through the poly on a new floor

I was recently redoing my hardwood floor and I had just coated the first layer of poly and used a buffer with a screen to abraid the surface to put a second coat. In the process the screen cut to aggresively in some spots and whent through the finish and a little bit of the stain causing a blotchy appearance. Any suggestions short of redoing the entire project.

Reply to
stricken

If you sanded off the finish and stain, I think you are in for a strip/refinish unless you can live with the appearance of different colors of stain where you have restained before recoating. Since the wood has had a coating on it, the resins/oils that the coating has left behing will leave large witness lines around evey area you restain/recoat.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

The best hope is to try and use some toned (colored) finish. Take some of the same poly and add some transtint or other dye abut 1/2 as dark as the original stain. Hand apply very thin cotas and hand sand it out and try to feather the edges. A few coats to build up to a similar color and with a lot of luck and skill you "might" save the day.

I can pull this off about 1/3 of the time. I had one success on a table top recently but had to completly redo a drawer on the same project.

snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote:

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Sigh... it almost never works for me. *Especially* not with anything poly. After consulting the manufacturer rep, I don't sand between coats anymore when using poly. BUT, I do not do floors unless it is just a room or two.

Although the manufacturer's rep had some problem with this, method, I do not. If brushing, I do not thin. If spraying, I thin as needed. But in any event, I get s second coat on in no more than 8 hours before the first coat is applied. No sanding.

Same with the third coat, if needed.

But timing is everything. I couldn't do it if it were a weekend project as I would have to time too carefully. But since it is what I do as part of my biz, I can put a coat on first thing in the morning, then one at the end of the day.

If I am spraying, I put a thinned tack coat on, then about thirty minutes or so later I put on a really heavy coat. Heavy for me anyway. It probably isn't more than about 4 mil. If applied thirty to forty five minutes, though, it will bond easily to the first coat to get a nice film build. Often times that puts enough hide on something (doors, heavy use table tops, etc. that benefit from poly) to get a good finish on it. If it needs more, it is easy to scuff sand that much finish without going through to apply more finish.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41