those big plastic tool cases.....

Page 1 of 2

I have, over the years, accumulated quite a collection of power hand tools, each arriving in its own molded, form fitting case. Problem is, where to store all of this. I am building a shop, and elected to store these tools in drawers or on shelves that are sized to fit the tool, and not the case, as I have run out of room, especially for the gartgantuan cases like my Milwaukee cordless circular saw (only comes in a case sized to carry the complete set of 18V Milw tools). I am planning to toss the cases into the recycling bin or donate them to someone that could use them.
Question: How do you store these tools and their cases? Am I messing up by tossing the cases?
Well, they're nice for totin' to the jobsite. The blow-molded cases_are_ a bit "specialized", being good only for their intended tools, and little else. My old Milwaukee driver-drill case is a steel box with a storage shelf laid in on top. It's great for assorted drill bits, driver bits, a rivet gun and a yogurt cup of rivets. But with the advent of these blow-molded cases, forget about all that. Sigh. I store the molded cases under my workbench, on top of the miter bench, and in my truck. Tom
bob wrote:

IMHO, a big YES
By all means, keep the cases.
If you are not too far down the road, let me suggest something.
Design a storage system where you use these coated wire baskets they use in closet organizers or something similar.
Make the baskets all the same size regardless of what is in them.
Since the baskets are are open, any saw dust will fall out.
If you damage one, easy replacement.
By keeping the molded cases, you maintain a package that keeps all of the parts and pieces of a particular tool together.
Ever look at a Fein Multimaster?
Typical German, well thought out, but lots of bits and pieces.
Just one example, there are others.
Lew
I toss them.

That's silly. If you don't want them, sell them on eBay.
--
Regards,

Not necessarily. Sell them for $10 or $15. Figure on the time to put it in a cardboard box, seal it, take it to the post office and that's aside from time to place an ad on eBay, possibly answer questions posed by prospective buyers. What do you figure, an hour or too spent on this? Might just as well go into work for an hour or two of overtime and make many times the amount of money you'd get from selling them on eBay.
ONLY benefit to selling them is that at that point, they're not winding up yet in a landfill. Easier by far to just offer them up for free. Lot fewer questions, they're easier to get rid of and no one is going to try to negotiate with you. And at that point, they're not ending up in a landfill.

Not all of us get overtime. If I work extra hours, my paycheck still reads the same. On the flip side, if I sneak out an hour or two early occasionally, my paycheck also still reads the same.
I do a lot of manual labor stuff at home that many people pay for simply because I am cheap and can't work more hours to bring in extra money.
Brian Elfert
This morning I mailed a list of finishing solvents to the local freecycle.com site and lo and behold have received 4 queries asking for address! Landfill be damned! We're moving and a LOT of other items will follow this route. Not Route 66.

Upscale (in 1oednQ0cCe4zQwvenZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com) said:
||| I toss them. || || That's silly. If you don't want them, sell them on eBay. | | Not necessarily. Sell them for $10 or $15. Figure on the time to | put it in a cardboard box, seal it, take it to the post office and | that's aside from time to place an ad on eBay, possibly answer | questions posed by prospective buyers. What do you figure, an hour | or too spent on this? Might just as well go into work for an hour | or two of overtime and make many times the amount of money you'd | get from selling them on eBay. | | ONLY benefit to selling them is that at that point, they're not | winding up yet in a landfill. Easier by far to just offer them up | for free. Lot fewer questions, they're easier to get rid of and no | one is going to try to negotiate with you. And at that point, | they're not ending up in a landfill.
I like the way you think! If anyone has an unwanted plastic case for an old 4A (catalog number 6508) Milwaukee Sawzall, I'd like to give it a good home.
Some poor confused soul here in Iowa sent the saw to the landfill but kept the case. Go figure.
Morris Dovey wrote:

It won't be free, but you can probably find either a plastic or old style metal case on ebay. I bought a metal one for the reasons the OP stated, but I passed over several plastic ones. AFAIK, all of the corded Sawzalls are the same size and fit in the same case.
Tom M.
tom snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (in snipped-for-privacy@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com) said:
| It won't be free, but you can probably find either a plastic or old | style metal case on ebay. I bought a metal one for the reasons the | OP stated, but I passed over several plastic ones. AFAIK, all of the | corded Sawzalls are the same size and fit in the same case.
Thanks! I'll check it out.
Morris Dovey wrote:

probably dig up their info if you want. Let me know.
Tom M.
tom snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (in snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com) said:
| Morris Dovey wrote: || tom snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (in || snipped-for-privacy@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com) said: || ||| It won't be free, but you can probably find either a plastic or ||| old style metal case on ebay. I bought a metal one for the ||| reasons the OP stated, but I passed over several plastic ones. ||| AFAIK, all of the corded Sawzalls are the same size and fit in ||| the same case. || || Thanks! I'll check it out. || | The outfit that sold me mine had a bunch of the metal cases. I could | probably dig up their info if you want. Let me know.
Tom...
Yes - please do. Thanks!
In 90 years, your great grandson will pull out that special tool that was handed down to the eldest son of an eldest son and he will bring it to the Antique Roadshow. Won't he be disappointed to learn there was a case that the tool came in and because it is missing, the tool is only worth 6 bucks instead of the collector price of 15 to 19 bucks.
You really have to think ahead.
Pete

them, but they do. Very easy to ship since they don't even need a box!
Toller wrote:

Some folks take the tools out of the shop, think "van shelves". If you bought the tool at a pawn shop or eBay, the case frequently isn't included. I've gotten brand new cordless tools, minus batteries, CHEAP at pawn shops. Since I've got plenty of batteries, I'm happy.
I keep my cases, but frequently used tools don't live in them. Some tools, like my right angle drill, electric hand plane, Kreg jig, etc... see most use on finish carpentry projects outside the shop. The cases for frequently used shop tools (routers, cordless drills, biscuit joiners, sanders) are handy to have for away games.
Anyone have a case for a Bosch 3 1/4" electric plane they don't want?
At least where I used to live in Annandale, VA, it would be easy to solve this problem. Put it out on the curb on a day when there is not trash collection. Any object that looks potentially useful, resellable, or scavangable will disappear within a few hours. Doesn't work here, on the end of a cul de sac where no traffic goes by.
Steve

bob wrote:

The only case I use is for the dado set.
Dave
bob wrote:

For the stuff that I know is going to "travel" from time to time, I keep the cases stored on a high shelf in the shop (10' ceiling). For the rest I just store the cases up in the attic of the shop just in case I ever need them or if I want to sell it.
-jj
--
Remove BOB to email me

Ebay baby!!! People will buy anything - including empty boxes.