Tightening the collar on a router bit

I have a router bit with a bearing that goes on the shaft, and a collar that holds it in place with a little set screw.
The set screw head stripped ( the allen head socket). I replaced it, and the replacement stripped. Am I doing something wrong, or what? I can't get it tight enough to use.
Mon, Nov 20, 2006, 6:17pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@Yahoo.com (Toller) <snip> Am I doing something wrong <snip> Mind you, this is just a WAG on my part, but I'd say YES.
JOAT Democratic justice. One man, one rock.
(Toller)

Well that sure was helpful...
Mon, Nov 20, 2006, 3:13pm locutus snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Locutus) doth sayeth: Well that sure was helpful...
I don't read minds - he only asked the one question, so that's what I answered.. I figured if he had wantd to know what he might be doing wrong he'd have asked. Was Ithat wong?
JOAT Democratic justice. One man, one rock.
Toller wrote: > I have a router bit with a bearing that goes on the shaft, and a collar that > holds it in place with a little set screw. > > The set screw head stripped ( the allen head socket). I replaced it, and > the replacement stripped. Am I doing something wrong, or what? I can't get > it tight enough to use.
Use some Loctite, then bring screw up just snug.
Lew
Toller wrote:

You have to torque them to German specs.
Guedantite [good an tight] N. - A fastener that has been torqued to the point of stripping then backed off a quarter turn.

The only job of that collar and set screw is to keep the bearing from sliding down the shaft. If you're sure you won't need to use the bit without the bearing, just apply some Locktite Stud & Bearing adhesive to glue the bearing to the shaft. Then you can go without the collar if you want.
DonkeyHody "Every man is my superior in that I can learn from him." - Thomas Carlyle

Depends on the grade of Loctite you use -- some are designed for disassembly, others are not. Blue Loctite can be undone without much trouble.
--
Regards,

ARE you using the correct sized Allen wrench? That will happen if you are using metric instead of SAE and visa versa.

the second one I used the one that fit best, but it stripped also. Cheap wrenches?
As a guess, I'd say the allen head socket is a metric size and you're using a standard allen wrench which won't fit correctly. Take the bit (with screw) to a tool store (maybe auto parts) and see if you can find the proper size allen wrench.

As others have said, make sure you have the right size wrench. The most common cause of a screw coming loose is that it was never tightened sufficiently in the first place. Lctite is just glue. If the screw is loose, Loctite will do nothing but glue it in a permanently loose condition. There is a lot of friction between threads when tightening a screw. So much so that the threads will seize before the bolt is really tight. A good thread lube will eliminate the seizing problem. Antiseize will allow you to get the screw tight and it will stay that way. A bit counterintuitive but it works. I have been using this in extreme industrial situations for years with excellent results.

You might check to be sure your using the correct allen wrench. Some of the bearings are held on with metric sized allen screws.
Mike O.