Think like an egyptian

I picked up an exterior door with two thoughts in mind.
First was to salvage the 20x30 glass since it is old and has the dimples and is wavy. No particular project in mind just think it may come in handy. So I carefully removed the molding and salvaged the glass.
Second, and more importantly, was to salvage the wood. I scraped a little finish off to reveal beautiful Chestnut that could be useful for some project. Who wouldn't like to get their hands on a couple 7' Chesnut 2x6s. I carefully removed all the nails and got my spreader clamps. Surprisingly it started to come apart pretty easily. It was than I saw the glue lines and alternating grain on the tenons. The rails & stiles were essentialy veneered blockboard.
Guess I should have looked at the bottom edge of the door before going through all that trouble. All the 'wood' went in the dumpster this morning.

When I think like an Egyptian, I think of Susanna Hoffs....
Me too. What a hottie.
On 4/8/2011 1:40 PM, Robatoy wrote:

You win some, you lose some. Been there done that. ww

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgTPH5y1-ZI

You also might find that the glass is not re-usable if you have to cut it. I have found that with age, glass tends to go very brittle and will not cut where you want it to. Maybe a pro glass cutter will do a good job
George W Frost wrote:

that isn't correct. the glass isn't changing to be more brittle. it may either not be annealed well, or embedded dirt may prevent a good score without scrubbing it with something (blue scrubbie, for example).
regards, charlie http://chaniarts.com

LA:
It happens to everybody. That ithis won't occur again owes to your intelligence.
You're going to love--and never forget-- this one. We all know the word "scrutiny", which roots in the meaning of investigate/examine (scrutari) and ends at the Latin (scruta) for trash. Seems like an odd couple, no?
But there is a proverbial connection. "Man who buys goods without a hard look, might get trash."
Thanks for reminding my eyes to stay open.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey