This a good deal

x-no-archive:yes
Someone in my town has an aolder 6 inch Jet jointer for 300.00. He says the blades are sharp. That is about the amount I have to spend on one but wanted to know whay you guys thought since I am a newbie.

I bought a like new Delta for $200. Since then I have seen several other for about that price. Unless jointers are simply more expensive in your town...
Hey Stryped, This is not to deter you but I sold my old Jet jointer for $200. I was not happy with it as it tended to shake when I fed a board across it. I think it was because of the stand. I was able to minimize the instability by reinforcing the stand with 3/4 inch plywood braces. I can not rememebr its model number but I know that it was an older Jet (with adjustable out feed table) and they made improvements on the stand since I purchased mine. I'm not trying to sell you a Grizzly but you should compare their models- including shipping- with what you could buy used and then make a firm decision. http://www.grizzly.com/products/category.aspx?t=jointers
Marc stryped wrote:

Price seems a bit high, but price seems to depend on the area. I know if you advertised a 6" open stand Jet for $300 around here it would be gone! I would offer a bit less, maybe $250 and see what happens. Also you did not say which model, open or closed stand, price would depend on the model. Closed stand? Grab it quick!!
(Amazon.com product link shortened)56526583/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-7203882-1916058?ie=UTF8
surprising! On sale for $475!
(Amazon.com product link shortened)56526583/ref=pd_bbs_2/002-7203882-1916058?ie=UTF8
Greg

Well hard to say because there are a couple models IIRC. However, for $325 (plus shipping) you could get this brand new. http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0452
stryped wrote:

Hi Stryped. It all depends on what model it is. I paid about $600 new for a nice closed base Jet 6" jointer years ago.. If it's that model, $300 is a good price, IMO.
Look on ebay, go to advanced search, and search completed listings for the specific model. That will give you a good idea.
There's some value in buying it now, vs waiting more months, hoping to get a better deal. I don't often see used jointers for sale in my area, and I live in a fairly big metropolitan area.