Those little rubber sanding drums

I sure hope some one can give me a few hints. I've owned and used those little rubber plugs that hold premade sand paper tubes for many years. Once I squeeze one on the first tube, it never seems to relax enough to get a new one on again. I can't be the only one with this problem.

Reply to
DanG

Only ones I've had use threaded end screw to tighten; loosening it lets them relax...this is something different???

Reply to
dpb

The ones I use have some sort of tightening device on the end opposite the shaft. Either a screw, or a nut on a threaded shaft. This either depresses the entire length of the drum, or pushes a cone shape end into the drum causing the rubber drum to swell a little. The problem I have had with frequent uses is that loosening the device doesn't necessarily relax the swelling, causing the sleeve to be a little difficult to remove.

Reply to
RonB

What I forgot to mention in my other response that I'll use this opportunity for since it seems to fit... :)

The trick is to remember to uncompress them when not in use so they don't take a permanent set (at least so soon).

Reply to
dpb

After you loosen the the screw/nut that compresses the rubber, roll it back and forth on the bench with the palm of your hand or a flat board, like rolling out dough. If that doesn't do the trick, drop in some very hot water for a minute and the roll it.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Hmmmm, I just remembered something I have to do out in the garage. I hope I can still get the sandpaper sleeve off that roller....

Reply to
DGDevin

BTDT. If you can't get the drum off the rubber sleeve just peel it off. Then chuck the drum up and spin it against some sandpaper to reduce it's diameter slightly. Go slow so you don't overshoot, but if you do make it too small just wrap some masking tape around it. Art

Reply to
Artemus