Think these diamond stones are a good deal?

Page 1 of 2

I think the close-up shot makes them look pretty look, maybe they could be used for flattening and hogging off metal or initial sharpening, any opinions?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemC77140080
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

... yeah that's better ...
AAvK wrote:

They sure look a lot like the HF ones. The price is about 3X as much though.
Dave in Farfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

be
opinions?
on 5/4/2005 1:25 PM Clint said the following:

Think he means the HF are the cheaper of the two. They BIN price is $45. I bought a set of the Harbor Freight ones, Think I got them for well under $10 on sale. I'm thinking around $7 or $8 which is probably less than the shipping the eBay seller was asking. Mine work just fine.
I don't like a lot of what I see at Harbor Freight but they do have some great deals on items that you could almost consider "disposables."
Sales staff are pretty decent to deal with too. I was going to by some diamond cutoff blades for the Dremel tool and asked for a package of them at $9.99. Clerk opened the showcase for me to take gander and whispered "If you come in here next weekend, we'll have them on sale for $1.99 - more often than not they are on sale for that price. Wait if you can."
I did and bought what's probably a lifetime supply for way less than I'd have spent on the single pack<g>
Clint said the following:

Unquestionably Confused wrote:

snip
Exactly. The opening bid is more than they cost at HF, tack on shipping and you're WAAY over their real cost. They're worth the HF cost, but I wouldn't pay what it's going to cost you to get them from him. Go over to www.harborfreight.com and look them up, see what it will cost to buy them their if you realy want them. They don't go very fine, 320 grit IIRC.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

make
and
probably
fine.
Princess Auto sells a set of 3 2x6 diamond grit stones for $12.99 sale, $19.99 regular price up here in Canada.
Will

for

Nooooooo... the ones on HF are 2"x6", eBay 3"x8", both go to 360 grit DUDE! If I get them on eBay the cost totals to about $25, with handling (HF does charge a seperate handling fee BTW), tax and S/H at HF, maybe $3 less? Either way, anyone buying either is screwed-blued-tatooed and...* no matter what. I bought the big ones.
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
AAvK wrote:

I bow to your superior homework. %-) I was going by what I remembered seeing them for, at the store. They mighta been on sale, 'cause I don't remember them being that much, and I sure didn't measure them. OTOH, I don't have to pay S&H at the store either.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

definitely not

I thought of that after I posted the reply, $12.99 is $12.99. But that 8"x3" size is worth it.
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------030106070709040402080002 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
I got the HF version a couple of weeks ago (I think it was $9 or $10). I see there is a mention that one stone is 320 grit. Does anyone know the grits of each by color? It didn't say on the package.
Thanks, Art
Dave in Fairfax wrote:

--------------030106070709040402080002 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Exactly. The opening bid is more than they cost at HF, tack on shipping and you're WAAY over their real cost. They're worth the HF cost, but I wouldn't pay what it's going to cost you to get them from him. Go over to <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://www.harborfreight.com">www.harborfreight.com</a> and look them up, see what it will cost to buy them their if you realy want them. They don't go very fine, 320 grit IIRC.
--------------030106070709040402080002--

snip
The catalog says the progression is: blue coarse 180 yellow Medium 260 red Fine 360
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

I remembered the wrong number; it was 360. From the HF site: --snip-- Comes with three color coded grits: blue (coarse 180); yellow (medium,260); red (fine,360).
* Pieces: 3 * Size: 2'' x 6''
ITEM 36799-3VGA --snip--
P.S: Please learn to bottom post and to snip unnecessary text from your reply.
P.P.S: Note to Hax: You can easily hone a 2" wide iron on a 1x3" diamond hone plate once you learn how. Can you say "figure 8"? I knew you could. ;) (2x6" is gravy; an aircraft carrier.)
--
"Excess regulation and government spending destroy jobs and increase
unemployment. Every regulator we fire results in the creation of over

But my comments concerned the size needed for card scrapers and when using honing guides. I've used a 2x6" stone in both of those cases, but it was far from ideal.
On Fri, 6 May 2005 09:18:13 -0500, the inscrutable Hax Planx

Why do you say that? I've had no problem with either task on a 2x6. My DMT 600 grit stone is the mainstay of my sharpening system and I haven't found anything I can't sharpen on it. (Though the inside of gouges do well with the diamond cone.)
Hmmm, I use a General honing guide, where the wheel is off the stone. That might make a difference, but you could always mortise out a little pocket for the stone (or build up a block on a plywood flat) so it's the same height as your roller if you have an integral unit.
<shrug> I've always found quick and simple ways to use the tools at hand, though I know not everyone is wired that way.
------------------------------------------------------ No matter how hard you try, you cannot baptize a cat. ---------------------------- http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development ---------------------------------------------------

Well, I guess we just do some things differently. I use the honing guide on the stone because I want the roller and the blade to reference the same surface. As I'm finding out, there are many and various ways to maintain the cutting edge of a card scraper, but most of them involve jointing the edge, and it is better to do that with a stone that is significantly longer than the scraper. With a 6" stone you will either be making very small movements on the stone, or part of the scraper will be off the stone most of the time. The bigger stones are just a better tool for this job.
OK, I understand about clipping unnecessary wording out of the reply. I forgot. Sorry But why the "Bottom post" thing. As I read through a thread, I find it to be a pain to have to scroll down through the message to see the reply.

A: Because it breaks up the logical flow of the conversation.
Q: Why is top-posting bad?