Things to come?

Page 1 of 3
Often it has been discussed how to best collect dust created by a SCMS or CMS. The answer has almost always been, it cannot be done with great results. Many have shown devised setups that seem to work well but is it also reported that regardless of how well these modifications work there is still a pretty good mess to clean up. On top of that, the collector is most often stationary or part of a stationary stand. Changing direction for a bit here it has often been mentioned the seemingly excessive expense of certain brand tools and how the expense would prevent a person from ever considering that brand. As true with anything the initial cost of purchasing a tool will always be out of someone's price range. At one time PC products were a stretch for me, fortunately I have over come that obstacle. Back on topic, I was watching "Ask" This Old House today and noticed Tommy using a new tool. In recent months Tommy has been using a lot of new tools and not too coincidentally they are of the same brand. Is he or Ask TOH using a new sponsor? I have not seen credits going to this company nor does a search of this company on the "Ask" TOH web site turn up any results. Of all the wood working shows and talented professionals on these type shows I have never heard any discouraging words that would indicate that he does not carry the respect of most any wood worker. A viewer asked "Ask" TOH to help him out with crown moldings in his kitchen. The homeowner had been able to do most every thing himself but the crown moldings in a seemingly complicated area had him baffled. Tommy stepped in and showed how to cut crown molding for irregular angled corners with a SCMS. No coping, all cuts were done on the SCMS, right there inside the house. It took me a few minutes to realize that there was not a cloud of saw dust in side the homeowners house. For that matter I backed the video up and watched the cuts being made and again did not notice any saw dust escaping. Then I saw a black hose with green stripes in it. Hum the mostly black SCMS had a few green spots on it as well. Backing up again and forwarding frame by frame revealed the Festool name on the SCMS motor housing. The saw is not available for sale in the US yet so I would be sure that the saw was probably donated but it was certainly not promoted in the show or web site. Surely this is going to be another expensive product from Festool and many are not going to be able to justify the price of this machine. For those that make a living using their wood working tools I can see how this saw would be a big benefit when working inside a customers home and not having to set up shop in the rain or snow so many yards away from the project. Imagine not having to put up dust screens or go in and out side the home time after time to saw or sand pieces on the project. Imagine not tracking saw dust all over the house on the way outside to make another cut. Imagine this 2 hour crown molding job only taking 20 minutes because you spend your time working and not cleaning up, walking in and out side time after time for a 10 second cut.

justify the price for a casual ww'er. But I'm going to watch again for that episode, and start taking bets on the under/over price of a Festool SCMS.... Mark

Yeah, I can afford the Festool line also but the SCMS probably would not find itself in my shop as I have a 12" Delta CMS that I quit using in the shop about 7 years ago. Once I upgraded to a cabinet saw I literally quit using the CMS. If I have an outside job I pull the CMS out but that does not happen very often. It has been about a year since I have used it. IIRC I read an article by one of the WW magazines and a group visited the Festool factory and the saw was going to be under but closer to $1k than most any other brand. It did have some rather unique pluses that would set it apart. Here is the one I read about earlier.
http://www.festool.co.uk/artikel/artikel_weiterleiten.cfm?id (0

WOW.. I'm glad I'm an amateur! My TS and band saw combined were about $1,000 and I thought that $200 on sale for the Craftsman CSM was a bit high....
Then again, I just paid $2,500 for a lathe that I didn't really need... ;~]
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

LOL, It's all in what fills the bill.

Heheh - now thats a boat floater! ;)
On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 00:42:55 GMT, "Mike Richardson"

not exactly a good investment, but it sure is fun.. ;~)
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Yeah but, if you are turning on a regular basis, it has got to be much nicer on the more expensive lathe, right?
Was this the saw? http://www.festool.net/mediandoweb/index.cfm?sLanguage=English&ID_O_TREE_GROUPQ70&PARENT 63&AKTIVPROD=1 Seems that it is available in Germany. Click on the magnifier.
Leon wrote:

"tiredofspam" <nospam.nospam.com> wrote in message

http://www.festool.net/mediandoweb/index.cfm?sLanguage=English&ID_O_TREE_GROUPQ70&PARENT 63&AKTIVPROD=1
That is probably it however the view I always saw was from the right side of the saw.
"tiredofspam" <nospam.nospam.com> wrote in message

http://www.festool.net/mediandoweb/index.cfm?sLanguage=English&ID_O_TREE_GROUPQ70&PARENT 63&AKTIVPROD=1
A little better view
http://www.festool.co.uk/artikel/artikel_weiterleiten.cfm?id (0

Ahh thats the saw I had. Used it for quite some time, made some wonderful stuff with it.
O, and then I woke up.
Sigh.
On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 15:02:18 -0500, "Leon"

Honestly I think all the manufacturers to this point just stick a hole for a vacuum at the top of the guard and didn't put one iota into actually making it work. On my Bosch it can work half decent on thick material, 2x4s and the like. Anything thinner and I can see the dust go shooting right by the sides of the guard. If it just had more of a scoop to it at the bottom it would work. That's what it looks like to me on the Festool. It's also way WAY too constricted on the Bosch, it sounds like a freight train when I turn on the vac. So I don't think this is any particularly monumental invention, just someone spent more than 5 minutes on the dust collection.
And yes, Tommy can't go 5 minutes without breaking out a Festool toy. It's the only time he actually gets his hands dirty anymore. I know PBS has some rules about advertising so you aren't going to hear anything actually spoken about it, but gone are the days when they taped over all the manufacturers names.
-Leuf

I am not sure what the restrictions on PBS would be as Delta and Porter Cable, Miniwax, Vermont American, GMC etc. open TOH and NYW always open the show in Houston. Additionally PBS or not, the This Old House web site does not mention Festool but mentions Craftsman and other brand tools.
IIRC the restrictions that got Bob in trouble was him being paid for ads out side of TOH, working for Sears.
On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 22:26:43 GMT, "Leon"

They have time for ads at the beginning and end and that is all they are allowed, they can't do anything in the actual program is my understanding. When Norm has a project using specific hardware note he doesn't tell you where to get it, but it's on the plans. They introduced the Sawstop contractor saw version on Ask TOS, but I don't think they ever said Sawstop.
So Festool are being sneaky about it. And by not also having ads it looks more like hey, Tommy is just using Festool because it's so awesome.
-Leuf

You have a point there.

But, that is a true statement.
On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 23:45:38 GMT, "Leon"

And as soon as the Festool truck pulls up with my free samples of one of each from the catalog I will agree with you.
Any minute now, I'm sure.
I'd settle for them naming one of their bazillion lines of ROS papers with cutesy names after me.
-Leuf
I noticed the saw too .. but it seemed underpowered and bogged down when cutting.. That's what caught my attention..

The saw is variable speed and perhaps it was set too slow. Either way I provided a link to several video's of the saw in use. One video appears to be cutting a 3x10, full depth of the blade.
Here it is, and interactive video with sever choices of tools to llok at.
http://www.festool.de/ipt_domino /
Choose english and click the green arrows on the bottom right side of the display and then pick the tool.