Thickness planer:

Has anyone used the cheap light weight thickness planers from Delta , King , etc.? I'm looking for an planer that will be used on softwood mostly. Would these do the job? TIA.

Rey

Reply to
Reynaud

Naw, no one here uses any of those. I don't even thing it has been discussed before.

Oh, ok, that is sarcasm. You really should try a google search (use google groups, groups.google.com); this has been discussed to death. Actually, you should probably try entering the model numbers you are interested in since there are a zillion of them and they all have been discussed to death.

OK

Reply to
Paul Kierstead

I don't know any planers designed specifically for softwoods. The 12" planers are lower cost than 15", but that depends on what you want to plane. I have a Makita planer that does a good job, but there are others. They all snipe, but some snipe more than others. I guess by "light weight" you mean "portable?" With any surface planers dust collection is important. Stick with quality brands.

Reply to
Phisherman

Reynaud:

I have the King 12 1/2 " . You get a little snipe at the ends of the boards - but it works fine. Got mine a year ago. So far so good.

I have used it on Pine, Walnut Maple, Cherry, Yellowheart, Purpleheart, butternut, Oak, Basswood and even satinwood (Satinwood's even tough to plane by hand).

Got it at a woodshow for around $300 CDN - with an extra set of knives. Haven't even sharpened or turned over the first set of knives yet.

As for the minor snipe marks at the end? - I made one of those drum sander kits from Nicks

The poor man's jointer (Pauper actually). That cleans up the wood beautifully.

Reynaud wrote:

Reply to
Will