thoughts on painting shop walls and ceiling

Finished hanging the drywall on Saturday in the shop area of the gar/shop. The ceilings are 10 ft. I opted to have a couple of pros do the taping, because frankly, I suck at taping, and I'd like to get it done sometime this year. A good friend is a carpentry/drywall contractor, so he sent out two guys to do the taping. Amazing what the proper tools and skills can do. The ceiling is about 480 SF and the walls are another 700 SF. They taped the joints and did the first layer of mud in about 2 1/2 hours. The bazooka seems to be the key. Being able to walk on stilts to reach the 10 foot ceiling helps also.
Ok, the point is, I'm going to be ready to paint soon. I'm planning to prime everything, of course, but after that, I wonder if anyone has any suggestions for paint. White seems to be the way to go. What about sheen? Semi-gloss? Gloss? Anything else to consider?
todd
My preference is for white glossy paint: more reflective and easier to wipe clean.

Yes, be sure to prime new drywall. I'd go for semi-gloss; washable but not too shiny. Some kind of beige or off-white; it will help with the light but without too much glare.
Malcolm Hoar wrote:

Agree on all points. W/ 10-ft ceiling I'd consider the gloss white for ceiling for the light, but I'd not want pure white gloss on the walls.
A latex enamel will be hard and durable, but I'd also go to a semigloss rather than high gloss on the walls...
todd wrote:

I like white and glossy. Preferably oil. Ditto the floor. Crud will blow off the walls.
Unfortunately, I have white, flat and latex except for the floor which is white, glossy and polyurethane. I'd repaint walls and ceiling but the thought of getting the place clean enough to do so boggles my mind.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Besides! Think of all those memories! The yellow mark from the kickback of '04, the brown marks from the can of stain that "exploded" as you got it open, the purple marks from the PVC glue.
Puckdropper ;-)

I thought I was the only one who hired that decorator!

I painted my shop walls with antique white satin wall paint. Plenty of light reflection with no glare, and it's just about the color of sawdust <g>
Bill
"Bill" wrote:

That would also be my choice.
Lew

Cheap flat titanium white is the best reflective coating, 95% light reflection, second only to silver aluminum mylar at 98%. Gloss and semi gloss paint will show distracting bright spots when you turn on the lights.
todd wrote:

I went pure white with flat ceiling and egshell walls.
I'd stay away from glossy or even semigloss, as I find glare spots distracting.
Use a good stiff roller frame (the flimsy consumer grade ones flex and make it harder to do a good job). I have an extendable fiberglass pole to give more reach. A better quality roller will hold more paint and apply it more evenly.
The simplest is use a separate roller for the primer and the actual paint. If you do two final coats, in between coats you can remove the roller, wrap it tightly in a couple layers of saran wrap, and store it in the fridge.
Chris

White white or white.gloss on the floor and semi on the walls and ceilings......lots of light and parts etc are so easy to find if dropped. When I was in the military (USAF) they started to paint the shop and hanger floors high ghloss white. Yea white in a greasy oily environement is a good idea is what we thought as it was gonna show everything. Well it sure did and it made cleanup much easier and seeing under airplanes and such was also imroved a 100% without needing addional electric lights.......I liked it so much I painted my metalworking shop and my wood shop with high gloss polyurethane on the floor for better wear, and the walls with latex white in semi gloss......Its been great.

Actually, if all the gear isn't in, a paint sprayer is the best option for large areas. I painted 1/3 of my shop ceiling (shop is 1200 SF) with a roller. I then borrowed an airless sprayer (not the handheld junk). I repainted that third, did the rest, waited six hours and came back and second coated it in less time that the first third had taken with a roller.

I used Sherman Williams "Sea Oats" on the walls and "Bone China" on the ceiling, both in flat. Very light, but not glaring. SWMBO approved.
-- Doug