This works great - why didn't I think of it before?

Page 2 of 2

Been using this method for years.
Just some suggestions...
No cleaning without a good mask, ESPECIALLY if you been cutting either MDF or pressure treated wood. Coughing up MDF dust is NEVER pleasant, and "the big boys" tell me that PT sawdust is dangerous, if inhaled.
Build work benchs and cabinets with three or four inch legs. If, you reached the point where you can get a clear line of sight to the garage door, moving dust and dirt and sawdust is greatly enhanced. As you design, and re-design, and re-re-design your workshop, you'll learn to start designing to facilitate cleaning as well as organization.
After cleaning the workshop, ALWAYS inspect the driveway throughly for the nails and screws that you WILL find one way or the other. Locally, I'm up to $13.50 to get a nail hole patched.
I have an old box fan that I set in front of the garage door. I then lower the door to within two feet of the floor. By opening a window in the back of the garage, I can get a positive air flow going quite nicely. This also seems to help stop airborne particles from blowing back in the workshop.
BTW, on days when it's temporate, I simply screw a furnace filter on the backside of that fan and run it in the garage. (Yes, I have a Powercraft Dust Collection system, but the fan still helps keep the dust down.
My blower is a ultra-cheap "Champion" I bought at an auction about 20 years, ago. Of course, the only leaves it's every blown are the ones that blow into the garage.
You will be covered with dust. Learn to brush/blow the dust off yourself, otherwise SWMBO will be less than kind.
James....
Try it for "snow blowing!" We quite a few brick paver walkways and when a light snow (not the heavy wet stuff) comes, I'm out there with my gas powered blower (Weed-Eater) from HD (around $100). 2 cycle. Been a great time (and back) saver for 3 or 4 years now.
Once you get one, you'll never do without it.
My opinion - stay away from the AC - not enough power!
Lou
I use compressed air to clean the shop, I have a 5hp 30 gal. vertical compressor.
--
Mike S.
snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net

I did that for many years and then one day discovered my gas blower worked 10 times better and 10 times faster due to the much higher volume of air. Just pointing the gas blower in the general direction gets the job thoroughly done in seconds.

You forgot one thing:
Before firing up the blower, instruct anyone in the house NOT to open the garage door and the back door at the same time or the entire dust contents of the garage will magically be teleported into your living room and will settle in every nook and cranny in the house.
Don't ask...
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.motorola.com
says...

It's not *exactly* the same, but a great read none-the-less:

--
Charles Jones -- Loveland, Colorado
ICQ: 29610755