Think these diamond stones are a good deal?

Page 2 of 2

Bottom posting is a lot easier on those that suffer from Alzheimer's. They can read the prior post again to remind themselves what the conversation was about.

$45CDN = $36US currently, considering two shipping payments it won't be cost effective (or barely) unless you have to have the 8"x3" size. To do that you might have to send someone quasi-cash via Paypal, then they do the bidding and recieving and forwarding for you. It would add up to about the same $ I think...
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

$15
cost
you might

recieving

8"x3" is much better than 6"x2"! And, it is merely twice as much. My nearest HF is 50 minutes drive from my residents.
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
I got a set from H/F on sale for 8 or 9 dollars and find that the 2 x 6" size are plenty large enough to use on anything I would want to sharpen. I have found that the finest grit size is way to coarse to sharpen anything other than maybe an ax. Dick

On Thu, 05 May 2005 04:43:23 GMT, the inscrutable "Dick"

Right, their finest is 320 grit, and that's a stretch from what I hear. I'd buy a set of HFs to flatten a whetstone or quickly grind a new shape on an iron. They're excellent for removing metal. But I'd save my DMT and EZLap plates for real sharpening.
--
"Excess regulation and government spending destroy jobs and increase
unemployment. Every regulator we fire results in the creation of over

2 x 6 isn't big enough for a card scraper. Gets cramped with a honing guide too. I thought the same thing about the grit numbers. That is three super coarse grits good only for removing nicks or changing a bevel angle.

Larry sez:

That's the exact common sense I am using. Utilitarian. Basic. The beginning metal work, and flattening stones. 3"x8" is NICE size.
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

I just got the stones ("plates" really), the 3"x8" size is quite awesome. blue0, yellow&0, red60 grits, can't rub off the grit with my fingers so far. These are by_no_means "precision" and the steel plates are inaccurately aligned onto the PVC bases by just a little. They are flat enough for the early "cruder" uses definitely, not that I am an expert on judging this, but they "seem" perfectly flat.
"BR Tools" on the card, "Made in China" on the back, no grit size markings on the plates. They seem like something that should be sold at HF perfectly. They are not worth the "BIN" price of $44.95, especially considering the shipping cost of $8.90, wait to bid at the end, everyone else does. I think they are entirely worth it.
Clint, you should email and ask if they will make an exception, tell them they are impossible to find in Canada, and that you really need them.
--

I found them as a website which has the exact same logo of "BR" as on the package, "Big Roc tools"... http://www.brtools.net /
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
Thanks for the update. I did e-mail the guy, and he said they won't ship to Canada. I've got a few relatives down there, however, that might be able to work something out for me.
Clint

be
opinions?
blue0,
These are

the PVC

definitely, not

on the

are not

of $8.90,

worth it.

they are

That's good, I hope you get the set. I found they are okay for use with steel, but don't flatten silicon carbide oil stones with them. I ruined my 180 grit doing it. The 260 grit is good for beginning a new flattening though, and these stones won't last a supremely long time either, while Norton explains their diamond plates will last a lifetime, which will be a far better investment.