Tile+wood table top

Hi all,
I really like this end table I ran across while web surfing, and I think I'll try to make my own version.
http://www.americanmissionfurniture.com/endtable.html
It seems that the differential expansion between the wooden part of the top and the tile/grout part of the top could create cracks in the grout or tile. Perhaps this could be avoided by:
1. Using enough latex additive in the grout so that it has a bit more tensile strength and flexibility. 2. Using quarter-sawn oak, like they did, because qswo has little cross-grain expansion. 3. Leaving a little gap between the grout and wood and fill with matching caulk.
I'm hoping #1 and #2 would be suitable solutions. #3 sounds ugly. Anyone know if differential expansion in a piece like this is likely to be a problem? If so, any solutions?
Thanks!
Kevin
Hi all,
I really like this end table I ran across while web surfing, and I think I'll try to make my own version.
http://www.americanmissionfurniture.com/endtable.html
It seems that the differential expansion between the wooden part of the top and the tile/grout part of the top could create cracks in the grout or tile. Perhaps this could be avoided by:
1. Using enough latex additive in the grout so that it has a bit more tensile strength and flexibility. 2. Using quarter-sawn oak, like they did, because qswo has little cross-grain expansion. 3. Leaving a little gap between the grout and wood and fill with matching caulk.
I'm hoping #1 and #2 would be suitable solutions. #3 sounds ugly. Anyone know if differential expansion in a piece like this is likely to be a problem? If so, any solutions?
I think that what I would do, Kevin, is use a plywood substrate and/or some one quarter inch backer board under the tile.
Dave in Houston

Thanks Dave, I guess my concern is whether the oak "frame" around the tiles will move in and out, towards and away, from the tiles and crack the grout.
Kevin
Kevin, I built a buffet about 24 inches deep, 70 inches wide, and put a tile top on. The top has a 3 inch oak border around, and a 4 inch divider piece in the middle. The tile is 6 inch square (matches the entry hall), each half is 2 rows of 8 tiles I think. I stuck the tiles down with some type of glue, and when dry, filled with the same grout used in the hall. The border is white oak, 3/4 inch thick, and the center where the tile is is about 1/4 inch thick. All glued up before the tile went in. I built this 2 years ago, and it is in the dining room at approx 70 degrees. Not a crack to be found anywhere. I did the same thing for a backstop to the buffet, 12 x 70 inches, and no problems there either.
Hope this helps.....