THIS NG IS RUINED. HERE'S AN ALTERNATIVE

Page 1 of 4
I no longer come here much. I leave the spammers to convert (or sell to) each other. I have found www.woodworking.org as a much better site. The users are universally friendly. There are no spammers. No flamers. The degree of knowledge and information is wonderful. Try it.
FoggyTown

Spam and flames are part of Usenet. I try to filter the spam and ignore the flames. (Some flames are quite entertaining, though.)
Using the free Google Groups doesn't get you much... You could actually pay for NNTP access and get the ability to use effective filtering... or move on to your website and quit complaining. As for me, I'm staying and filtering.
Puckdropper

I encourage people to fight back by displaying the headers and sending complaints to abuse@ the domain name of the injection point of the abusive article. Ironically, Google makes it very easy to send complaints to Google, where it would seem they are being ignored for the present.
There was a massive spam assault on Usenet several years ago and it was successfully beaten back, though it took threats of the Usenet Death Penalty (UDP) to do it. The UDP may have to be revived to get the attention of Google
Don't let the spammers win.
--
FF

Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

A number of newsgroups with a lot of activity have seen lots of spam for about a month or more. Ones I know about are sci.math, sci.crypt and sci.electronic.design (I think). One person in sci.math has automated the process of reporting sci.math Usenet abuse messages originating from Google to Google. That way his program has sent hundreds of reports to Google.
The newsgroup < news.admin.net-abuse.usenet > (or NANAU) is a good place to discuss on-going Usenet abuse problems. It's not moderated. In the last week or so, there's been discussion with spam from Google Groups users. Some are starting to think about the possibility of a UDP against Google.
I've added news.admin.net-abuse.usenet, so this message will probably be cross-posted to rec.woodworking and NANAU.
David Bernier

I come here, because some people I respect come here. I come here because I have a laugh sometimes. I come here to say that Hillary is pondscum. All other serious wood-working questions go to woodweb.com
Watches? What watches? Shoes? What shoes? etc etc etc

I come here to say that Hillary is pondscum. r
Would it be safe to say that you wouldn't vote for Hillary even if you could?
Max

It's a safe bet that he's missing the point to dividing usenet up into separate newsgroups.
--
FF

One thing I do not do...and that is to miss much. I play the UseNet thing like a fiddle. I know where I am, what I do, and who sees what it is I say.
Not difficult.

One thing I do not do...and that is to miss much. I play the UseNet thing like a fiddle. I know where I am, what I do, and who sees what it is I say.
Not difficult.
I saw what you said and you didn't know it until I confessed.
Max

I have to admit, you seem to find an endless amount of fully committed guppies that you hook with your political statements. Personally, I get a snicker out of some of them as I am not really just how feel about what you post in a rather ambiguous style, or if you just like stirring things up a bit. Sadly, political stuff far outweighs responses to woodworking here, so it is a fertile field to plow.
I remember the days, though when one could simply post:
"I really like Home Depot"
"Did you see Norm stain that cherry?"
"Anybody catch what Scott Phillips said about XXX?
"Younger guys are sure stoopid and lazy, not like MY generation" (and as a sidebar, why all the obsession with boys with zits with the guys here? That is almost always attached to the Home Depot comment - your kids never had zits? You never had zits? What does skin rash measure? Didn't your mothers teach you better than that?)
There are some in recent memory.
But now, all one has to do is post " I like this guy because XXX, or I hate this guy because XXX" and it will get the most detailed responses imaginable.
Laws are quoted, sources notated, empirical conclusions (by the author of course) are cited, historical contexts are put forth, and on an on. Mostly they are "I am right and screw you", thinly veiled. Not one mind is ever changed.
Hey, but it is what it is.
I have said this a dozen times, and for old Fog it might just be the ticket. When you want something out of this group, don't participate, don't drop by to let everyone know how much you think it sucks, don't share your insights on what is wrong. Pretty sure everyone here has noticed what you have.
Just search the archives for your answers. Bet they are there already.
Me? I'm checking the time on my $175 Audemars Piaget, and its time to put on my $30 Nikes and go to the baseball game!
Robert

I find it hard to see the keyboard... *wipes tears of laughter*.
Guilty. * thrusts hands out willing to accept handcuffs*
Geez, Robert... must woodworking be a curse? I know you find chuckles in commentaries here. Not just mine, but Swing dangles a few guppies as well. Oh, sure, he hides behind his wisdom and goatee, but seldom a day goes by where SOMEbody tickles the senses of other wreckers. The political thing is a by-product of daily convos.
We all hang out here working towards a better tomorrow. Be it a finer woodworking product or a better understanding of life in general, but we slug on ...forward.
I'm not going to apologise for having an active interest in politics, here in Canuckistan or your side of the abyss. I have mentioned many times before that the bulk of my family and friends are US based. Yes, I'm critical of those who fuck with other people's freedoms. Shouldn't I be?
But you are right in one respect, Robert. I do tend to drift away from woodworking sometimes. That is because life is what happens while we make other plans. (Lennon)
I am hoping that one day, I will be able to host many who attend here, at my home, for a weekend, or more, for BBQ and laughs. I have lots of rooms to accommodate many. We even have a landing strip for those who need it. Seriously. You don't build communities like this and disregard them. I consider it a blessing.

Yup. I love it.

My dear friend Mickey Newbury, who has since passed on, had a real Patek Philippe. He was some proud of that. Kenny Rogers bought that for him as a thank you for writing "Just Dropped In To See What Condition My Condition Was In". Last thing Mickey worked on was trying to work a phrase into a song that included the lyrics " busting rocks for getting stoned"
but I digress.

"Robatoy" wrote

" ... Growing up came quietly In the arms of Mabel Joy ..."
... Jezzzuss, that brings back memories!
(Hell being a shell, with much of the juice left behind ... )
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

One word: Trilogy.
Robatoy wrote:

Not sure how we'd all get by without your philosophical guidance.

I hold betwixt my fore-finger and thumb. A grain of salt.
Robatoy wrote:

We believe: http://www.celticseasalt.com/Newsletter_W6.cfm

I don't mind the OT stuff at all. Seriously, woodworking can't be your entire life. Several of here do this full time, so by the time we get done with the day, a little humor is a good thing. OT is a good thing.
The good thing about this group IS its diversity, and the diversity of the interests.
But as for politics, I am one of the tired, worn out folks on this subject. American politics, its participants, its fans, its practitioners, etc., all seem to have this mantra: I am right, so screw you.
I hate to see that here, as the primary focus is supposed to be woodworking. Yet, doing a google search on the group will reveal that the more politically inclined the subject is, the more responses it gets. And the more hateful it gets, the longer the thread gets.
And through it all, (and I have voiced my opinion on this many times) it seems incredible to me that so many believe the words that come out of their candidate's mouth. Or they believe the party line. Absolutely stupefying to me. How anyone of any age with any experience can believe any politician to the point of expressing foul language and hate at people they previously got along with is beyond me.
To what end?
In my mind, I always see the most vitriolic of the group the same way. Unhappy in general with life, and no outlet where people will listen to their point of view, which by the way, is the correct point of view. It is easiest to spew their frustrations about he world here than it is to actually do something to change it. They can air their views, slap down someone that needs it, and then go have dinner and watch TV.
Neat and simple.

I hope so, for whatever reason it might be.

Odd, too isn't it? As Americans we are taught to NOT criticize the other countries. Hey, we may invade your ass, but we probably won't be too critical. For example, how many times have you heard anyone here be really critical of Canada here? Maybe a handful of posts, but certainly not a 300 response thread.
And yet, look at Canada's ecology stance, specifically their mining procedures and practices which are world class reaching and just as nasty. How many indigenous peoples have been displaced or their cultures destroyed by the worldwide efforts of Canadian mining?
It is well documented, but not a word here. And nothing about the growing French/English nationality divisions and their problems in the Canadian society. I don't know... could Quebec actually secede?
And the rape of the softwood forests? Greedy Canadian investment consortiums sold CA whitewood as quickly as it could be cut down for decades to feed the voracious appetite of the US (for one) building boom. Yet now, catching their breath, they try to deflect the blame on to the USA, but saying they wouldn't have done it if the demand hadn't been there.
Mexico by the way, uses the same argument with their cocaine production. Their past president (Fox) put it this way: " It is illegal here to make make and sell drugs, but with so much demand, we can't control it. The demand come from the United States, so it is really their fault. They create the market. And if there is no market, there are no drugs. So the United States should take steps to dissolve the market, and that in turn will dissolve our drug manufacturing". A classic nine years old's logic. It isn't my fault.
It doesn't matter what country you fill in the blanks with. CA is no better or no worse than any other, I just picked that country because you are there.
When you read the postings here, it is sad. There are those that defend America, but not praise it. We do a lot of things wrong. We are a big country, so we make big mistakes. But we do a lot of things right, too. And as a big country, we do a lot of big things right. Little is said of those efforts, though. We are the country the world loves to hate.
But even IN America, we are now our own worst enemy. There is no spirit of "let's roll up our sleeves and get this thing back on track". We beat the shit out of ourselves all the time, an no one does it better. Although we get a lot of effort from others to help us in that endeavor, we really don't need more; we handle our own self flagellation quite well. Just watch our national news. Pick a channel.
Like I said before, all of it just makes me tired. I am not a Buddhist. I will not be back here for another chance. I am all worn out with everything that is wrong and I am working from the shit mongers.

We all do. See above.

That would be fun!

There are a lot that have left this group, and for some I am sorry for their departure. And it is about time for a couple to have their annual farewell tour, and like Streisand, we will see them back.
It is a public group, it is a public community, and you have to take it warts and all. I much prefer this open air venue than that of the constrained, moderated forums. Sometimes those are too "sunshine and lollipops" for me. I believe too, that the folks that get along here would most likely get along if they met in person.
I actually don't let the spam ruin my day. I realized a LONG time ago that my filters were in place to do what they need to do as they have been doing for most of my life. I use my sensors (eyes) to relay information in mere milliseconds to my processor (brain) and it seems to make those decisions on its own. If the processors tell the sensors there is no interest, then the sensors automatically move on. It is pretty cool, really, and it seem to work well on its own with nothing to install.
I tried to get a patent on it, but apparently it fell under a "general domain clause" since it has been (unbeknown to some here) around for several million years.
Sometimes the old technologies are the best, even today.
Robert

Do you have a parking spot for an RV? <G>
Max

Yup. Many.

Yup. Many.
We'll be in Michigan this summer. Holiday shores at Durand for 2 weeks.(sister) Frankenmuth area for a week. (nieces and nephew) Then Port Huron, Sarnia, (cousins) London, along the Northern side of Lake Ontario to I-81 in New York and down to the Finger Lakes area. South to Scranton , PA area. Further South to Gaithersburg, MD (daughter), Patuxent Naval Air Research Center, MD (daughter, grandkids) Then West to Nashville, TN. (son) Kansas City area, (daughter, grandkids) Then back to the great Southwest.
Max (in El Paso)