This blade looks very useful

8" diameter, 1/4" kerf, flat top grind....

John Grossbohlin

tiredofspam

FWIW if you have an extra blade you can have Forrest put on a flat grind when resharpening.

Reply to
Leon

What makes it attractive to me is the fixed 1/4" width... a dimension that seems to come up regularly with it comes to frame and panel, tenons, box joints, etc. No "two cuts" and no setting up a dado blade that doesn't do end grain well and doesn't leave a truly flat bottom.... I'll leave it on my wish list in case someone needs to buy me a gift. ;~)

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

That wouldn't let you hog off 1/4" in one pass, however.

And FWIW Forrest will also sell you a box joint type pair just like the Freud, that will do a 1/4" kerf or a 3/8" kerf, with expected price markup over the Freud.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

Well in all actuality 1/4" is way too wide for frame and panel doors. You do not often find plywood that is actually 1/4" thick.

Reply to
Leon

I have a FWII blade and it is IMHO the best blade I have. I also have a Freud Diablo, that was in my Miter saw a NICE blade. I have a Ridge dado blade Nice...

I have a Crapsman rip blade ok..

I have a bunch of other blades not worth mentioning.

I think the Forrest is worth the money... it's not just a price markup. I believe the Forrest is T4 carbide.. harder and finer than others. And they excel at leaving a smooth cut.

But for a blade that might be used infrequently, I might be tempted to try the Freud, or for about the same price if I only did 1/4" box joints. I might try the Infinity.

I like what I saw > >

tiredofspam

True if you use plywood.... not so much if you make panels from solid wood where you have control over such things!

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin