THIS NG IS RUINED. HERE'S AN ALTERNATIVE

Page 3 of 4

*snip*

*snip*
I hereby propose the creation of the newsgroup rec.woodworking.politics j/k :-)
Puckdropper

Oh, for fuck sakes, Puck. I try to be as helpful as I can when the questions are relevant. Other than that, I have a little fun now and again. Shoot me already. More and more do I find that a sense of humour around here is as hard to find as a grounding wire for a dust collector.....wait....

Uh oh... no hook needed there.
You obviously missed the smiley on Puck's post.
He was yankin' your chain.
Robert

Actually, I also missed MY smiley... here's the fix:
Oh, for fuck sakes, Puck. I try to be as helpful as I can when the questions are relevant. Other than that, I have a little fun now and again. Shoot me already. :-)
Puckdropper wrote:

I'll see your "split the newsgroup" post and raise you a "metric sucks" post. ;-)

hum...... what to do what to do, stay here and get a workout, you know laugh your ab's off, or go elsewhere, where you have to put on a tux just to get in? hum.... what to do what to do. think I'll go have ein berliner and figure. ross

The only time I ever appreciated metric was when Benson and Hedges put out the "Silly Millimeter" ad.
P D Q

rec.woodworking.chinacrap

How about a petition opposing the Treasury Department's \ planned metrification of US currency?
Or the ever popular petition to end woman's suffrage?
--
FF

"Did you see Norm stain that cherry?"
Now, that's a good one!

I love this part Robert. It's always been one of my favorites when the BORG rants start up. About the only place you really find those kids with the zits at the HD or Lowes, is in the parking lot, loading cars or pushing carts. The guys on the floor are typically middle aged and generally somewhat knowledgeable. You're actually more likely to find those zits on the floor at the local mom and pop that is so favored by the guys who just seem to hate the BORGs.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Couldn't agree more.
It seems the mom and pop stores employ their kids and other relatives as well as their employee's kids and relatives. We have a couple of the old M&P stores left here, and it is like going to a remote village in the mountains of Arkansas when you shop there.
As for the borgs and their ilk...
One day when I was in a particularly foul mood, I was listening to the guys at the lumber yard complaining about the quality of the newest round of grunt/loader/stacker/merchandise stocker staff. As the do here on the ng, those rants grow a pair of legs and off they go. After giving the staff of the lumberyard a good trashing, they moved on to Lowe's, then to HD.
All I wanted was my roofing supplies. The boys at the yard had to get he right guy to change the tank on the forklift as it ran out of propane, and we were stuck. I had to listen to way more of this than I was wanting to, as waiting for material makes me really jittery, and with my Indians out on the job smoking cigarettes and drinking coffee on my dollar, it doesn't help the disposition.
So after they trashed "that zit faced monkey in the blue vest" AGAIN, I for the 50th time that morning, I felt it was my moral imperative to say something the loudest mouth.
"Hey Dick... (his REAL name - how they knew at birth, I don't know..) where does your boy work again?"
"Well, uhh... right now he's in school. He's on the baseball team."
"Ohhhhhh...... so he doesn't work?"
"Not right now, he's in school."
"Not at all?"
Some uncomfortable shifting... "No."
"No kiddin'. Well, that must be nice. I had to work all the way through high school. Sometimes two jobs along with my lawn business. What does he do when he's not at school?"
"He has baseball practice, but that's about it."
"Is that MIP thing (minor in possession) thing keeping him from working?"
"No GD it , Robert, his Mother doesn't want him to have to work."
"WHAT? His MOTHER (that's your wife, right?) doesn't want him to work? So what does he do for his drinking money?"
This caused a LOT of snickers since we all heard about the MIP for a long time. """ It wasn't his fault of course """"
"Well," I observed, "I can't believe you can't get Caroline to understand that there are a lot worse things that you could teach a kid than the responsibility of having a job. Is that why you make fun of those kids in vests? I respect the fact that they are making some effort, even if it is to just to get there after school on time to work. Maybe give up their Saturdays. OK, and some Sundays, too. And I understand working at HD as a part timer you pretty much get every shit job the full time guys don't want, so that couldn't be fun. Does you wife think Sean would get hurt or something?"
You have to know that Dick is steaming red now.
I laughed. "Well, Sean probably wouldn't fit in over there anyway by your description. He's probably past that hormonal stage now, right? Thinking about it, I guess it was last summer when we were admiring that fog lamp on his forehead... I remember we both felt a little sorry for him since he was so self conscious... bet your glad he's through that!"
Strangely, Dick didn't talk to me for about six weeks. Even stranger still, NO ONE uses the zit description around me anymore.
The help at the big box stores may have all manner of descriptions I do agree with, but "zit face kid" isn't part of the vernacular.
Robert

I hate browser based groups...
Spam comes and goes.. Folks that like the group and/or people in this group wait it out and sort of lay low during floods..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
snipped-for-privacy@splintersdavisbaja.com wrote:

???
Usenet is Usenet. It has nothing to do with browsers.
--
Regards,
On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 00:57:16 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Not all groups ARE Usenet, through...
Most are called "forums".. code for "you have to use your browser", as opposed to Usenet, where you use a newsreader like Agent..
I just don't have the patience to keep repainting browser screens to see what the replies and stuff are..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Newsgroups by definition are propagated with NNTP (Net News Transmission Protocol, I think).
Browsers use HTTP (Hypertext Transmission Protocol, I think).
HTTP is much more versatile, and so can be used to gate browser traffic to/from newsgroups, and/or emulate the function of newsgroups, independently of NNTP, albeit with a lot more overhead, as NNTP is ASCII-only.
--
FF

small nit:
browsers use multiple protocols. Some use NNTP, FTP, etc. also NNTP (Network News Transfer Protocol) HTTP (Hypertext Transfer Protocol)
FoggyTown wrote:

It seems to me that *you* are the spammer here.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
On Apr 7, 12:06am, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote:

Too much coffee, Schnurdo.
Forums are just as likely to suffer from SPAM and have lots of security holes in them. It's quite easy to impersonate people and stuff viruses into the messages. The code is also susceptible to SQL Injection attacks and URL hijacking. On top of that, there are numerous bots available to do things like farming e-mail addresses. All the forum software has to do is store an e-mail address somewhere and it can be stolen. Finally, there are bots that will grab username / password combinations from forums and hijack all of your accounts. For example, they'll try to hit paypal, e-bay, hotmail, gmail, yahoo and every bank where they can automate an attack. This is one of the huge drawbacks to using a popular forum package. Once an attack is known it can be exploited on thousands of different forums. Usenet has been around for a long time for a reason. Just filter and move on....
For the curious, DAGS on:
forum exploit forum sql injection forum vulnerability