This is so cool! A 'safety' table saw that detects your finger.

The Upscale entity posted thusly:

Are you under the misapprehension that 'Canuck' is an insult. I know he meant it as such, but it's about as insulting to a Canadian as 'American' is to him.

Reply to
Oleg Lego

No, I'm not under that apprehension. I took the "can't think straight" comment in conjunction with a being a Canadian as the insult. The word Canuck by itself gives me no insult at all.

How do you know that being called a Canuck is not as insulting? Have you lived in Canada? Considering that the spamslam.com you're using is located in Texas, I'd have to assume that you're not a Canadian. (I was going to say you're an American, but you've just informed me that it might be taken as an insult). Of course, now you're going to have to enlighten me as to why being called in American might be insulting. The only way I can envision that is if it's used in the context of an insulting sentence.

Reply to
Upscale

You might want to try again here. Sawstop wanted to mandate that THEIR=20 technology would be in all saws. There is no single company that makes=20 seatbelts or motorcycles helmets, etc, that mandates their product be=20 used. Seatbelts and helmets were around a long time before they were=20 forced on consumers, and helmets still aren't universally forced on=20 motorcycle riders.

--=20 Odinn RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshiped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ...

'03 FLHTI ...........
'97 VN1500D .........
Biker Net ...
Riders Assoc .
snipped-for-privacy@ngynagnovxre.arg to reply

Reply to
Odinn

Believe it or not, in at least one part of America when I was a kid, it was, in the sense that you were an outsider ... and may still be.

Reply to
Swingman

It's also a verb.

mandate (mæn'deIt), v. [f. L. manda¯t-, ppl. stem of manda¯re to enjoin, command.]

1 trans. To command. Obs. rare-0.

2 To commit (one's sermon) to memory. Sc.

3 To assign (territory) under a mandate of the League of Nations. Cf. mandate sb. 4 b. So man'dated ppl. a.

4 To give a mandate to, to delegate authority to (a representative, group, organization, etc.). Freq. as man'dated ppl. a., permitted to act on behalf of a group, etc., approved by means of a mandate.

Reply to
Doug Payne

The saw is a very interesting concept and I would consider it amongst others if I were in the market for a new saw. Thank you for bringing it up. Good for the company trying to increase there market share. Good for the government not mandating the use. Being a new number of this group I cant say that I am impressed. For the original author of this tread to be blamed because the topic had allready been discussed is poor at best. Do I need to research a topic before throwing it out to this group to see if it had been talked about last year? Swearing, name calling, and politics etc need to be eliminated somehow. The woodturning group and others that I've seen dont have this stuff going on. Is it because there list Mom throws them off? Maybe. Is there a woodworking group that talks woodworking without trying to one up each other? Please tell me so I can switch groups. Granted that its a small amount of imature people that I question, but to have a higher level of discussion the garbage needs to go. Is there a way to set rules and abide by them? Happy woodworking to all.

Reply to
henry

The Upscale entity posted thusly:

I've lived in Canada for a little while. As of tomorrow, it'll be about 62 years. I think I am well qualified to judge the insult content of 'Canuck'.

I didn't know there was a 'spamslam', or I would not have used it in my address. I'll change it.

No, I did not inform you that American might be taken as an insult. I said that 'Canuck' is as insulting to me as 'American' is insulting to you. I did make the assumption that 'American' is not insulting to you at all.

Well, that words, isn't it? You can use any word in a deprecating manner. That's why we keep having to change what we call people to keep ahead of the PC (no, not Porter Cable) Police.

Larry

Reply to
Oleg Lego

The Doug Payne entity posted thusly:

And of course, this being Usenet, one might also point out that any noun can be verbed, and any verb can be nouned.

Forte Agent complained about 'verbed', I'm adding it to it's dictionary'. :-)

Reply to
Oleg Lego

Are Texans considered Americans by the rest of the country or are they just Texans? :~)

Reply to
Leon

I think that's "verbized" and nounized", isn't it? :-)

Reply to
Doug Payne

You could always start a moderated group...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

henry wrote:

Reply to
nailshooter41

Including you...

Some of us actually post under our real names, BTW.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I daresay it more like ony about 10% think it is NOT a great idea.

The personal reasons why we haven't all bought one include price, objections to the 'marketing method' described elswhere in this thread, and concern about false positives, e.g. tripping when not necessary. If it were cheap, works as advertized (which it may) and was available from a variety of vendors there would be no rational objections ot it, so only the irrational would object to having one.

The 10% who do NOT think it is a good idea are probably the same guys who think fuses and circuit breakers are a bad idea and probably save old bronze pennies to use in theirs.

Reply to
fredfighter

Actually, it was in Louisiana ... back in the swamps, if you didn't look like you belonged, or speak French, you were "American", not Acadian. Many times, when I was out fishing or hunting and came up on one of those tar paper shacks, I heard the occupants say, in French, "Here comes an American".

Reply to
Swingman

Sounds like some places in Quebec; just substitute Canadian for American :-)

Reply to
Doug Payne

I'm afraid you can forget about getting rid of the garbage. I've been mostly lurking here for several years, and in spite of the garbage, there are some really helpful and knowledgeable people here. This is a pretty good place, you just have to learn to watch where you step.

PDX David

Reply to
Jane & David

Oh, gee, no, nobody has ever discussed that machine here before

:-)

Reply to
Larry Bud

| In article , | "Upscale" wrote: | || Of course, now you're going to have to enlighten me as to why being || called in American might be insulting. The only way I can envision || that is if it's used in the context of an insulting sentence. | | Can I have some examples, please?

Insults, like compliments, are largely a matter of receiving 'em that way.

One of my bright memories - sorry if I'm repeating an already told story - was being asked in Paris if I was Canadian. I took it as a compliment - and was proud to identify myself as an American.

The response was a happy smile that I chalk up to relief that such terrible French wasn't coming from a Quebecois. :-)

Morris Dovey

Sounds like any standard barnyard. Who says life has changed?

Reply to
Upscale