The Wreck (borrowed from rec.craft.woodturning) but applicable here

Lifted from RCW but worth posting here because it pretty well describes this group as well - charlie b

This ng has survived some of its members going AWOL or deserting. On occasion a few graduate and rise to a truly deserved turner's fame while one or two may have fallen into rank notoriety or ersatz sophistication. Sophomoric or crude spam, obnoxious trolls, subliminal self promotion, aggressive advertising, kneekick negativity and unwitting insults don't faze us. Chicken Littles, Pollyannas, self proclaimed authorities and COCs are without honor. Boring subjects, excessive verbiage, paucity of pics, witty one liner derailments, vulgar remarks and hurtful false assumptions are not suffered gladly. Mind numbing repetition, non sharing emails, misplaced OTs and downright wrong advice happen and are ignored.

Why does this forum prosper with all its warts & blems? I'll offer some suggestions with hopes you'll add yours.

We only neglect the _rare in woodturning, so we _rarely neglect the common in woodturning. We can think outside the box, but we know the way back in. We are aware of our lack of sophistication, but we aren't much impressed by that of others. We can acknowledge other's fame and mastery of the art or craft with cheerful respect without genuflecting. We enjoy looking at well made pieces and fine art, but we also recognize a honest & helpful teaching website when we see one. We laugh and learn from our mistakes, and happily acknowledge our screw-ups. A newbie becomes an intermediate in our eyes after his first post. We relegate PC, personal pronouns, nationalism and religion to appropriate places.

We forgive, forget and hold harmless those who stray and they are welcomed back with never a sneer. We count yesterday's obnoxiously wrong guy as today's friend and co-conspirator. We enjoy and appreciate all flavors and every facet of woodturning and we are friends to all woodturners of good will. We respect other turning forums and feel comfortable in joining in. but we are not a sept of any associaton or larger group.

RCW has a place for every personality. It includes those who love the craft and enjoy gabbing about it, but have a life apart from it. Not for everyone, but some favor the privacy and arm's length of the net with no need for further socializing. We understand that there are many reasons why 'mi casa' cannot be 'su casa'.

We even forgive a COC's interminablel musing. Well, sometimes. :)

Turn to Safety, Arch Fortiter

Reply to
charlie b

Looked on

and came up with nothing. Some of the more amusing candidates:

Continuity of Combustibility Cleaned Optics & Coronas Cast Out Cookies Climb on Course Children of the Cathedral Cult of Cod Colloidal Organic Carbon Council Of Colonels Canadian Orchid Congress Command Operations Center Commandant of Cadets Carnival of Carnage Circle of Chaos Cyclic Olefin Copolymer Contaminant of Concern Certificate Of Competency Call Of Cthulhu Corrosion Of Conformity Combined Oral Contraceptive

Mark & Juanita

Mark & Juanita wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Crusty old Coot

Reply to
Patriarch

... snip

Thanks.

Mark & Juanita

I assume that someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that COC means "Crochety Old Coot".

Although the term is meant to be an honorific, from personal experience I believe it refers to an irritating old fart who should, from time to time, be listened to nonetheless.

I don't much like the title but I can see that, as I age, that shoe is becoming a progressively better fit.

Bill

Reply to
W Canaday

Oh yeah. Up here in the high boondocks, we have the OFC (old farts club). We get together a few mornings a week, drink coffee and tell lies. creak, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Very adept definition, AFAIAC - and Ditto. LOL

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Hey, we call that the deadpecker bench.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

HEYYYYYYYYYY You owe me a coffee .... and a keyboard!

Reply to
W Canaday