesy included.

I suspect the manager(s) involved will be disciplined severely - and may VERY well lose her (their) job(s).

** Posted from
**
Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

No history of giving away food. No (required by law) documented warnings for anything - just a manager with a personal grudge against an employee who stood up to her for another employee, apparently.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

Timmy's are franchise operations - every one of them. Corporate has no direct say in hiring or firing. Then the stores are run for the franchisee by managers. In most cases a franchisee owns numerous stores in a given market area.

In this case, the store managers took it on themselves to mete out some "justice" because of a personal grievance (apparently the employee stuck up for another employee (or more than one) in a dissagreement of some sort with the manager.

The franchisee has rehired the employee and she will be working at a different location - not under the same managers. The franchisee and corporate are apparently "weighing their options" as far as the managers are concerned.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

GAG!!

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Damnit Robatoy, I sat and watched that whole damn thing waiting for the punchline. Guess I was the punchline.

SteveP.

It is a pretty good song, but THIS is much better:

Highland Pairos

Corporate always has a say, it would be naive to believe otherwise. Franchise contracts usually give the head office considerable say in how the individual outlets are run, and actions triggering negative publicity for the brand name could easily be something covered by TH's contract.

Reply to
DGDevin

Note I said DIRECT. They get involved after the fact when things go wrong. Corporate does NOT do the local hiring and firing. That is the franchisee's domain. (and sometimes downloaded to local management) Here in Kitchener each franchisee owns half a dozen to a dozen locations.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

Absolutely. I deal with franchisees all the time. They are BOUND. Bound by many screwed conditions that include WHO the suppliers of their products are etc, etc. In one example, a customer of mine HAD to pay $ 55.00 for a cube of Coca Cola syrup for his fountain, while the guy next door paid $ 35.00. My customer was FORCED to buy through 'approved' channels.

Reply to
Robatoy

At Parris Island, the ONLY time I got enough to eat was on the days we had liver and onions. There was always enough for thirds.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Wow! I am sooo impressed. A dude who eats ANYTHING! I suddenly have a whole new admiration for Charley Self.

I'm going to put him on my shelf beside Doug Miller, J. Clarke.

Reply to
Robatoy

Same guy that had the chicken ranch must have been heavy into Liver Futures!

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

'seriously clipped.'

I agree - can't stand Timmies coffee or doughtnuts. But I am (seriously) coflicted. My son is in uniform and as we all know - Timmies is the national coffee shop. Where do I go? what do I buy? Oh, the agony.

Reply to
Doug Brown

"Swingman"

You know - many days now I'm still not sure if I like "coffee" or if I like the taste of evaporated milk and sugar in a hot liquid?

Reply to
Doug Brown

"snipped for brevity"

My son was just away for a weeks brigade eercise with his reserve unit. Long story short - apparently now "hard rats:" have cabbage roll dinners!

Who knew? Almost enough to make me want re reillist.

Reply to
Doug Brown

So - What's wrong with that?

Despite the fact that Dunkin Donus bombed in Canada, their product it pretty goot.

Tims is what it is - nothing more and nothing less.

Ya waht a donut - go to a donut shop - Ya want a burge ----- don't go to a burger shop????

Reply to
Doug Brown

I hope I clipped this correcltly.

As one radio pundit said today --- $16 for a Timbit and $16,000,000.00 of bad PR/

Couldn't agree more!

Reply to
Doug Brown

Agreed

However trivial this incident was, if she had a history of giving away

Agreed - although not supporteb by the current reports.

OK - not a bad position to take but all it shows it that You are contientious and reasonable - not the Tims manager.

The smart policy is to issue written warnings and document them

No Duh!

But how often does anyone actually do this? If we did there would be a lot less work for labout lawyers.

Reply to
Doug Brown

Even there you have to be careful. What caught my eye was "file full of warnings". That can cause problems. You need a policy that outlines the steps. Example: Verbal warning, 1st written warning, 2nd written warning with suspension, 3rd violation = termination.

If you have repeated warnings but choose not to fire a person when warranted by policy, you've created an exception and it can be tough to close that loophole. You can have a time period where the warnings expire so you can get a second warning, say every 90 days, but if it is 89 days, you can fire the person.

Best is to have a written policy of work rules given to each person when hired (have them sign a receipt) and the policy is applied equally to everyone.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Who said there was anything wrong with it? Someone made a comment about burgers, I replied that you don't get burgers at Tim Hortons (at least not any Tim Hortons that I've ever been in--sandwiches, yes, but not the particular kind of sandwich that is commonly referred to as a "burger"). Then I added additional information that one can get burgers at the Wendys that is often but not always partnered with Tim Hortons.

Ya want a donut, don't go a shop that doesn't have donuts. You want a burger, don't go to a shop that doesn't have burgers.

Reply to
J. Clarke