This is so cool! A 'safety' table saw that detects your finger.

Page 2 of 10

I am no fan of sawstop because I am unconvinced of its ability to provide adequate protection. I am also not a fan of them lobbying government for increased regulation. However, you should be careful of accusing an entity of being corrupt. What exactly have they done that is corrupt / illegal? Nothing to my knowledge.
Frank Ketchum wrote:

Morally corrupt a.k.a. unetical.
Trying to use the government to force your failed product onto consumers is about as morally corrupt and unethical as they get. They certainly aren't the first to attempt this of course.
Pete C.
Pete C. wrote:

I don't know about that. However, people have too much babying today. If you stick your finger on the blade, you deserved to loose it. Take your medecine like a man.

Sounds a lot like the insurance industry to me. They will have to grease a lot of pockets to make that happen. Especially not that their cards are on the table.

Yea. And what a bonehead move. Patents only last so long...Anyway I saw this years back and thought it was pretty cool. The guy deserves some money for his invention, but none for any 'extortion' he may try in the future :P
--
Thank you,

Umm This has been discussed time and time again in the last 3 or so years.
The general consensus is that most every one here would rather not buy the saw for personal reasons. About 10% here think it is a great idea also. It sells for about the same price of a Powermatic cabinet saw, so pricing is competitive considering all the features. Actual owners seem to be quite pleased with the saw although on occasion there have some misfires that were later corrected.
"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" <"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"> wrote in message

That's a fairly inaccurate description as far as I'm concerned.
I recall the discussions well. After the long period of "is this vaporware or not?" the primary objection was to Sawstop lobbying to make their technology mandatory in the USA.
I think the tech is superb. As an option.
--
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
- Mark Twain.

No, I believe the people did not like the saw because they were speptical as to whether it would work correctly, then they were skeptical because the company wanted the government to mandate the safety device on other saws, then there was the discussion of vaporware which made no since because the saw was being sold and was in production at the time of the conversation.

So the tech would not be as good if it was mandated?

"Mandated" is not a word.
Mandate is a noun. Nouns do not have tenses.
What are you trying to say?
--
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
- Mark Twain.

Wrong! It can also be a transitive verb. The below was taken from dictionary.com. Number 2 applys here.
tr.v. mandated, mandating, mandates 1.. To assign (a colony or territory) to a specified nation under a mandate. 2.. To make mandatory, as by law; decree or require: mandated desegregation of public schools. Stick to making jigs.

That's happened in the last 20 years then. I suppose one day "unique" will no longer be an absolute.

Fuck you, too.
And for you, I make an exception to my "don't announce the plonks" rule and announce... Plonk.
--
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
- Mark Twain.
stoutman

Gee Dave I seldom resort to cursing because I generally know how to put into work what I want to say. Goodbye.

I assume you meant words rather than work... I generally only say what I want to say, too. In this case I sincerely meant to say "Fuck you, too".
I don't mind cursing if I REALLY mean it. Mostly, the people I want to flip off aren't worth a curse, but you, Leon... You get the special treatment.
Be proud.
--
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
- Mark Twain.

Now you have gone and done it. Dave has Plonked you. I wish he would plonk me.

Not a big loss.

That's easy. Just ask him how to make a jig to convert a jointer into a bandsaw or a table saw into a drill press or (insert ridiculous jig here)
--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com

Now, now, lets not bring country insults into it. Especially, considering that you guys down south of us have that dead soldier nut living in your country. Any insults you may throw at us Canadians are dwarfed by some of the miscreants you allow to live in the US.
wrote in message

LOL...

Your right! Sorry. It was thrown in the heat of the moment. My apologies to all my Canadian buddies! :)

Now thats below the belt. :)

The Upscale entity posted thusly:

Are you under the misapprehension that 'Canuck' is an insult. I know he meant it as such, but it's about as insulting to a Canadian as 'American' is to him.

No, I'm not under that apprehension. I took the "can't think straight" comment in conjunction with a being a Canadian as the insult. The word Canuck by itself gives me no insult at all.

How do you know that being called a Canuck is not as insulting? Have you lived in Canada? Considering that the spamslam.com you're using is located in Texas, I'd have to assume that you're not a Canadian. (I was going to say you're an American, but you've just informed me that it might be taken as an insult). Of course, now you're going to have to enlighten me as to why being called in American might be insulting. The only way I can envision that is if it's used in the context of an insulting sentence.
"Upscale" wrote in message

being
Believe it or not, in at least one part of America when I was a kid, it was, in the sense that you were an outsider ... and may still be.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Are Texans considered Americans by the rest of the country or are they just Texans? :~)