Those d$&%*$ 'screw off' lids

Ok, this has probably been addressed before, but I can't find anything in a google search.

I am continually frustrated by those small screw off lids on liquids, like Watco, poly, denatured alcohol, etc. I use the term 'screw off' loosely - those that say ' press down and turn'.

I can never get them off without resorting to a pair of channel-locks and then container gets all boogered up, my blood pressure elevates, and the neighborhood kids learn some new nasty words.

Any helpful hints? Any special tools that make it easier?

thanks - jim

Reply to
Jim Wheeler

When the can is new and the lid comes off well, I like to carve the little plastic cover off the lid. Makes it easier to grab with those channel locks.

DanG

Reply to
Daniel

Jim, The basic problem is that the contents of the container get on to the threads and literally 'gum up' the works.

Two tips -

1} Give a quick wipe to the threads before putting the cap back on 2} Put a small piece of slightly thick plastic 'film' {even a couple of layers of a supermarket bag}, over the opening and screw the cap on over it. {Learned that one from my wife, a research chemist - they use a special material in the lab}

"Jim Wheeler" wrote ... SNIP

Reply to
Ron Magen

use one of these for such things:

think Sears makes something similar.

Reply to
Bill Stock

NO!!!! Do NOT do that.

Every child in your town will be at risk. What if your shop door is open and kids on the way to school spot the unprotected container? They'd be tempted to sneak into the shop and open the container. Then they may take it to the bus stop and show it to the older kids, the bad kids that smoke. The fumes would be ignited by the smokers and passing drivers would be startled causing a chain reaction accident. The streets will be blocked so emergency vehicles will not be able to get through. Parents will be clamoring to the area creating chaos..

You'd be arrested for possessing a dangerous substance, your shop would be branded an attractive nuisance. The town will sue you, the parents will sue you and you will need the ACLU to defend you.

It could happen.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You could also leave the lids alone and, whip the little butts for messing with anything they are told not to touch until they get the point. Then you don't even have to keep the shop door closed.

.... except in that this day and age you'd probably do better starting with the parent's butts.

Reply to
Swingman

Swingman responds:

Well, hell, that might interfere with the parents' self-esteem, mightn't it? See how the problems just escalate.

Charlie Self "Men stumble over the truth from time to time, but most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened." Sir Winston Churchill

Reply to
Charlie Self

Pry the plastic off. There is a standard metal cap underneath. I hate safety caps...on anything.

Reply to
CW

Reply to
items4sale

It's called Parafilm, and I have a roll of it. Nyah, nyah.

But seriously, Parafilm is awesome stuff. Use it to seal glue bottles and the like. It can provide an airtight, non-reactive seal. There's a knack to using it. [Everyone here has a roll each of waxed paper, plastic wrap, and aluminum (aluminium..."ptooie") foil in the shop, right?]

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

Apply Teflon plumber's tape to the threads before screwing it back on.

Petroleum jelly also works well with shellac jars.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y