There wouldn't be much to read here if all quotes were disallowed.

Doug, try that one more time.. can't get to the url and I know it's gotta be a winner........;-)

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob

I'm guessing that his statement was kinda meant to be a dig. It might have been more pertinent and more accepted if he wouldn't have mentioned names in his query.

But it IS an interesting question.

Why do folks think that they need to quote from someone other than THEMSELVES?! Its almost like they're proud of having found something they find more clever and/or interesting and memorable than what THEY'VE posted!

Maybe we should make this a woodworking project for this weekend. If you want (everybody), sit in your quiet space and think of a tag line from YOU. Why quote from a person who, quite frankly, you might think is MORE worthy of a quote than yourself?

Most of my tag lines I've created myself. Most are meant to be comical and flippant...like the Joan Rivers tag. But some are meant to be more thought provoking...like the one I'll use this weekend.

Anyway...I'd like to see some home grown tag lines. There are some very knowledgeable, interesting people here. Surely they should be able to say something at the end that is more current and meaningful than from someone who died 100 years ago.

Just my 2 cents...

Remember to honor our troops...past and present.

And have a nice Memorial Day weekend.

Trent©

Reply to
Trent©

There are many who have gone before me that have eloquently expressed something in a way I haven't. I may choose to honor their wisdom, or ability to express their thoughts by quoting them in a sig line.

eg:

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

If I know of a better way of cutting a joint, and that knowledge comes from someone else - and I transmit that to you - am I not quoting?

If I hear from my Grandpop that there was a better way of tuning up a handsaw - and I tell you about it - am I not quoting?

If I saw Tage Frid do a seminar on a particular process in wooddorking, that you were not privy to, and I later tell you about it

- am I not quoting?

I like playing whack-a-mole with bad as much as anyone, but the essence of quoting is to bring a previous, perhaps shrper mind, into the discussion.

Regards, Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

My bid is below.

Reply to
Greg Millen

I think he was referring to:

Greg Millen

Only if you quote it. What yer doin' is educating, however.

Only if you quote it. What yer doin' is educating, however.

Only if you quote it. What yer doin' is educating, however.

And I was talking specifically about tag lines, Tom.

But I do see your point. I just wanted to throw in my 2¢.

If someone was to quote something clever or enlightening that YOU said...something original...what would it be?

Remember to honor our troops...past and present.

And have a nice Memorial Day weekend.

Trent©

Reply to
Trent©

Nice Snippage!!!!

Philski

Reply to
philski

"Bay Area Dave Sucks."

Zeke Change com to net for e-mail

Reply to
Zeke

LOL! that's IT! you found me out!

dave

Woodchuck Bill wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

it was time to stir the pot...

dave

Mark L. wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

at least you included your OWN thoughts! :0

dave

Tom Wats> >

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Well, now see, you will soon discover the first rule of DVD storage: No matter what you build, your collection will grow to exceed it. Actually, mine significantly exceeds it...time to dump some DVD's.

Or, for hard disk space: No matter how big your hard disk is, the amount of free space is a constant.

Reply to
Paul Kierstead

and deprive you of some fun on a Friday night? No way!

dave

Tom Wats> >

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

does that mean that Mike In Mystic needs to drop his nom de plume too??

dave

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

in other words you can't think for yourself?

dave

Dave Balderst> >

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

that's hardly orginal, mentally challenged Zeke-a-geek.

dave

Zeke wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

it's much worse; I never went ON them.

dave

Bob wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Fri, May 28, 2004, 5:33pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Bay=A0Area=A0Dave) burbled: worst offenders: Joat,

ROTFLMAO I don't get by here a lot lately. I see you still haven't learned what an acronym is. For starts it's in all caps. I also see one of the reasons I haven't been here much lately.

Why do you all feel compelled to embellish your own thoughts with quotes

Homer, I was going to recommend you find a link to an on-line dictionary. Then realized you wouldn't use it anyway.

(often they are repeated for what seems like eternity , as a sig line)?

Damn, I was about to change mine. Now I've decided to keep it as is.

Does your license plate frame say, "If you can read this, you are too close"?

Nope, but I'm thinking about one that says, "I feel like I'm being nibbled to death by pissants". When you talk, do you quote the great philosophers to spice up your conversation with friends and family?

When you talk, do you drool?

Just wondering...

Just wondering.

Hmmm, maybe they need to increase your meds again.

(Sorry I have no memorable (or STUPID and LAME) quotes to furnish with this post.)

(That's OK Homer. You more than make up for that with this [STUPID and LAME] post.)

Do you even know where this is from?

JOAT "106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses." - Elwood

"Hit it." - Joliet Jake

Reply to
J T

Sat, May 29, 2004, 1:00am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug=A0Miller) Or for a different perspective...

That could well explain the med type. Well, I'm not cruel, and since there seems to be a certain lack of proper searching skills involved: