Thickness planer

Hello
I'm looking to buy a 12 - 13" wood thikness planer The more infos I found, the more confused I am
Can I have your advise ?
Dewalt ???
Makita ??
Delta ??
Ridgid ??
Thank you very much for your help
Dany
Hello
I'm looking to buy a 12 - 13" wood thikness planer The more infos I found, the more confused I am
Can I have your advise ?
Dewalt ???
Makita ??
Delta ??
Ridgid ??
Thank you very much for your help
Dany
All are noisy but the Makita is reported to be less noisy. The current Ridgid design has been around for a while and most owners reports are good. It probably has the best warranty in he business with its Life time Warranty, and yes that currently covers wearing out with the exception of the knives. I have had a 10" Ryobi, probably the first portable ever made and it is 19 years old. I retired it last year and now use a stationary 15" Delta. If I were to buy another portable I would probably go with the Ridgid as first choice and the Makita as a second choice. Portables have become much like printers and ink cartridges, the planers are reasonably priced but the knives are disposable and will be a continuing expense.
<snip of good stuff Leon said...>

I've been keeping my blades up with a block of maple, wrapped with 800 grit wet dry abrasive paper. Haven't spent money on new blades in three or four years. Someday, probably.
It's a Ridgid TP1300, which I would gladly buy again.
Patriarch

I'll third that one.
On Thu, 03 May 2007 22:15:26 +0000, efgh wrote:

And I'll forth it--just bought a used one on craigslist at 1/2 price new, barely used, extra blades and dust hood. Impressive machine.

Read this
http://woodmagazine.com/wood/story.jhtml?storyid=/templatedata/wood/story/data/1161725979406.xml
Gaspareau wrote:
> I'm looking to buy a 12 - 13" wood thikness planer > The more infos I found, the more confused I am > > Can I have your advise ? > > Dewalt ??? > > Makita ?? > > Delta ?? > > Ridgid ??
Have had a DeWalt, DW733 for 9 years.
Knife sharpening is straight forward.
Easy to maintain, it doesn't owe me anything.
Lew
Hello
I'm looking to buy a 12 - 13" wood thikness planer The more infos I found, the more confused I am
One thing I notice - very few, if any, complaints about any portable model. That must mean that most of the companies have done a good job with a relatively cheap design. When I bought my Delta 22-580, my first use of it left my jaw gaping. I could not believe it did such a good job. If I were buying today, I might go for a bigger cast iron planer. I bought the delta with the plan to "get by" for a couple of years. That was almost 3 years ago. I still cannot believe I got it on a close-out sale at Lowe's brand new for $229.
Bob

If I hadn't gotten a DW735, I would have gotten one of these.

Gaspareau wrote:

I own, but cannot recommend, the Harbor Freight portable.
--
http://nmwoodworks.com/cube

Hello everyone
I finally made my choise
I bought a Dewalt DW735 at Busy bee in Ottawa 599$ canadians dollars they have a promotion and they "give me" a set of extra blade and the extension tables
I hope I made a good choise
Thank you for your advises anyway
Good woodworking every one !!

599$ canadians dollars they have a promotion and they "give me" a set of extra blade and the extension tables
I hope I made a good choise
You did and you'll enjoy using it.
--
Ed