The Wreck - And Politics - And A New Pledge

Page 1 of 2
Over the course of the past few months I have initiated a number of threads about Politics.
In some cases I just sailed off the paper airplane and watched what happened.
In other instances I have provided interlinear encouragement to keep the thread active.
Th Debil made me do it.
During the same compass of time I have started threads that were solely about WoodDorking.
While the Political threads bloomed and branched, in sum total creating over a thousand responses - the WoodDorking threads yielded less than a hundred.
We pretend, us Wreckers, to despise the intercession of the Politic - yet we jump all over it like a starving dog on a meatwagon.
We lie to ourselves.
From November of 1994 until three months ago, I said nary a word about Politics on the Wreck.
On the odd instance that I referred to it at all, it was with disapprobation.
Still, we stewed in the discussions from time to time and all of us were culpable.
Do I think that the Wreck should be "Politics Free"? Of course not. That would be unnatural - and I have always found the Wreck to be the most natural realm of public discourse - given that its main intent is that of WoodDorking.
I have heard the Wreck described as a neigborhood tavern, mostly frequented by WoodDorkers.
I have seen it described as a simulacrum of a country store, with a fine pot-bellied stove, around which we all gather to spin our tales and trade information - mostly about WoodDorking.
Most of us had Mommas that educated us to the degree that we would not introduce The Big Three into conversations with either strangers or friends - Sex, Religion, and Politics. Lordy, were we not paying attention?
Y'all do what you want - my personal experiment with talking Politics on the Wreck is over.
You have my personal pledge that I will not initiate, nor will I respond to any thread that has to do with Politics.
However, it would be nice, if the next time that someone starts a thread about Design, or Joinery, or Finishing - that the Group, as a whole, showed it the same level of involvement that has heretofore been resrved for Politics, or Religion, or Sex.
MHO
YMMV
Regards, Tom.
"Tom Watson" wrote in message

Yabbut, wreckers engaged in a political discussion, even a heated one, is one thing, ... the bickering with trolls who have never posted an on topic message is something else entirely.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/04/04

Some of us don't know the difference. In a few days of perusing this group my KF's over a hundred, probably a few non-trolls in there, anyone in a long discussion of politics is a candidate, I don't even read the threads.
C'est la vie.

Exactly. If you actually contribute to the wood working subject, I find no harm. If all you want to do is post OT go some where else.
Tom Watson wrote:

I would vote for having sex with politicians, but it's against my religion.
Silvan responds:

Michael, Michael. It doesn't work that way. Think of the reverse. You get screwed instead.
Charlie Self "Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them." George Orwell
[upper snip]

I entirely agree (with all you said actually) because I need more attention in this group as a learner, than most people care to give. Sometimes it is really a bummer about that. Too many people that can offer professional advice simply ignore me. Drat!
Alex

Quoting Pogo seems apropos. "We have met the enemy, and he is us." Or maybe Euripides has a more accurate assessment of what's going on?
I adjusted my table saw today after moving it to a new house. It had moved approx 0.030" out of square. With Mr.Bennet's fancy tool I managed to get the miter slot to within 0.5 though front to back (of the blade) and the fence to within 1.5 thou, falling wider at the back of the blade. Took all of about ten minutes....damn I like that TS Aligner Jr!
Now...it's onto the jointer.
Crap...did I just start another Bennet thread?
I also had to cut my Fine woodworking pipe-clamp bench from it's original 8' to a new 5' in order to fit it in the shop. In so doing I removed the long clamps as I never used them anyways and I installed a knock off or a Record 7" vise that I picked up for $30 CDN.... The bench seems quite happy, I managed to keep the planing bean and it actually went together again like it was meant to be. Imagine that.
Yesterday I got together with a couple of other guys and we milled a domestic cherry using an Alaskan chain-sawmill. That was cool and enjoyable, but what's cooler. is the 12/4 thick 16" wide 7' long slab I have in my carport...that cost $0. I have three years to think of a project for it. Also have some very nice pieces of spalted cottonwood...thinking boxes perhaps?
Had a friend pick up some Bessey 24" clamps for $25 each...Canadian. Yup, they're new. Seems HD up here is trading brands and were blowing them out. He went store-to-store-to store and bought 34 of them on spec. They're all gone now...
I asked my wife to go out and get some wood glue the other day and she came back with Elmer's (I like Titebond II). I groaned but tried it...and I think I like it!
night Tom
Rob
--

http://www.robswoodworking.com

"Tom Watson" < snipped-for-privacy@erehwon.com> wrote in message

complex glue-ups. Sounds like a SWMBO gloat.
wrote in message > gone now...

You better clarify which Elmer's you are talking about. Elmer's ProBond has a short open time compared to Titebond II.
donno what one it is.... I think the bottle said sumthin' about "safe for all primary grades" on it.... :)
Rob
--

http://www.robswoodworking.com

"Leon" < snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net> wrote in message

LOL Elmer's Pro Bond is in a round bottle about 2.5" in diameter and 7 inches tall. Big cap for easy refilling and has a large orange cone shaped cap.
(that's what it is, I'm just havin' a little fun. Shhhh...!)
Rob
--

http://www.robswoodworking.com

"Leon" < snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net> wrote in message

...........o.............k.................. That hook was pretty sharp.. ;~)
On 14 Oct 2004 14:46:19 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@diamond.boisestate.edu (Alex Feldman) wrote:

Is it significantly (i.e, noticeably) longer? Especially here in the dry desert, longer open times would be a really good thing. Strength seem to be the same as titebond?
Just an observation or two. For the most part, the OT political threads have been anti GWB in nature. Very few if any were startet as an attack against the Democratic challenger. In the recent past most have come from individuals that do not post or respond to on topic threads. I am guilty of reacting to the OT posts that ARE designed to ellicit a reaction. It has been demonstrated that, for example, Florida Patriot, posts , ducks and runs.
I have decided, therefore, to do my best ignore all OT threads started by FP, et al. If we all do that then perhaps the trolls will get tired and go away.
--
Al Reid

How will I know when I get there...
Al Reid responds:

You don't even have to ignore them. Just filter out anyone with a point with which you disagree. Saves a a lot of tensing up, I'm told.
Charlie Self "Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them." George Orwell
Tom Watson said:
<snip>

I hear ya, Buddy! I don't bother with filters, and occasionally look in on some of the OT posts. But it IS amazing how some of these things just won't die!
I watch the pleas for help from relative newbies go unnoticed, as the political dead-horse gets pummeled into pulp. Granted, many of the questions could be answered by DAGS - but that removes the personal touch and assurance that many novices find comforting. Perhaps you/we are just jaded and tire of answering the same questions time and again or perhaps we're just out of new/interesting ideas. I haven't seen an innovative thread on finishing or technique in ages - and I come here to glean knowledge on that type of thing!
I chalk it up to the fact that many people are deeply concerned at the direction the country, and indeed the world, is headed and this is their way of blowing off steam.
Personally, I'll be glad when it's all over. (Not life, just politics...the other will come soon enough!)
P.S.- All the candidates blow - Gen. George Hammond for President!
Greg G.