Thicknessing Sander

I'm thinking about building a thicknessing sander - do you think 50"wide is overkill?
tillius
I give up, is it. Do you do many 50 inch panels?
--
Mike G.
Heirloom Woods

No. I was just thinking it'd be nice to be able to do an entire tabletop in one pass. As charlieb mentioned, I didn't think about the flexing issue.
If I could overcome it, it'd still be nice to be able to do an entire table top at once, but if not, I guess I'll scale it back to 24" or 26", belts would be cheaper that way anyway.
tillius
Tillius wrote:

Yes
(how are you going to keep it from flexing over a 4 foot two inch span? If it's metal, how are you going to lift it onto the unit the first time? You doing conference tables or commercial sized doors?)

Didn't think about the flexing issue. Just thought it'd be nice to be able to do an entire tabletop at once. Maybe I should scale it back to 24 or 26".
As a related note, does anyone know of any feed conveyer belt plans available I could get some ideas from.
anyway - thanks for the feedback.
tillius

You'd be doing that many tabletops or surfaces that would be wider than that to consider a 48" thickness sander?