Tim Daneluk

No suggestions even? Ah well. Won't happen again.
In article

No, because I'm not familiar with the US medical system.
And, you're only baiting me.
What would your response be to each of the three options you outline, were I to suggest them one by one? Let's see if I am reading you correctly or not, Charlie...

Dave Balderstone wrote:

That's pretty funny. It wasn't a smooth side step... it was a clumsy one ;-)
Let's re-phrase the question... let's suppose YOU were given a prescription for orthopedic shoes from a govt healthcare provider and the shoes said "Made in China". If you go back to to that healthcare provider and ask for a a prescription for a different brand made somewhere you approve of, they tell you that's the only one they will write a prescription for. Add to that, for all practical purposes, you cannot change healthcare providers.
Do you have any thoughts on what you might do in such a situation?
Joe Barta

Charlie never asked me a question, Joe. He made dclarative statements, and demanded that I tell him what his course of action should be. I declined. Charlie has to make his own decisions.

Yes, I do.

I really don't care what you think about my opinions, Joe.

Dave Balderstone wrote:

That's certainly fair enough.
If you're willing to oblige, I have another question for you... when you speak or write, do you have a desire that reasonably intelligent, reasonable and rational people consider seriously what you have to say on any particular matter?
Joe Barta

I'm still trying to figure out how the Chinese can buy wood from us--trees--and turn it into plywood that sells for about 2/3 the price of US or Canada made plywood. Double shipping has to add up, regardless of low cost labor, and a lot of plywood manufacturing costs are in the equipment.
--
Charlie Self
Writer/Photographer

that to do so would support a repressive regime. But in 1997, I got to tour a Chinese factory and communicate (through an interpreter I trust) with employees when the bosses weren't around. My eventual conclusion was that capitalism is more likely to accelerate China's evolution to a democracy than to perpetuate the Chinese Communist Party.
Rick
Java Man wrote:

I'd say that's the hope and I agree. But there's a little man in my head that does wonder sometimes if something unforseen and terrible could come out of a really big and really rich communist/capitalist hybrid with 1.3 billion people.
Joe Barta
says...

or to stop buying Chinese products at Wal-Mart. No matter how strongly the case against buying from China is made, people will continue to buy at record rates.
Doing something about it requires the US policy makers to recognize that the country is sleepwalking into disaster, and must make smart and tough changes to head it off.
To me, the biggest problem is that the government and consumers are spending the US into debt at an unsustainable rate, and enriching China every step of the way.
1) The US administration is spending more than it collects in taxes, and borrowing from China (and others) to finance deficits.
2) The US-China trade deficit is gargantuan! American consumers are buying goods at a record pace from China, financing the growth of China's manufacturing and military might. Basically, the USA is paying the Chinese to overtake it.
It has often been observed that native Americans gave away their land to sharp European traders for a few beads and trinkets. This looks like the 21st century version of the same game, only this time, the Chinese are the sharp traders.
Google censorship and buying Chinese goods at Wal-Mart are irrelevant distractions compared to this. What's needed is BIG, across-the-board changes to government policy. IMHO, a smart and gutsy 2nd term US President would be addressing this problem now, not waiting until everyone and his dog thinks it's serious. But since the needed changes would require pain and sacrifice, the ruling party (whether R or D) won't act until they think it will help them win the next election, so I wouldn't bet on anything much happening until it's too late. This is the major weakness of democracy -- we don't respond to problems until they balloon into crises. China doesn't have that problem.
Rick

So the US is the only country that can do anything?
What arrogance...
--
Boycott Google for their support of communist censorship and repression!

dave***@balderstone.ca says...

Rick
Java Man wrote:

Do you have any thoughts on how this thing might play out? What are the dangers? What are the concerns?
Joe Barta
Joe Barta wrote:

Hummm, as one who's salary is effectively paid by the chinese students who attend the university where I work I can only comment: Probably when an experiment, for which there is no risk assessment, using bio-hazardous materials, gos wrong and something really nasty escapes.....
says...

having a totalitarian state with as much economic and military might as the US isn't an inviting scenario to me.
Rick
Java Man wrote:

Then surely you could start somewhere?

You're more or less restating my point. Beyond that, I'd be interested to hear some realistic thoughts on how it might play out.
Joe Barta
says...

http://www.321energy.com/editorials/winston/winston020905.html
Rick
Java Man wrote:

Interesting article. Thank-you. I'm not entirely sure how realistic or probable it is, but it's certainly a point to consider.
Joe Barta
says...

money China has loaned to the US government was once in the pockets of American consumers.
Rick
Java Man wrote:

Maybe this is a simplistic way to look at it, but there are huge variations in standards of living throughout the world. I think what's going on is a little "evening out" and I'm not sure that's such a bad thing.
Joe Barta
Java Man wrote:

Not sure I understand what you mean. Could you explain it further?
Joe Barta