Tim Hortons fires an employee over one TimBit.

Page 3 of 6
"asmurff" wrote in message

Almost every day on KTRH 740 AM here in Houston, although Ron Chapman has been pinch hitting for him lately... basically, been listening to Paul Harvey since I was in college in the 60's, when I drove home for lunch everyday at noon to his voice on the radio
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08
Dave in Houston wrote:

I'd certainly want more information before deciding if she had it coming or not. However trivial this incident was, if she had a history of giving away product (perhaps to friends?) and had been warned about it before then maybe they were justified in firing her. I've had to fire a few people over the years, it was never on a first offense or even a second, but once someone convinced me they either were not capable of doing the job or just didn't give enough of a crap, then my responsibility to the business says they have to go. The smart policy is to issue written warnings and document them every time, if somebody takes exception to being fired a file full of warnings is hard to explain away.
DGDevin wrote:

There's a statement about it on the Tim Hortons web site--seems that they agree that the firing was inappropriate.
--John
J. Clarke wrote:

That might be the case, there are lots of idiotic managerial droids out there. Or they might be trying to avoid more bad publicity, you never know these days.

Corporate has no direct say in hiring or firing. Then the stores are run for the franchisee by managers. In most cases a franchisee owns numerous stores in a given market area.
In this case, the store managers took it on themselves to mete out some "justice" because of a personal grievance (apparently the employee stuck up for another employee (or more than one) in a dissagreement of some sort with the manager.
The franchisee has rehired the employee and she will be working at a different location - not under the same managers. The franchisee and corporate are apparently "weighing their options" as far as the managers are concerned.
clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada wrote:

Corporate always has a say, it would be naive to believe otherwise. Franchise contracts usually give the head office considerable say in how the individual outlets are run, and actions triggering negative publicity for the brand name could easily be something covered by TH's contract.

wrong. Corporate does NOT do the local hiring and firing. That is the franchisee's domain. (and sometimes downloaded to local management) Here in Kitchener each franchisee owns half a dozen to a dozen locations.

Absolutely. I deal with franchisees all the time. They are BOUND. Bound by many screwed conditions that include WHO the suppliers of their products are etc, etc. In one example, a customer of mine HAD to pay $ 55.00 for a cube of Coca Cola syrup for his fountain, while the guy next door paid $ 35.00. My customer was FORCED to buy through 'approved' channels.

warnings for anything - just a manager with a personal grudge against an employee who stood up to her for another employee, apparently.

Agreed
However trivial this incident was, if she had a history of giving away

Agreed - although not supporteb by the current reports.

OK - not a bad position to take but all it shows it that You are contientious and reasonable - not the Tims manager.
The smart policy is to issue written warnings and document them

No Duh!
But how often does anyone actually do this? If we did there would be a lot less work for labout lawyers.

Even there you have to be careful. What caught my eye was "file full of warnings". That can cause problems. You need a policy that outlines the steps. Example: Verbal warning, 1st written warning, 2nd written warning with suspension, 3rd violation = termination.
If you have repeated warnings but choose not to fire a person when warranted by policy, you've created an exception and it can be tough to close that loophole. You can have a time period where the warnings expire so you can get a second warning, say every 90 days, but if it is 89 days, you can fire the person.
Best is to have a written policy of work rules given to each person when hired (have them sign a receipt) and the policy is applied equally to everyone.

And Consistently. Inconsistent application of policy can blow you out of the water.
Train the managers!

Maybe, but wasn't it consistent application of policy without exception that got the girl fired?
wrote in message

Yes, but unfortunately, the bad publicity overrode the practicality. Comes down to training managers. There are times to look the other way.

That is exactly what makes a good manager. Picking and choosing which hill to die on. The manager made a horrible error in judgement. He pays for that.

What got the girl fired was an insecure ego-tripping little vacuous malodorous toffee-nosed megalomaniac manager who didn't like it that she stood up for a fellow employee who was being belittled by the power-tripper.

What got the girl fired was an insecure ego-tripping little vacuous malodorous toffee-nosed megalomaniac manager who didn't like it that she stood up for a fellow employee who was being belittled by the power-tripper.
Maybe. But, even the most extreme of control freaks must have occasional moments of lucidity and this was a situation that certainly called for it. Wonder what went wrong? This is something he will never be able to live down, whether he's fired, demoted or not. There can't be too many things more embarrassing than having your life destroyed by a Timbit. It's so ludicrous that I actually pity the guy.

You live by the sword.....

You live by the sword.....
Very easy, but callous of you to say. What if it happened to you? I for one will be the first to admit that more than once, I've headed down a path with what I thought was the proper way to go and found myself sinking fast in the virtual pile crap. With some of the things that go on today in our society, I can't see someone's business life being potentially destroyed by a Timbit. He didn't kill anybody and he didn't physically attack anyone. Hell, he didn't even break the law. Outside of this situation, he might be the first guy to stop and help you out when your car breaks down twenty miles outside of town.

He might stop and help me. It is possible to have a good heart AND being too stupid to be a manager. On one hand a 16 cent timbit. On the other hand, a woman's (mother's) livelihood. If that manager could not see the contrast, he has no business being in a decision making position.
This was NOT a situation where you stop, rub your chin, ponder and make a decision. It was a 16 cent Timbit. If I was in his shoes, it would have been sooo easy: " I don't make the rules, I am hired to enforce them, please do not do give out any more timbits." If she continued, it is no longer about a timbit.
He is a better manager now that he knows what kind of consequences stupid decisions can have. In the real world, however, I can't see it being helpful to his career.
I have been in management positions before and I am again. As a business owner, I hire people who can do MY job.