Page 1 of 3
Is it any good, or just hype.
nb

Only use it on your "Deck"

But what if my deck is REALLY big?
-Zz

Get 2
Fit for purpose; outdoor wood.
I just saw yesterday a 3 year old set of Adirondack chairs that have been out in the sun and rain all the time since I sold them. I made them from Pine. They were stained with a brownish Thompsons. The stain was now blotchy but the wood was in fine condition, as good as new really. I have one chair from the same batch that I kept, with no finish and left it outside also. I had to add wood screws for the failing staples this year as the wood is deteriorating, it has turned black and looks like it will last another few years before it fails.

On 8/16/2009 5:06 PM notbob spake thus:

It does work, if that's what you're asking; it will seal wood.
However, there may be better stuff out there. A painter I trust told me he uses Armstrong's deck sealer instead (the "natural" color, not clear, he insisted).

IME, hype. Used on Greenhouse windows. Did not last a year.
Luigi

Crap. Get Penofin oil.

I used it once when the walls of a house had old wallpaper paste on them and knew the paste would bleed through the latex..
Didn't bring any Bullseye primer so used TWS instead and the latex covered in one coat without bleed through..
I've also used it to soak wood parts for RV accessories and it seems to work well..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

I don't know how well it works on wood, but it is a terrific water proofer on canvas. Fifteen or more years ago I needed a ground cloth for a diamond shelter I sometimes use in primitive camping. I used a 5x9 foot piece of untreated heavy canvas. I washed the canvas to remove any sizing, then hung it from a line and gave it a coat of Thompsons once a day for a week or two. Don't remember the exact number. At least 6 coats, but no more than 10. After drying for a few days, I rubbed it down to soften it.
Thing smelled nasty for about a year. Not solvent, just a very unpleasant odor I assumed was from the Thompsons. About the time it quit stinking, it also became relatively flexible and non-sticky, even on hot days. It was also waterproof as a rubber pond liner.
I still use it on a few campouts a year. It is still waterproof. I'd hate to see it catch fire. All that wax burning could generate more excitement than would be proper for a refined gentleman of my age, specially if I was sleeping on it at the time.
Regards, Roy

If you are talking about the square 4 or 5 quart can that sells in the $20-25 range it is a 2 year solution at best. I used it on the deck of a previous house for a few years. then we built a fence and decided to go to something different. We put Olympic premium on both about three years ago. Sold the house but had a chance to see it a couple of weeks ago and the fence looks great. Costs more but well worth it.
RonB

I believe I should have said Olympic "Maximum". You can get the Olympic products in a light tint or a full stain. We used the tint which lets grain definition get through better. A neighbor used the stain version and IMO it come up looking kind of murky.
Ron
On 8/17/2009 10:02 AM RonB spake thus:

Well, guess what? I've got a deck to seal in a couple days. Went to local hardware store (Orchard Supply) where I saw some Olympic clear sealer (not stain) in a gallon paint can, not the rectangular cans solvents and stuff come in. It looks pretty good and I think I'll use it. Says it contains linseed oil, so it's not just wax and solvent as Thompson's is spozed to be.

: Is it any good, or just hype.
It's about the worst stuff on the market. A waste of money and time.
    -- Andy Barss
On 8/17/2009 9:23 AM Andrew Barss spake thus:

So what do you suggest using?

I have used, with great success, Flood's Penetrol. I know, I know it is supposed to be an additive, but what it is, is super clean BLO and protects wood like nothing else I have seen. So, if one doesn't need to do much, it is great stuff. For a big deck, it will be pricey.
On 8/17/2009 11:47 AM Robatoy spake thus:

1. You're in the UK, aren't you?
2. What' "BLO"?

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Is Canada part of the UK?

or
Boiled Linseed Oil?
Which would you put on a deck?

--
Froz...

NO! NO!!
It is not BLO it is BLOW and you use the deck to cut it 52 ways. BEG
P D Q

The former. I could find an actual use for the BLO.
nb