Those black spots on the metal. What is that?

Page 2 of 2

snipped-for-privacy@codesmiths.com wrote:

If the pits are back from the edge, I agree with you, if they're at the edge, I don't.
What oil do you use on your chisels?
Years ago I put 3 in 1 oil on them and then maybe not use the tool again until next summer. Since I was chiseling construction wood. Oil didn't really matter. Today, I haven't been putting anything on them. Have a recommendation? I read about putting Topcoat or wax on planes, probably should do the same with chisels I suppose. Is there anything you can do to prevent further deterioration of black spots or are you doomed and its just going to be the pits..

"Jim Hall"

unless you prevent further rusting - exposure to moisture.
Here in SoCal, its not a huge problem but when I want to protect a tool that sees little use, I will spray it with a mixture of motor oil and kerosene (5 parts oil - 1 part kerosene). Then wipe the excess off and put it away. This may not help in high humidity areas but it works like a champ here. BTW, garden tools get shoved into a bucket of sand mixed with oil before storage in the shed.
Dave
RicodJour wrote:

Yes, I'd agree with that.
My usual bench chisels are Japanese though, so this problem doesn't arise. I could either lap a pit out of the back in a minute or two, or leave it alone if it's in the hollow.

For chisels I use Japanese "camellia" oil, which is actually fish oil with a scent added. Buy it from any quality toolstore, it's common these days. It's persistent, non-oxidising (measurably), non-gummy and lets you go straight into carving lime (basswood) without leaving marks. I also keep a bamboo/cotton waste oil pot full of the stuff on my bench.
For swords I use camellia oil, made from camellias. I get this from a Chinese herbalist, sold as a hair product.
Thanks for your advice on protecting chisels..