thinning sharpening oil

petroleum based solvents.

It used to be called "pear drop", having that particular smell associated with it.

Esters are OK in very minute quantity. Handle larger amounts with care.

Incidentally, I have use ordinary xxWxx motor oil on ordinary blackboard slate to sharpen chisels and knives so that I wouldn't want to slip when handling them.

Reply to
Guess who

I visited an oil refinery in Bradford, PA, when I was about 7 years old on a field trip with my parents when they were in college. I remember the guide saying that Pennsylvania oil was paraffin based and Texas oil was asphalt based. I've remembered that all these years, and made my motor oil buying decisions based on it.

I'm glad to read your notes which confirm my memory (I've never bothered to look it up because my knowledge of organic chemistry is sparser than yours by an order of magnitude, so I doubt I'd understand the answer). So call me stupid.

In addition to Quaker State, there's Pennzoil and Wolf's Head (if they're still around), and I believe Castrol is a paraffin oil, as well. Valvoline might be, too.

Reply to
LRod

Thanks. I have an old opened bottle of brake fluid in the garage. Now there's a use for it.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

Just don't spill or drip it on painted surfaces.

Reply to
B A R R Y

It can be a pretty nasty paint remover. Don't spill on anything you care about.

Reply to
Doug Payne

wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Not bad. Aliphatic chains are mostly what we're talking about. The aromatics feature the benzene ring, and the lighter ones are difficult if not impossible to remove from various types of crude.

distillation and cracking are used to produce the most valuable fraction - gasoline. Crude oils contain more or less of the lighter fractions and certain other elements such as sulfur in the much-maligned sour "high sulfur oils." The oil industry benchmark "Brent crude", contains a greater percentage of small stuff than heavy crude, based on average molecular weight.
Though it's interesting to note the Pennsylvania propaganda, Texas crude is hardly asphalt, being lighter than North Sea Brent overall.
solvents tend to be light molecular weight, which is why they reduce the viscosity of the oil they mix with. Paraffin wax, as indicated, is primarily composed of 26-carbon chains, versus gasoline, which as we know favors 8 (octane), therefore it, and other waxes are of lower volatility - solid at room temperature - and may still contain other lower molecular weight oils. Isomers, including cycloparaffin exist, and are tolerated in some grades.
think we might refer to paraffin as "big oil?"

Reply to
George

Briefly. Since DOT 3 is glycol based, it's hygroscopic and you might end up using a water(ed) stone after all.

The DOT 5 stuff is silicone-based. More stable, but don't spill it on something you're going to paint.

Reply to
George

Jet A fuel is diesel. Clean and well filtered.

Dave

Teamcasa

Close enuff.

Barry

Reply to
B A R R Y

Better and better! Now there are two uses for that old bottle. ;)

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

HA! LOL, my sharpening station is in the house, and that odor spreads everywhere. It's far too strong for other peoples. Perfect consistency though ... ":-( sniff

Reply to
AAvK

Jeff (and why isn't it Geoff),

I spent a couple years in England, office in London, house in Tring, and still have fond memories of those trips to the 'iron monger' who wouldn't sell me that "you know that thing that you use for such and such" until I'd learned the proper name for it. He helped me develop a rudimentry command of the english language when it comes to what we call out here in the colonies a hardware store. During my stay a wise old Brit once said to me, "Giving the English language to the Americans is a bit like giving sex to little children in that they somehow realize that its terribly important but don't know quite what to do with it." I could only reply that if they'd have managed their colonies properly in the first place, they wouldn't have this problem.

Anyway, good to find your site.

Reply to
Max Mahanke

Right but is it thinner than Norton oil? Baby oil is real thin, is it like that?

Reply to
AAvK

Read the baby oil label. Mineral oil and fragrance. The stuff used as an intestinal lubricant will normally be labeled "heavy" mineral oil, and will give more float than cut.

Reply to
George

And some excellent reading from you, thank you kindly Mr. Gorman.

Reply to
AAvK

give more float than cut.

Yes but Bugs is talking about "mineral oil" as plain, which could be any thickness, and the same as Norton oil, not baby oil, which is the thinness needed. I want to know about any differences. Norton calls theirs a "light mineral oil" (I read that 'somewhere' online), but it has more 'float than cut', something as thin as baby oil would be great to find, especially without that nose burning parfum. LOL

Reply to
AAvK

Ethyl acetate. Have you tried it?

Reply to