Thoughts on Cabinet Top?

Hi,

I'm building a changing table for my child to be. I've got the face frame built (mortise and tennon), and I'm ready now to build the cabinet around it. I would like to put some type of decorative molding around the top (the table surface.)

What is the best way to do this? I'm using good oak ply for the cabinet sides and top. Do I make the top flush with the rest of the cabinet and then build out from there? Do I make the top overhang the rest of the cabinet and put some type of crown underneath?(like doing crown molding under a ceiling) Will I need to put edging on the ply?

I'm looking for a classic look. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Thanks,

Todd

Reply to
Todd Seidenberg

You could use the oak ply for the top and have it overhang on three sides (minus the rear). Use dowels to attach it to the frame. Use solid oak stock rounded over as an edging to the plywood top. And then make a crown moulding that butts up to the overhung top with something like a classic ogee profile.

Just one idea. :-)

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

You know, I wasn't reading your post correctly when I responded... Essentially you want a ridge around the top that the changing pad will set in... I'll have to think about that one. But you could still have the overhung top with moulding below, and then dado a groove just off the edge that the rabetted and mitered lip would slip into. I'd probably not make that lip flush with the outer edge of the top so that I could put a cove or maybe another ogee style moulding between the lip and the edge.

Dunno if that made any sense.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian