There wouldn't be much to read here if all quotes were disallowed.

I'm guessing that his statement was kinda meant to be a dig. It might have been more pertinent and more accepted if he wouldn't have mentioned names in his query.
But it IS an interesting question.
Why do folks think that they need to quote from someone other than THEMSELVES?! Its almost like they're proud of having found something they find more clever and/or interesting and memorable than what THEY'VE posted!
Maybe we should make this a woodworking project for this weekend. If you want (everybody), sit in your quiet space and think of a tag line from YOU. Why quote from a person who, quite frankly, you might think is MORE worthy of a quote than yourself?
Most of my tag lines I've created myself. Most are meant to be comical and flippant...like the Joan Rivers tag. But some are meant to be more thought provoking...like the one I'll use this weekend.
Anyway...I'd like to see some home grown tag lines. There are some very knowledgeable, interesting people here. Surely they should be able to say something at the end that is more current and meaningful than from someone who died 100 years ago.
Just my 2 cents...
Remember to honor our troops...past and present.
And have a nice Memorial Day weekend.
Trent

Yes.
There are many who have gone before me that have eloquently expressed something in a way I haven't. I may choose to honor their wisdom, or ability to express their thoughts by quoting them in a sig line.
eg:
--
------
My best advice to anyone who wants to raise a happy, mentally healthy child is:
Dave Balderstone wrote:

If I know of a better way of cutting a joint, and that knowledge comes from someone else - and I transmit that to you - am I not quoting?
If I hear from my Grandpop that there was a better way of tuning up a handsaw - and I tell you about it - am I not quoting?
If I saw Tage Frid do a seminar on a particular process in wooddorking, that you were not privy to, and I later tell you about it - am I not quoting?
I like playing whack-a-mole with bad as much as anyone, but the essence of quoting is to bring a previous, perhaps shrper mind, into the discussion.
Regards, Tom.

Only if you quote it. What yer doin' is educating, however.

Only if you quote it. What yer doin' is educating, however.

Only if you quote it. What yer doin' is educating, however.

And I was talking specifically about tag lines, Tom.
But I do see your point. I just wanted to throw in my 2.
If someone was to quote something clever or enlightening that YOU said...something original...what would it be?
Remember to honor our troops...past and present.
And have a nice Memorial Day weekend.
Trent

"Bay Area Dave Sucks."
Zeke Change com to net for e-mail
that's hardly orginal, mentally challenged Zeke-a-geek.
dave
Zeke wrote:

My bid is below.
--

Greg

"Caution - quoting history's great people may stir feelings of inadequacy in
Awwww damn, all the kids have been playing so well together lately......                             Mark L.
Bay Area Dave wrote:

it was time to stir the pot...
dave
Mark L. wrote:

I feel so fortunate to be included among so many so much more gifted than me, not to mention, thee.
I include the following as a form of thanks.
"I shall never be ashamed of citing a bad author if the line is good." Seneca
"I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversation." George Bernard Shaw
"The point of quotations is that one can use another's words to be insulting." Amanda Cross
"A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool." Joseph Roux
"I might repeat to myself slowly and soothingly, a list of quotations beautiful from minds profound - if I can remember any of the damn things." Dorothy Parker
"I didn't really say everything I said." Yogi Berra
"Bay Area Dave Sucks." Tom Watson
Regards, Tom.
at least you included your OWN thoughts! :0
dave
Tom Watson wrote:

On Fri, 28 May 2004 18:17:30 -0400, Tom Watson wrote:

Damn it Tom! Some in *this* forum might think you're complementing BAD on a big score.
-Doug
--
"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul." - George Bernard Shaw
Doug Winterburn wrote:

pardon my pronouns. "You" should be "they"...twice.
Bay Area Dave wrote:

Snip

Probably for the same reason that some people include an area of the country as part of their name.
does that mean that Mike In Mystic needs to drop his nom de plume too??
dave
Leon wrote:

Off your med's again I see.
Bob S.

Or for a different perspective...
http://www.google . com/groups?as_epqy%20area%20donna&safe=images&ie=UTF-8&as_ugroup=rec. woodworking&lr=&hl=en11
Doug, try that one more time.. can't get to the url and I know it's gotta be a winner........;-)
Bob S.