Tim Daneluk

Page 3 of 13

entfillet wrote:

Ok, Mr. Marlowe, here's the story... sometimes I'll reply to a message that has been crossposted to a bunch of assorted groups. I suppose I should be more vigilant about such things, but I'm not. It happens to everyone I suppose. I'll take credit for posting to woodworking, construction, html and cigars over the years... but if my replies ended up in various nefarious political groups, it was not intentional.
Joe Barta
P.S. alt.idiots? Gotta check that one out ;-)
entfillet wrote:

OK, so now you've established that you're able to use Google to examine posting history. This is a skill held by most technologically savvy 12 year olds and is: a) Not an impressive skill and b) Not germane to your argument (that all of us who annoy or disagree with you should slink quietly into the night).
I am in an excellent mood, BTW. I just watched W's SOTN speech rerun. While I both agreed and disagreed with some of what he said, it brought joy to my heart knowing that it certainly annoyed the Usual Suspects On The Wreck to the point of Chappackidick Ted levels of apoplexy...

Heard part of it on the way home, so I didn't get to see the facial expressions. Bet the swimmer just about burst a blood vessel with the comment indicating that while debate and criticism are valid exercises in our system, second guessing and application of hindsight are not.

Post SOTU, a few of the media's talking heads even ventured out and said that W "may have some credibility issues with some viewers."
*wiping monitor*

Interesting spin. Take a few members of congress acting rudely and it is Bush's fault, Bush has a credibility problem. Kind of hard to hold that ground when the other party deigned to use Ted Kennedy to act as head inquisitor of Judge Allito on the subject of ethics. You just can't make this stuff up.

The latest leftoid conspiracy theory that has made my top 5 is that the *lack* of Christian right-wing protest against Brokeback Mountain is a vast Christian right-wing conspiracy to negatively affect the box office returns of what's just a mediocre movie by NOT protesting it.
On the bright side, finally we have a western where the good guys get it in the end...
--
Boycott Google for their support of communist censorship and repression!

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 21:55:05 -0600, Dave Balderstone

aaargh :-)
... or as one person was heard to say, "well, that's one range where the sheep *aren't* nervous"

One of the many reasons why I will never be nominated for anything that would require Senate review is that I don't think I could physically sit in a chair and have The Swimmer question me on my ethics.
todd
todd wrote:

One presumes that is not one of the _primary_ reasons...
--

FF

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

OK, *that* was funny ...
entfillet wrote:... has graced us with his opinion, so carefully constructed, so closely held and studied.
Everybody's got one. Or two. Or thirteen. No reason to get touchy. Tom

The Standard Advice:
Ignore, filter, help others to do the same.
;-)
--
Boycott Google for their support of communist censorship and repression!

Dave Balderstone wrote:

I have a different take... I think it's a matter of a little something being better than all of nothing. I'm happy to see Google in China... getting the foot in the door so to speak. If I'm not mistaken, there will be a notice on the search results page stating that certain items have been blocked due to censorship. Google wants access to China's market and I think that was a fair compromise for now. Plus, most certainly some of that awful content like "democracy" and "freedom" will make it through... and I'd say that can only be good.
Joe Barta

I agree with you. So many people seem not to recognize the need for compromise now and then.

largely due to the access to uncensored information to its population. This is a huge crack in China's wall... TWS

Google cooperating with the communist regime in China is actually subverting the communist regime in China?
Wow! Who knew?
Thanks for enlightening me! I will go forthwith and see if I can participate with censorsing information in other repressive regimes so I can subvert them while making fistfulls of cash!
Black is white.
War is peace.
I love Big Brother.
--
Boycott Google for their support of communist censorship and repression!

Dave Balderstone wrote:

<Sigh> OK, so what is *your* answer to getting the repressive policiesof the Chinese abated. More cultural exchanges? Folk dancing? Asking them "pretty please"? Cutting off trade?
We have two very good lab experiments going on in post-Communist societies, Russia and China. In Russia, ideological "Freedom" was declared by the stroke of a pen without regards to any of the other economic, cultural, and historic realities. (Kind of like listening to a speech by Ted Kennedy, actually.) In China, ideological Communism remains the official position of the state, but Capitalism has been allowed to flourish. Now, let's review what we've learned. Russia is sliding back into the totalitarian abyss because it could not "afford" its freedom. China is incrementally inching away from being a totalitarian state towards something more closely resembling a democracy. In the long haul, Communism in China is doomed as long as they practice Capitalist economics. No middle-class person (of which China has more and more with tons more on the way) can be oppressed politically - they have too much to lose. The point is that political freedom is a "luxury" that can only be enjoyed by people with sufficient wealth, and wealth is produced by Capitalists.
Google's entre' into China involves an uncomfortable compromise, but to the extent they can further Capitalism and a *more* free exchange of information, they will effectively be accelerating the demise of the totalitarian Communists. Is the pace fast enough? No. Would we all like to see more human rights sensibilities. Of course. But the world operates as it is, not as we wish it did. Incremental improvement is better than *no* improvement.
P.S. If the West really wants to see democracy flourish in the Middle East, one of the many pressures that ought to be brought to bear there is an emphasis on free economics and an elimination of the Thugocracies that keep the wealth all to themselves. One of the noteable *failures* of the Bush administration has been to not put massive pressure on the Saudis in this regard, for example.

Cutting off trade.
--
Boycott Google for their support of communist censorship and repression!

Dave Balderstone wrote:

Gee, now there's a workable idea. I say GWB just pulls his head out of his ass and cuts off all trade with China until they behave the way we'd like. Such a simple solution. I wish I had your grasp of the situation and your talent for problem solving.
Joe Barta
says...

somewhere . . . I think . . . . ?
;-)