Thought experiment

Page 2 of 3

I suppose you have to remove all the nails and metal out of the scrap wood before it gets chipped up.
That would suck, but it probably would save money. Probably not as much after you consider the time cleaning the wood.
--
Jim in NC

"Morgans" wrote:

---------------------------- Magnets make short work of ferrous metal.
Lew

So you are saying you chip up the wood with some nails still in it, and get out the metal with magnets after it has been chipped up?
--
Jim in NC

"Morgans" wrote:

--------------------------------- That's one approach.
Maybe they use a hammer mill instead of a chipper.
Those are engineering details I leave to others.
It's not rocket science.
Lew
We were on the road a lot, probably 40 weeks out of the year. They taught me to rely on the tools I had, not to fold up and quit because there was a job that would do the work in a faster or more elegant manner. ------------------------------ Sounds like my approach to sailing.
If it gets more complex than a hunk of Columbian line (rope) or a Harken block (pulley), I view it with a very jaundiced eye.
KISS definitely applies.
Lew

Like swingman, I am not going to snip such good stuff. Gonna save it for posterity.
Where do I start? We live in a world of whiners that can't do hardly anything out of the ordinary.
I grew up on a farm that used hare drawn equipment pulled behind a tractor. It stayed outside and often needed repairs. Needless to say, no parts or manuals were available. My dad would come up to me and say, the hay loader is broken down in the back field, go fix it. I would grab some tools and a trusty coil of baling wire, and go fix it. No training, just went and did it. Because, until it got fixed, I didn't eat. How's that for motivation?
I have designed and built many things in my life because I could not afford them otherwise. These were often done in small, basic shops and simple tools. It is a matter of wanting it and working hard to do whatever is required. Along the way, I picked up many useful skills. I am still designing and building them. Counting my farm boy days, I have doing this for over 50 years.
Like Stewart Brand, of Whole Earth Catalog fame said, "Don't mistake a lack of funds for a lack of resources."
On 9/8/2010 2:38 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

Ditto ... and despite the long proven ability to do it with few resources, it sure is nice to finally have some good tools that you just a little further down the road of pure pleasure when using, and that make your work that much easier.
IOW, despite the upbringing, you would have to pry my cold dead hands off my TS75 and guide rails.
Viva Festool! ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Which blade are you using and when cutting plywood, how far do you drop the blade below the bottom of the ply? Have you cut melamine with it yet?

If you're really interested in a working depth of cut, there's several comments dealing with suitable depth of cuts in the Festool Owner's Group. Anyone interested can sign on as a guest, they don't need to be a Festool owner to read or make comments. Mucho information there about many tools, not just Festool brand.
On 9/8/2010 10:52 PM, Robatoy wrote:

The standard issue blade thus far. One click of the height adjustment past the stock (1mm?). Nope, no melamine.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Price aside, I wonder how the Domino would have gone over some fifty years ago? Think that period would have preceeded biscuit joiners too for the most part. Guess dowelling would have been the order of the day. I've been playing with my my Domino several times a week. Haven't used it to build anything yet, but there's a number of examples of pieces of wood 'invisibly' held together around my place. It sure has plenty of toy value built into it.

Very true. I am glad I know how to do more with less, but I am much more pleased to be able to do more with more.
I like brad guns, compound miter saws, cordless drills and the like. I will use any tool (within reason!) that will make the job go faster, easier, turn out a better job, or make me money.
Most of my work is remodel and repair. That's my preferred bailiwick. And as in most lines of work, the most important (and most underused tool) that a worker has is his open mind.
Wow.... getting a little preachy here....
Robert

Last time my mind was a bit too open, somebody tried to throw teabags in it. Loose leaf green, sure... but bags?
Ooops
Proper skills and tooling and the experience to see a solution to a customer's problem plus the ability to package that solution in an attractive package...and THEN selling it, and Bob's your uncle.
Lee Michaels wrote: ...

Damn!!! I thought our jackrabbits were sizable but don't think they'd suit as draft hares... :)
On 9/8/2010 4:15 PM, dpb wrote:

Flashing on a '50s horror movie called "night of the Lepus".

Damn spellchecker!! LOL
I did not see that one. Just to clear the air, I meant HORSE, as in equine, as in the four legged farm animal.
Nope, we did not have those Aussie size rabbits around here.
Lee Michaels wrote:

OK, now ya' done done it...gave me the opening for the following I first saw from a tech support guy he posted on his company's private newsgroup help forum...I've always like it; enjoy -- :)
I have a spelling checker. It came with my PC. It plane lee marks four my revue Miss steaks aye can knot see.
Eye ran this poem threw it. Your sure real glad two no. Its very polished in its weigh, My checker tolled me sew.
A checker is a blessing. It freeze yew lodes of thyme. It helps me right awl stiles two reed, And aides me when aye rime.
Each frays come posed up on my screen Eye trussed too bee a joule. The checker pours o'er every word To cheque sum spelling rule.
Bee fore a veiling checkers Hour spelling mite decline, And if we're laks oar have a laps, We wood bee maid too wine.
Butt now bee cause my spelling Is checked with such grate flare, There are know faults with in my cite, Of nun eye am a wear.
Now spelling does not phase me, It does knot bring a tier. My pay purrs awl due glad den With wrapped words fare as hear.
To rite with care is quite a feet Of witch won should be proud, And wee mussed dew the best wee can, Sew flaws are knot aloud.
Sow ewe can sea why aye dew prays Such soft wear four pea seas, And why eye brake in two averse Buy righting want too please.
[source unknown]
"dpb" wrote:

--------------------------------- Another one you can add to the list courtesy of Ron Force.
Enjoy
Lew -------------------------------- *Spell Checker Poem*
I have a spelling checker - It came with my pee cee It plane lee marks four my revue Miss steaks aye can knot sea
Eye ran this poem threw it, Your sure reel glad two no. Its vary polished in it's weigh - My checker tolled me sew.
A checker is a bless sing. It freeze yew lodes of thyme. It helps me awl stiles two reed, And aides me when aye rime.
To rite with care is quite a feet Of witch won should be proud. And wee mussed dew the best wee can, Sew flaws are knot aloud.
And now bee cause my spelling Is checked with such grate flare, Their are know faults with in my cite; Of non eye am a wear.
Each frays come posed up on my screen Eye trussed to be a joule. The checker poured o'er every word To cheque sum spelling rule.
That's why aye brake in two averse By righting wants too pleas. Sow now ewe sea why aye dew prays Such soft wear for pea seas!
Ron Force Moscow Idaho USA
On 9/8/2010 2:38 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

Yeppers ... folks often ask how I learned woodworking. The answer has always been I never knew that you had to "learn" how.
When told to build picnic tables for the church bazaar at the age of nine, I was pointed to a picnic table and simply told "... do it like that."
Nuff said ... ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Yes, on being able to look at something and make something new based on it.
The next step in learning is to look at it, and make something like it, but modified to suit your needs and available resources.
The largest step is being able to combine several ideas and methods into a totally new idea. That is the hardest thing to teach, but it also the most important.
As I teach my youngsters, I will never be able to show them how to do every type of construction detail they will run into if they stay in the trade for life. The key is to teach them how to think. How to use what they know to figure out how to get from problem to solution; one that they have never used before.
--
Jim in NC