They got Stones!

Don't know how many people use whetstones. years ago my little brother gave me an Arkansas stone for my birthday and I used it to sharpen all my knifes. It worked well but had a few flaws that finally let to it cracking. A few years ago I started carving and ended up with some 100+ Pfeil tools to maintain. I looked at stones from the local and web woodworking stores and decided to try to go to the source. I found a place in Arkansas named Dan's that had significantly lower prices. I bought a soft, hard and translucent stones along with quite a few slip stones and was really impressed with what I got. I had bought the 8"x2" size then and liked them so much I just bought the same in 3"x12". I asked for the 1st grade and these things are massive, perfect and flawless stones. One happy camper I am.
No affiliation with them, here from Oregun, but if you in the market give them a look.
mark

I was in Hot Springs last weekend (the home of Arkansas novaculite). Being our anniversary weekend, I didn't test the wrath of SWMBO by looking at tools, stones, or the Hot Springs Lions Club gun show.
Maybe next trip. :-)
Kevin
Cool, maybe you could get me a homie discount ?
Gun shows, U a shooter also? I shoot high master high power at local matches..
mark
wrote:

translucent
what
Hot Springs is a tourist town, so most things are priced accordingly. You can buy direct from the quarries, but they don't want to do small volume or retail amounts.

I collect as I'm able (Allies WWI-II, and Commonwealth of all eras), and shoot when I get a chance (not just my collectibles, but also .22 benchrest and IDPA).
Kevin
markm wrote:

Arkansas is a pretty big place. City?
Somehow I don't think Dan's somewhere in the state of Arkansas is going to be enough information for anyone to track down this source.
"Larry" wrote in message

You would be wrong ... it took less than ten seconds. First hit on Google with the words "Dans" "sharpening" "Arkansas" is a link directly to their site:
http://www.danswhetstone.com /
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/13/04

brought forth from the murky depths:

Amazing. They're in Hot Springs where my family and I used to vacation every year. Lake Ouchita (washita) was where I learned to water ski amongst many lovely water moccasins. (poisonous snakes, Jeff)
So, what do the grades "coarse, medium, fine, and extra fine" mean to these guys? What grit equivalence?
8x3" translucent stone only $185.48, sold out at $111.29?!? And I thought Shapton got a lot of money for theirs? <thud>
--
Impeach 'em ALL!