Thin strong Ridged wood needed.

The wood needed is for a little project I am making, but it needs to be thin and ridged I don't want it toi bend, but I want it thin as well. I don't ask to much do i. :)
7 1/2cm by 25cm are the specs of the wood needed.
it would help to know the application, this would give a basis to understand the best wood for the job. ross
It's just a prototype gaming device I am making thats all. just need some thin as possible ridged wood, the size specified. I would use metal but, its a prototype :)
It's for FPS games. Just think holding a gun, but with the same presision of using a mouse. If your a gamer I think you would like it.
Wood is just easier to work with, also where I am cuttting metal makes tooo much noise and the peopel around me don't liek that.
/PS I do make other things from wood from time to time, but just now I dont need help with them.
Thanks.
On Sat, 31 May 2008 20:52:16 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Ross Hebeisen) wrote:

if you are looking for thin I guess I would suggest 3/16 or 1/4" plywood of some sort. ross
Not Wordworker wrote in

Maybe you should consider model aircraft plywood. It's usually a bass or balsa wood, but in very thin veneers. You can get 1/16" plywood with 3 or 4 plies!
Your local hobby shops should carry it, and Wood Craft might. (I didn't see any at my local store on my last visit, but I was too busy admiring all the other woods.)
Puckdropper

On 01 Jun 2008 14:46:50 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:>

Good suggestion, with the clarification that aircraft ply is usually birch or mahogany.
Other retail sources:
Aircraft Spruce (Larger sheets, they sell to full scale builders) Balsa USA National Balsa Lone Star Balsa
All can be Googled.
Not Wordworker wrote:

Not a lot of help here...I have no clue what a FPS game would be -- _how_ thick is "thin enough" and what kind of load and how much flexibility is allowable?
As for blind suggestions, the modeling plies are as good a suggestion as I would have, too...
<Not woodWorker> wrote in message

"Ipe" is extremely hard and ridged. Commonly found as out door decking material.

I don't want to be the spelling police but I'm confused.
Does the OP need "ridged" wood, ie wood that has ridges? Or is he looking for ridgid wood, ie wood that is fairly stiff? Could be a big difference, depending.

If you consider that he does not want it to bend I think ridged/stiff.
Doug Brown wrote:

Ahem...
Ridgid is a brand name of tools.
Rigid means inflexible.
;-)
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Word comes to mind... Wife...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Well true but ,
WordNet: ridged The adjective has 2 meanings: Meaning #1: having a ridge or shaped like a ridge or the keel of a ship Synonyms: carinate, carinated, keeled Participle of verb: ridge (meaning #5)
Meaning #2: having or shaped like a carina or keel Synonyms: carinate, carinated, keeled
I said I didn't want to be the spelling police :), plus I knew something looked wrong as I typed that.

That's okay. People mispell words all the time.

Rdgid wood is made by the Ridge Tool company...
--
FF

Most large craft stores (i.e. Michaels, Jo-Ann's, etc.) carry very thin plywood, usually in the same spot balsa wood is located. You may be able to find other solid wood sheets there too.
You could use thin metal sheets from any hobby shop or home center (Lowes, Home Depot, etc.) and use metal snips to cut it. No noise at all. If you need to make a hole, a hand drill probably makes less noise than a blender or hair dryer. I don't know if they still carry them, but RadioShack used to sell little handheld metal nippers. Squeeze the handle and it nips a tiny little chunk out of the metal sheet. You just nibble your way around the outside to make any shape you need, or drill a hole and nibble it to the size/shape you want. Again, virtually silent. Clean it up with a handheld file if needed.
Another option is to use plastic. You may be able to find plastic sheets at a craft store, or you could cut what you need from a plastic cutting board (cooking section of most any department store). Or check with a shop that installs car stereos. They usually have plastic sheets they use for making custom installs.
Plenty of options, just think outside the box... :)
Anthony

While looking at info on the new Bessey K-Body Revo clamps, I came across a nibbler made by Bessey. http://www.bessey.de/website/en/home/news/neuheiten/336.jsp ;jsessionid?1EB96428DBB5689B87F024B95D6DF6
On Jun 1, 2:20 pm, Not woodWorker wrote:

Rigidity (note, only one 'd', "Ridgid tools" are made by or for the Ridgid Tool Company which was first located on Ridge Rd in North Ridgeville Ohio.) is measured by Youn;gs modulus, also known as the modulus of rigidity (doh!). Young's modulus is also commonly called the 'spring constant' for the material.
All materials bend, the question is how much. For fixed dimensions, the higher the Young's modulus, the less it will bend under a specified load.
There are other moduli defined, like modulus of rupture. That is not what you want to compare, though for most woods it will probably scale with the Young's modulus.
You may find the modulus listed in tables of properties for various woods.
For common construction lumbers, Doug Fir or Southern Yellow Pine may be the best, for common hardwoods, perhaps hickory.
--
FF