This Could Be Good News

See what you think - it is a start!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6401091 /
Philski
I hope VA send a strong message and deals with them harshly. Take 'em right up to the line that divides cruel and unusual punishment and acceptable punishment, then cross the line! --dave

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 15:50:26 -0700, philski

scam! Hmmm, cruel and unusual indeed - cruel to the victims.
TWS http://tomstudwell.com/allprojects.htm
10,000 x $40 = $400,000. Yes the fine should have been higher plus restitution. I'm all in favor of the nine year sentence, but he could have been out sooner if he had killed someone.
Our system is too lenient.
I'll be the first to suggest public caining.
-Rick
"Sbtypesetter" wrote in message

Caning hell ... I've got an e-mail server that spends 98% of its cycles/time/bandwidth dealing with a constant barrage of spam. If I ever catch a spammer in a dark alley, he won't be walking out.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/04/04

On one of my e-mail accounts, I'm getting ~200 spam e-mails a day, the ISP's filter catches most of it as junk, but a few still leak through. Getting to be close to 1 Meg a day with attachments, virii, html, and embedded graphics.
Can't think of anything that would be either cruel nor unusual as punishment for a spammer or telemarketer.
"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message ...

I get about the same amount but I can't be too sure, the auto forwarder sends most of them on to the OT POL posters.....

Yep, really stretches the imagination doesn't it. I can't think of anything I wouldn't mind being done to them. Nailing to a cross, whipping, tying naked to a post at midnight in a San Francisco bar area.
Hmm, nup, remove the buggers from the planet any way possible, I really don't care about them any more than they obviously care about the rest of us.
(I think spammers are starting to get to me)

I agree! Why is "cruel and unusual" cruel and unusual? Because we don't do it enough.

You know, that gets me thinking (it's that time of year again.) The line is always "cruel and unusual." So does that mean doing something cruel and mundane to the spammers would be OK?
GTO(John)
GTO69RA4 wrote:

Ya know, cruel and innovative, or vicious and impressive might be better ideas. The problem is that the law suggests that you can somehow fix the people who do these things. Caning assumes the same thing. To some degree "jes takes 'em out back" does as well, depending on what you're going to do with them out back. How about we go for tar and feathering, that's permanent, or pressing, that sort of thing doesn't allow repeat offenses. Barb wiring in the public square'll work too. YMMV.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
On 04 Nov 2004 03:03:45 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (GTO69RA4) wrote:

Just as long as it's not unusual, it's probably ok. :) As a further deviation from the original topic- why exactly is death by electrocution *not* considered cruel and unusual in capital punishment cases? I think, all things being equal, being shot or hanged seems like a better way to go!

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 02:22:09 GMT, "Jack Casuso"

Cruel?? no shit, asshole, you're in JAIL...
IMHO, if prison was a miserable, damp, cold place without tv, rec. room, "prisoners' union", free attorneys, etc., there might be a whole lot less repeat offenders..

It's been a while since I've heard any mention of it, and I'm not 100% sure about the particulars (corrections are welcomed) but there used to be a system of incarceration called "gaoling" (sp?) The basic principle, IIRC, was to give the criminal a shovel at dawn, make them dig a hole all day, then stick them in it at sundown, and place an iron grate over the top. Sounds like a good idea to me!
On 04 Nov 2004 01:38:29 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnojunk (Sbtypesetter) calmly ranted:

Right. Now that we've learned so much about the world from going to Iraq and bombing the crap out of them, let's use some of the methods they use in the Middle East. If people are caught stealing things, the first punishment is to chop off a hand. That's quick, cheap, and there is no jail to build or staff. Criminals learn a hard lesson VERY quickly. Spammers lie to and steal from us by using their hands, so it's a fitting punishment, don't you think?

Or caning, say, for 25,000 or fewer spams in a single job. Off comes a hand for more or "jes takes 'em out back" for multiple convictions, as in our Southern Justice.
-- Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. ---- --Unknown
Larry Jaques wrote:

joint at a time, rotating between fingers. maybe one joint a day intill they're all gone. And a modification to ADA to declare them non disabled. Joe

It's a good start and does send a message. But it will be difficult to stop spam origuinating from other countries .
dteckie wrote:

We could attack and take over the countries. Then we could bring them the wonders of democracy. %-)
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

Now if they just toss the snail junk mail senders in jail, who actually use up resources such as trees, ink, energy to produce their crap, fuel to deliver it, we'd actually have something.