Tim Daneluk

Page 5 of 13

dave***@balderstone.ca says...

I didn't say what I thought Google's competitive advantage is, but I if think those are the only possibilities, you've oversimplified the situation so badly that you might even recommend boycotting them for . . . oh, wait -- you already have.

Are you implying you're unaware that many companies have trade secrets and similar proprietary knowledge -- companies like, perhaps Google?

Then what did you mean by the following?
-------------------------- "Where did I suggest that Google's ONLY advantage was anything? That's bullpuckey." -------------------------

Here:
---------------------- "So your point is... That they have an advantage because of their head start?" ----------------------
That wasn't my point, and isn't now. It was yours.

I do, and I also understand the use of rhetorical questions.
So, let's recap again. You say:
- Google isn't doing anything proprietary in its web and usenet aggregating - All that Google has on me (or you) is a head start
If you don't know Google's trade secrets, how can you expect to have any credibility asserting that "All Google has that you don't is a head start, a supoena to appear before the US Congress, and $19 billion less share value than they had a couple of days ago."?

Ah, the famous Peewee Herman defense -- "I know you are, but what am I?"
Rick
Java Man wrote:

The silly thing about this whole conversation to anyone that knows even a little about Google's advantage (no it's not that they were first, there were many others before them) is their ranking algorithms for the links returned by the searches.
Their page-rank patent (patents?) are valued by Google's users in that they seem to return the most relevant results and (with some glitches along the way) have been very resistant to spamming the rankings that was constantly happening with all the other search engines.
Their "do no evil" mantra, which as of the announced cooperation with China is no longer more than marketing hoohaw, was, I think, originally directed at fears Google would alter their algorithms to favor their ad clients. They managed to keep that stuff in the margins... as far as we know. :)
er
--
email not valid

er
snipped-for-privacy@eruditorum.org says...

It's tough to get there when some won't acknowledge that Google has proprietary trade secrets which they want and need to protect.
Rick

Who's done that?
--
Boycott Google for their support of communist censorship and repression!

dave***@balderstone.ca says...

Who do you think?
Rick

Cite, please? I've neither said nor hinted I believe that.
--
Boycott Google for their support of communist censorship and repression!

The Dave Balderstone entity posted thusly:

According to the posting, he said that you said "Who's done that?"
Just follow the 'greater than' levels to see who said what. It shows...
rick said : "It's tough to get there... You said: "Who's done that?" rick said: "Who do you think?" You said: "Cite please.... I said the rest...
dave***@balderstone.ca says...

Said? No. Hinted? No. Implied? Yes.
" . . . Google isn't doing anything proprietary in its web and usenet aggregating. You or I could start doing it tomorrow."
AND
"All Google has that you don't is a head start, a supoena to appear before the US Congress, and $19 billion less share value than they had a couple of days ago."
But perhaps I inferred incorrectly.
What DID you mean by the quotes above?
Rick

I meant exactly what I wrote. No more and no less.
Google is not doing anything proprietary in their web and news aggregating.
--
Boycott Google for their support of communist censorship and repression!

dave***@balderstone.ca says...

You're starting to sound like Humpty Dumpty.

How does that square with your professed ignorance of what Google may want to keep secret?
Rick

What does anything they want to keep secret have to do with aggregating web sites and news feeds?
---------------- aggregate noun |?agrigit| |?gr?g?t| |?agr?g?t| 1 a whole formed by combining several (typically disparate) elements : the council was an aggregate of three regional assemblies. the total number of points scored by a player or team in a series of sporting contests : the result put the sides even on aggregate. 2 a material or structure formed from a loosely compacted mass of fragments or particles. pieces of broken or crushed stone or gravel used to make concrete, or more generally in building and construction work. adjective [ attrib. ] |?agrigit| |?agr?g?t| formed or calculated by the combination of many separate units or items; total : the aggregate amount of grants made. Botany (of a group of species) comprising several very similar species formerly regarded as a single species. Economics denoting the total supply or demand for goods and services in an economy at a particular time : aggregate demand | aggregate supply. verb |-?g?t| |?gr??ge?t| |?agr?ge?t| form or group into a class or cluster : [ intrans. ] the butterflies aggregate in dense groups. PHRASES in ( the) aggregate in total; as a whole. DERIVATIVES aggregation |?agri?g? sh ?n| |?gr??ge???n| |-?ge??(?)n| noun aggregative |-?g?tiv| |?gr??ge?d?v| |?agr?g?t?v| adjective ORIGIN late Middle English : from Latin aggregat- herded together, from the verb aggregare, from ad- toward + grex, greg- a flock. ----------------
Web spiders to gather page content are a dime a dozen. Capturing and storing a news feed is trivial.
There is nothing proprietary about aggregating web site content and news feeds.
--
Boycott Google for their support of communist censorship and repression!

dave***@balderstone.ca says...

I hope you didn't Google for that! ;-)

IOW, you don't include processing aggregated content as being part of "aggregating web sites and news feeds"?
Rick

No, Mac OS X comes with a built-in dictionary application as well as the ablity to look up words on the fly.

Correct.
--
Boycott Google for their support of communist censorship and repression!

dave***@balderstone.ca says...

Your literary parsimony is noted.
I hope you're also boycotting products produced in China, just to be consistent.
Rick

In fact, yes. There are a number of countries that I refuse to buy from, and some whose products I actively seek out.
--
Boycott Google for their support of communist censorship and repression!

Java Man wrote:

You know, I've talked to people about that. On the one hand, they are quick to explain all the reasons why Made in China is "bad". But then they toddle their asses down to Walmart et al and proceed to buy cartloads of stuff made in China and all those other bad places.
Interestingly, when confronted with such obvious hypocrisy, they present the most convienent rationalizations... usually one of the following...
a) Since all our "good jobs" have gone overseas to places like China, we have hardly any money and have no choice but to buy the cheap items made in China.
b) Since so much is made overseas, we hardly have any Made in the USA products to choose from so we have no choice but to buy items made in China.
It's always refreshing to see that blaming everyone but yourself never goes out of fashion.
Joe Barta

At Christmas time this year, our local Co-op grocery store had Mandarin oranges from both China and Japan, with the Chinese oranges selling for $1.50 less per box.
I picked up a box of the Japanese oranges and was putting it in my cart when an elderly gentleman asked "What's the difference, that you're buying the more expensive box?"
I replied "Japan has a functioning democracy."
He raised his eyebrows, nodded, and went for the Japanese product as well.
One box of oranges at a time...
--
Boycott Google for their support of communist censorship and repression!

Dave Balderstone wrote:

http://actionnetwork.org/campaign/googleaction ?
On a related note, how 'bout garlic from China?
How can it be more efficient to buy garlic from a place more than twice the distance as Watson(?), CA (if you're on the East coast)?
Renata
On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 13:57:01 -0600, Dave Balderstone

Renata wrote:

Because any cost increase due to distance is offset by an even BIGGER cost DECREASE in another area (labor costs, production costs, land costs, taxes, enviromental regulations... take your pick)
Joe Barta