Thin, slick, sticks to steel...

Page 1 of 2
I made a jointing fence to use with hand planes today. It's a piece of angle iron pop riveted to another piece of angle iron, with a hole drilled and filed out to allow clearance for the blade, so I don't accidentally booger up the edge. It lets me plane right to the edge of a workpiece, and get the edge of a board straight to 90 (or realllly close to 90...) very quickly.
It was a pretty clever way to get this done and save some money, if I do say so myself, and I'm going to post pictures eventually.
Anyway, the only big down side so far is that the wood this fence rides along is getting burnished. I can plane it out, but I'm particularly worried about depositing iron on oak some day, and running into trouble.
I'd like to face out the fence with something thin, slick, and which would stick to steel. I'd like to increase the thickness by no more than about 1/16" if possible, and there can't be any fasteners. Double sided tape would probably be too irregular, and would add too much thickness. Maybe I could super glue something on there, but I'm not sure what. Maybe thin sheet brass, but that could go bad if I leave a sharp edge.
Ideas? Preferably something I could buy without having to resort to mail order. Something laying around the house that I haven't thought of yet. :)
hanging grade formica..... tony

You can buy thin (1/32"?) sheets or rolls of UHDP (ultra-high density polyethylene) from Woodcraft, Rockler, etc. These sheets would glue on easily I'd think.
Or, maybe use aluminium instead of steel.
-JBB

and
say
:)
Interesting.. Maybe flatten and polish the face like the sole of a plane and follow with a couple good coats of wax?
Frank
Frank Ketchum wrote:

Interesting. Very interesting.
To glue on whatever material you face it with, contact cement should stick to that (clean) angle iron. Jon

Laminate a peice of High pressure Laminate with contact cement
Good Luck, George

Slippery tape:
<http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?SID=&ccurrency=1&page2182&cate gory=1,110,43466>
djb
--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Dave Balderstone wrote:

That's definitely something I need to add to my inventory. I can think of half a dozen uses already.
Cool!
a fence is nice but you are far better off learning to eyeball 90. it does not take that long and it is a very useful skill.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Steve Knight wrote:

I do OK eyeballing it, but this was my very, very first piece of walnut, Steve, and I wanted to get it absolutely as close to perfect as I could manage.
I managed pretty well, even if I did cheat. :)
On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 01:16:18 -0400, Silvan

I shot my very, very first double compound mitre in walnut, and I wanted to get it perfect without fouling up. It wasn't too bad, but it ended up buried underground and out of sight for eternity anyway.
There's a dead guy in it.
Andy Dingley wrote:

That's interesting.
I can't think of anything else to say. Mark your calendars. Silvan ran out of words! :)
On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 20:21:32 -0400, Silvan

I did a few cremation caskets this year.
I stopped, because every time I made one, it seemed that someone I knew died 8-(
Andy Dingley wrote:

That's not cool. :(

As long as it's not a grave conditon.
It was, however, part of a plot, to silence you. <grin>
snipped-for-privacy@horatio.agresource.com wrote:

I hope not anytime in the next 100 years.

<smack>

you will get there. but walnut is cheep worry about 25.00 or 50.00 a bf wood (G)
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Steve Knight wrote:

You gonna send me some to practice with? :)
Nah, nevermind. Whatever it is that costs that much, I don't even need to know about it. I have to set realistic goals. :)
On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 02:54:04 GMT, Steve Knight
Only that stripy American black stuff.
I had a lovely deal last year. Bought a couple of thick boards of "American" walnut and paid accordingly. Except that it was actually _Armenian_, which runs to at least 5x the price.
English walnut is nice (most of my stock is locally felled), but it's still not a patch on the Caucasian stuff.