thomas renegade compressors

I'm hoping to get some information on the Thomas line of compressors. I'm interested in their Pro Series....specifically the Renegade. In doing various searches on google, I've not been able to find an reviews or opinions on this compressor. (I did see 5 postings on the Amazon site....all positive).

What impresses me is the 1700rpm motor which is half that of the competition, along with the quality components they claim to use. In addition, it is only 75db which is great for my wife :-)

I'm worried, however, about the oil-less design. According to the information on their website, it is "permanently lubricated. But I've read where this "lubrication" (which is some sort of Teflon I assume) eventually breaks down from the heat. Many posts I've read say to stick with the Oil-lubed compressors for these reasons.

Any info on this is appreciated.

Reply to
mauiboy

If you have the room, get the $400 one from HD or Lowes, about 9 cfm at 90 psi. It should last you forever and handle everything except heavy sandblasting. If you get the one on wheels, it's convenient to move. If you plan to loan it out or take it places, get the biggest one that runs on

120V, which will be about 3 HP instead of 6. Of course if you will only use a brad gun, it doesn't matter much.
Reply to
Wilson Lamb

Since it is still oil-less, you might want to check what the noise level is for an oil-bathed design. (I'm suspecting it is quite a bit less than 75 dB -- remember every 3 dB is half the noise)

I know that my next compressor will be an oil-lubed compressor when my oil-less dies. [if at all possible]

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I don't believe Thomas Compressors makes an oil-lubed design. What surprises me is that their Oil-less design is QUIETER than the competitions Oil-lubed design. The Porter cable and Dewalt models competing with this Thomas model are 83db while the thomas is 75db. Quite a bit of difference. Also, I'm not able to find what the cylinder (aluminum or cast iron) and pump (cast iron?) are made of. It really seems like a very good deal, but having to buy "sight unseen" makes me a bit nervous.....

If there are any reviews out there that I've not come across I'd be very interested to see them.

:-)

Reply to
mauiboy

my take is they make the very best oiless (I believe they invented same) compressors. I agonized over my decision, but settled on a CH pancake ($200 vs $350 for comp. Thomas- purely financial). Both have 1750 rpm motors, and the noise level of either is vastly preferable to almost any other true portable I've encountered in the field (many, from several manufacturers. Noise level was a main consideration). I haven't seen the particular model you mention discussed, but I've seen several references to Thomas here; try:

"thomas compressor" and you'll get numerous hits. If $ isn't your main concern, I'd say go for it (of course, that makes you a bastard in my book ).

Reply to
someone

Hey "someone"

Thanks for the post......I'm deciding between the Renegade (view at Amazon) and the Dewalt D55155. I'm really stuck on that Oil-less design, thinking it is somehow of less durability than a oil-lube design (like the dewalt). However, I love the slower rpm motor and that it's quieter. I emailed the company, but they haven't gotten back to me.

Oh yes......$$$ is a factor.....but like the saying goes "you get what you pay for" although I'm sure the dewalt would be a good enough.

Reply to
mauiboy