This could work...

Page 1 of 3
Last week, the second of two dining tables was picked up by an friend. I made these things at his and his wife's insistence and thought I was doing it as a favor as I have never been paid for my hobbyist wooddorking.
Last night at a party at their house, the lady tucks an M-note in my shirt pocket and goes on and on about how pleased she is with her new tables.
I did the "aw, shucks - 'twern't 'nuttin" routine, but now I have an idea of what others think of my work - and I can afford a decent tablesaw and planer :-) Not only that, but some of the other folks were questioning me about "do ya think you could make a burfl for us?"
-Doug
--
"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul." - George Bernard Shaw

Is that the same as a "G"?
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 15:25:55 +0100, LRod wrote:

100% equivalency :-)
-Doug
--
"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul." - George Bernard Shaw

Also equivalent to two D's
Note: those steel-engraved portraits of Grover Cleveland are _hard_ to come by.
On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 15:25:55 +0100, LRod

No, the "G" is a string, Rod.
GigoloMan got a thousand dollars from the lady. Though he says it was for wooddorking, the ex- Heidi Fleiss team has been mobilized.
----------------------------------------------- I'll apologize for offending someone...right after they apologize for being easily offended. ----------------------------------------------- http://www.diversify.com Inoffensive Web Design
Dear Doug,

Being a dumb Canuck, can you please tell me what an "M-note" is?
Tainjewberrymush,
David.
On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 15:11:25 +0000, David F. Eisan wrote:

It's one of those Roman Numeral things - one more zero than a C-note.
-Doug
--
"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul." - George Bernard Shaw

Ahh, me dumb canuck too. Now it begins to make sense...was thinking, if an M-note is less then a C-note then seems like a very bad deal to me, cause really it would take more then a few C-notes to make me think that I got "paid" (vrs a token of thanks from a friend). Never made the roman numeral connection.
I thought such notes were being taken out of circulation as they were just the tools of drug dealers and terrorists? Well according to the government, anyway....real story is they want more trackable transactions to keep ppl from skipping out on taxes... :)
A Canuck
She had an actual M- note or was that a check.... I cannot recall having seen one in circulation. I am sure that even at the price that you were paid, she recognized a bargain.
On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 15:49:50 +0000, Leon wrote:

A check, of course.
-Doug
--
"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul." - George Bernard Shaw
Aww..... An m-note would have been a prize on top of the surprise. Any way, good going.

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 16:27:15 +0000, Leon wrote:

Thanks Leon. The biggest bill I recall having held in my hot little hands was a D-note, and that has been some time ago. The C-note has been the largest in circulation for quite a few years - I think.
--
"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul." - George Bernard Shaw

a $1,000,000 bill stuffed away in my desk drawer. Too bad it is one of those novelty bills! It looks and feels real. I carry it sometimes and try buy stuff with it. Allot of people look it over, and ask, "is it real?". Nobody ever has cash available to break it though! Greg

Howdy,
I am sure that is fun...
I am also sure that the Treasury Department would not be amused. You are messing with the potential for serious trouble with that sort of seemingly innocent joke. Those Treasury folks are not a fun group.
All the best,
--
Kenneth

Ther was a lady in our area that tried to buy something and pay with a phony $1,000,000. The clerk, of course, refused it. The lady persisted! She is sitting in jail at this time because of it! I take it out from time to time, and when I get a funny smile from the clerk, I take it back. Never pushed the issue! Greg

Howdy,
Perhaps you never pushed the issue from your perspective, but...
One store keeper who got up on the wrong side of the bed could put you in real trouble...
All the best,
--
Kenneth

I wonder if that is urban legend. I don't think the government ever printed a $1,000,000. bill. I wonder how they could charge counterfeiting on something that never existed.

It was in our local paper, apparently the woman is a bit of a nut! Greg

LOL.. Yeah...

The biggest 'general circulation' currency that the U.S. ever used was a $5,000 bill. There were some large 'notes' used *only* in inter-bank settlements -- $10,000 $50,000 and $100,000. The $100,000 one was a 'gold deposit' certificate, issued *only* to banks, and representing physical gold that they placed on deposit with the Fed. Reserve.

*VERY* EASILY. You have to recognize the difference between forgery and counterfeiting. If you _claim_ it is something that it isn't, *that* is what makes it counterfeit. If you create a 'copy' of something, and attempt to pass it off as an 'original', that is _forgery_.
When somebody cooks up "funny money" copies of actual currency, *and* attempts to 'pass' that paper, that is 'counterfeiting by forgery', in effect. _both_ actions are involved.
counterfeiting is the making of a 'false object'. forgery is the making of an object 'in the likeness of something else'.
The laws on the books forbid you from making what purports to be "official money" of the government. Doing so is the creation of a 'false object', *whether*or*not* it 'is in the likeness' of something the government _actually_ produces.
Note: there is *NOTHING* on the books that prevents you from printing your _own_ "money". All you have to do is convince others to _use_ it. It's nothing more than a transferable IOU.
Many years ago, _most_ of the big banks *did* issue their own 'money'. That is where the term "bank note" actually comes from. They were notes _issued_ by the bank, promising to deliver, 'on demand', the specified amount of the precious metal (or whatever else) that those notes were 'backed' by.