This Old House Comment/Observation

Page 1 of 3
The current This Old House series is about renovating a brownstone in Brooklyn, New York. The architecture and general New York approach is not something I would be comfortable with. Those house do not look comfortable to live in.
The wife of the couple who is doing this remodel has her own unique view of all things that go in this house. To paraphrse her remarks concerning kitchen cabinets, "I specified cherry for the cabinets. Because cherry stains so nice. I could make them just the color I wanted."
Apparently cherry is not a pretty enough color for her. Most of her design decisions follow along this kind of logic. Maybe when she gets done with this project, she could hire herself out as a prison designer.
Lee,

To be honest to her, perhaps she wanted to match the cabinets to a color of the old wood that abounds in their rooms. I think the cherry cabinets are in the ground floor apartment. They are very dark but they seem to complement the rest of the dark woodwork.
I have some friends who are doing a remodel. Their cabinet maker is also "staining" cherry. I've told what a sin that is. They don't seem to care about that at all. They are going for a "look".
MJM

It is not a "sin". It is a choice. A perfectly viable choice.
It's their cherry, they can do what they want with it, including painting it.
Just because neither you nor I would, doesn't mean they shouldn't.
scott
Scott Lurndal wrote:

Not a sin, but stupid, maybe? Why pay for cherry, if you're going to paint it? Who can tell if it's cherry, maple, teak or poplar under a good paint job?
It's kind of like zinc plating a diamond.
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

That's ridiculous; zinc isn't going to stick to a diamond! (sheesh)
Yeah I tell ya, every time I refer back to these pictures of the cherry rocking chair I made for my little brother:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/2286392095/sizes/l/in/set-72157603969234306 /
I kick myself for not using stain! That way he wouldn't have had to wait the extra year for it turn three shades darker than what shows up in the photos... He practically wore out the underside of the rockers waiting for it to happen! I'm such a selfish bastard.
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

Whaowsers, Stevo. That is one fine looking chair you made there. Holy cow. Think you know a guy and then he pulls rank on ya with a piece of work like that. NICE!

....and I forgot to mention that there is a fine example of why cherry is my non-plus-ultra favourite wood. There are more exotic species, some birds eye maple can be breath taking, but only cherry does what it does and that picture of your chair shows it as clearly as anything else I have seen.
Robatoy wrote:

Thankie for the kind words! I'm not usually one to toot my own horn, but if showing off those photos can save one piece of cherry from the stain zombies then I'll be happy.
PUT DOWN THE STAIN AND STEP AWAY FROM THE CHERRY! :-)
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Steve Turner wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/2286392095/sizes/l/in/set-72157603969234306/

Gorgeous work, as usual.
--

-MIKE-

Steve Turner wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/2286392095/sizes/l/in/set-72157603969234306/

Damn you do nice work...
--
Jack
On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 12:44:53 -0500, the infamous Jack Stein

Yeah, gawdjus. Just gawdjus! Hey, Steve, try a UV light next time you want to hurry up the oxidizing of the cherry. (Disclaimer: I haven't tried it but heard that it works. Caution: Do not stare into the UV light with the remaining eye.)
--
A book burrows into your life in a very profound way
because the experience of reading is not passive.
Larry Jaques wrote:

Thanks Larry. I remember your kind comments right after I built this chair; geez, how many years have intervened since then? I dropped out of here for quite a while after all that noisy "puppy wizard" business, but apart from all the political crap I'm happy to see the group is back to some level of sanity, and it's good to see you back here as well. I don't have any Cherry projects in the queue, but I'll keep the UV trick in mind next time one comes along.
Scott:

Perhaps, "shame" is a better word? The wife puts a table cloth on a cherry table we bought in Amish country about 2 years ago. I never see the beautiful wood at all. I just saw an exhibit of Shaker furniture and I like the patina that furniture takes as it gets used.
As someone else noted, if you're building in cherry and staining it, why not poplar or maple, etc.
Bottom line, it's their money as I told them. If they like it, who am I say otherwise. I just think they might want to reconsider. MJM

Amidst all the "noise", that is the only part that matters. They paid for a job to be done a certain way so that's what they ought to get. If you don't want to accept the job, someone else will. It doesn't matter how anyone else thinks it should (or should not) be done.
Ed

of saving money. Recycling od doors, reusing anything from the old house they can.
It doesn't make sense to pay MORE for cherry to stain it. As was pointed out by others, there are a lot of other woods that can be stained that cost far less. For somebody who is supposedly economizing, she screwed up big time on the cherry cabinets.

Again, it's *her* economy so it's *her* choice. Apparently the cherry didn't look like she wanted and she is the one who's got to live with it. To her it made sense. End of story.
On jobs I've had, I've tried to explain "false economy" and how doing such and such will save a few dollars. Sometimes the customer goes for it, sometimes not. I don't ever remember turning down a job because I thought the work was stupid. (ps: note I did not say I never thought a job was stupid)
Ed

As the old saying goes, "He who pays the band, calls the tune."
Lew

AKA The Golden Rule.
"Lew Hodgett" wrote

Or, as any musician will attest: "If you wanted rock n' roll, what the hell did you hire a string quartet for?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Swingman wrote:

That's the second question, behind, "Where's catering?"
--

-MIKE-