This Group went to hell

Global warming, another soldier killed in Iraq, reasons for not drinking, etc, etc??? I had to check and see if I was in Rec. Woodworking. You people who post this crap (stuff not related to woodworking, as this is supposed to be a woodworking group, not a soap box) should buy some tools and chill out.

Reply to
sailor

"sailor" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@30g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

Wood working is a solitary often lonely occupation for most people. Most of the people who do it are more intelligent then average and often very sociable people who are forced to isolate them selves from others by the nature of their craft and the lack of understanding of those who do not do wood work. This group offers several things that these people need, An outlet to brag about ones work, an outlet to discuss problems that occur and get advice form others who have experience in that area, an outlet to discuss the wonders that occur while involved in the work, and a chance to share ideas and feelings. Normal people do not care about most of these things but here you have others who are interested. Here you have a chance to discuss OT subjects that are of general interest with people who have a common interest with you, often subjects that most people not willing to discuss. You have stress relieving posts like those put out by BGKM who you can use to see just how much you can upset him with out having to worry about really getting anyone except him upset. You have stress relieving posts such as 10 reasons not to drink, which has no value except it offered a moments relief and a laugh. You can pick and chose what you want to do and who you want to hear from and discuss things with. I feel that this is a well balanced site which offers a lot of support other then just information on wood working. just my opinion.

Reply to
sweet sawdust

"Swingman" wrote these words

For shuurrrrre.........,

I had a brain fart recently and had fallen into the bad habit of not using my browser's filtering capabilities. Somebody mentioned somethng recently here about that. I went into the filter settings and added the words "bush" and "islam" to the subject line filters.

The signal to noise ratio improved remarkably from that simple little change in my filters. The net is a wild, untamed place. Expecting everybody to play nice is unrealistic.

And just for the record, the wreck is one of the nicest, most informative newsgroups there is. If you have problems with this place, other newsgroups would probably prove fatal to the meek and sensitive.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

On Mar 12, 10:21 am, "sweet sawdust" wrote: You can pick and chose what you want to do

I think friends can talk about anything.

*group HUG*

Woodworking is what brought us here and keeps us coming back. But we need shit to talk about while the glue dries and we don't want to appear obsessional about woodworking either, hence the scent of normal bonding and social interaction. I, for one, can't believe I just wrote this crap, but, hey, it's The Wreck.

*group HUG* r
Reply to
Robatoy

Just learn to use your "next" key, your news client's filter, or a program like News Proxy ... it will lower your blood pressure, guaranteed. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

Not bad ... next time however, please advise of your deodorant type, frequency of application, and, if passed college age, whether used in lieu of bath/shower.

:)

Reply to
Swingman

Didn't he just say something about a soap box? Well, isn't that what he just did? Or am I cornfused! I don't particularly like ALL of the conversations that go on here but being a big boy I can just navigate my way through what I don't wish to read and skip to those parts that I do.

Searcher

Reply to
Shopdog

Take a pill and ride it out. Theres folks come and go and few have any interest in woodworking. Their whole life is spamming.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

I hope you won't be offended if I don't participate.

Reply to
CW

I can't say I am surprised.

Reply to
Robatoy

I can't say that I am surprised.

Reply to
Robatoy

I've been on this group for more than 10 years and it has ALWAYS been like this. You just have to take the good with the bad and move on.

Reply to
Bob Schmall

Reply to
nospambob

LOL Those lederhosen don't vent well, but when they do.... Bratwurst, beer, smoke, garlic, wet wool, ohhh yesss.

Ever been to a Royal Canadian Legion hall in Northern Quebec's mining district in dead of winter? Add the smell of Gauloises and blood and vomit. No wonder the locals show up hammered on Friday night; they couldn't stand it sober. The only place where, a participant in a fight, would take a break to stagger up to the bar, chug a mug and re-join the festivities. Nuts.

Band instruments were not allowed, certainly no cast-iron micrphone stands lest people's faces would be turned into coins.

Reply to
Robatoy

I've mentioned this before, but a 70's German dance hall/night club, in the dead of winter, was an experience for your nose to forget.

Reply to
Swingman

Thanx. I needed that. (Sort of.)

You can be certain that if a few woodworkers were in the same shop each working on their own project, the idle chit chat bouncing back and forth wouldn't be about woodworking. Except for the odd "Who the hell took my 1/2" chisel?"

FoggyTown

Reply to
FoggyTown

!960s Subways during rush hour in London and Paris (Tube & Metro). You had to pinch yourself to see if you'd passed out yet. A warm summer was the worst.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Yep ... Lived in greater London (Staines and Hounslow)for a couple of years in the mid-sixties and played hell getting enough hot water to shave with daily, much less take a bath once a week, never mind every day as we 'Yanks' were used to.

The old biddy I rented my flat from watched that tiny 2 gallon water heater, on the wall in the downstairs hallway, like a hawk.

There was hell to pay if she saw that light on more than once a week.

Reply to
Swingman

Ah, when I was a kiddie we had the shilling gas meter in the flat. Somebody was always getting sent out for shillings.

From 62 to 65 I was stationed just outside Swindon and got to choose when I suffered the tube.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Peter Cook and Dudley Moore and the BBC TV show "Not Only, But Also"?

Reply to
Swingman